Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gs 430 Sport V Se. Comfortable Ride?

I guess this has been raised before, but does anyone have experience of the contrasting ride comfort between the SE and Sport GS430s? (The early 2001/2 cars, round lights)

I'm tempted by a GS430, but my main feature would be a softish ride (in contrast to you younger folk!)

I realise that the Sport isn't that, but just how 'BMW' is it?

The state of UK roads doesn't help any!

I swore I was 'off' big cars, but the bug is still biting a bit!

Stay warm, guys.

No direct experience from a day to basis as all my GS's have been sport models. However, I did test drive a standard mk2 GS300 for a mate, and whilst it was "softer", the sports are by no means harsh by comparison. The GS430 is a fantastic car.

• 2 weeks later...

Have had both and currently have the GS430 Mk 2 sport, standard GS430 is a bit softer ride wise but is more likely to wallow slightly round corners but not much in it to be honest ride quality wise as Tiger Fish says. Sport is the pick IMO as it is just as comfortable on motorways as it is on twisty country roads, handles much better than the standard GS430.

The early GS430 'sport' was just an SE with the body kit. Therefore the only difference in ride is from the larger wheels with the lower profile tyres. That doesn't really alter the ride too much.

In 2003 the real sport did come out with revised suspension which does stiffen up the ride a little and stops a bit of body roll.

The early GS430 'sport' was just an SE with the body kit. Therefore the only difference in ride is from the larger wheels with the lower profile tyres. That doesn't really alter the ride too much.

In 2003 the real sport did come out with revised suspension which does stiffen up the ride a little and stops a bit of body roll.

Good point. I changed the springs on my 2001 Sport to lower it (not sure if it was genuinely never lowered, or someone had it re-raised).

Genuinely never lowered. Lexus withdrew the sport in 2000 due to complaints of poor ride quality and it took them 3 years to bring it back after a new revised suspension set up. Initially it was going to officially come out in 2001 but they couldn't get it right so a few models were just given the cosmetic treatment without the mechanical revisions.

The original series II sport itself was never build as is from the factory, it was put together by Lexus GB once arrived in the UK using TTE styling parts, the OZ sport wheels and the Eibach lowered springs.

With the revisions in 2003 the shocks, springs and anti-roll bars were revised.

• 2 months later...

Genuinely never lowered. Lexus withdrew the sport in 2000 due to complaints of poor ride quality and it took them 3 years to bring it back after a new revised suspension set up. Initially it was going to officially come out in 2001 but they couldn't get it right so a few models were just given the cosmetic treatment without the mechanical revisions.

So to clarify, there weren't any Sport models officially marketed from 2000 to mid 2003 but a few were ordered & supplied to customers regardless?

Another thing I'd love too know is whether the Sport's revised Shocks, Springs & Anti-Roll Bars were exactly the same as the L-Tuned options marketed by Lexus in the States?

I'm tempted by a GS430, but my main feature would be a softish ride (in contrast to you younger folk!)

I realise that the Sport isn't that, but just how 'BMW' is it?

I've run a GS300 SE for 7 years & now have a GS430 Sport with the revised suspension.

They are different cars in the ride comfort stakes.

It depends how much you value the Sport's looks & handling over comfort.

The Sport is by no means uncomfortable but it is noticeably firmer.

I believe the L Tuned parts are the same - they certainly made the same OZ wheels available and the TTE front lip etc. The power steering module apparently is just a European ECU from a standard 430 which gives less assistance compared to the standard US one.

Most of the different in ride just comes from the bigger wheels / lower profile tyres. The suspension is a little stiffer just to compensate for reduced travel.

The US LOC forums say the closest replacement shocks to original L-Tuned are the KYB's (Excel-G). I fitted a front pair to my GS300SE a few years back & they were a tad firmer which does seem to bear this out.

I take it the Excel-G's are the way to go for maintaining the Sports' revised suspension?

Lexus supplied me with standard SE front shocks which were promptly returned when I realised they weren't original Sport spec. Of course the original Sport versions have not been available for a long time. Their official position is to change all 4 shocks & springs & convert the suspension back to SE spec!

I wouldn't think the shocks are too different from stock so the KYB's could be a good choice provided you can use the original springs. If you took Lexus' advise and replace all four then you might as well just replace to a set of coilovers, something like Tein Comfort Sports.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links