Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Picked the new LS up this morning.and have run in to a few small problems already.

1. Car came with two keys and two fobs. Set one works fine. The other key turns the engine over but the engine doesn't fire. Replaced the Battery in the fob for the second set,still no joy,won't lock/unlock or start the car. Assume knackered fob. Lexus only for a replacement?.

2. Locking wheel nuts. You know whats coming don't you!. Yep,no key.

3. Radio. No code. So will be stuffed if Battery disconnected.

4. Knocking from the front when on bumpy road or braking (very) hard. I swear I didn't hear this on the test drive.

Apart from that it's OK!.

No.4 could be worn front suspension arms. Mine clonk a bit when cold but, strangely, are quieter when the car's warmed up. When I bought the car four years ago my mechanic found some play in the arms but the car's gone through three MOTs since then without advisories about the suspension.

• Like 1

Just found a card amongst the paperwork which pertains to the locking wheel nuts. It has a four digit number on it. Also the date of 05.97. Can only assume that this would be a Lexus card,though Lexus isn't mentioned anywhere. I've had a quote of £30 to remove the lockers. I'll give Lexus a bell and see what they can do a replacement key for.

Picked the new LS up this morning.and have run in to a few small problems already.

1. Car came with two keys and two fobs. Set one works fine. The other key turns the engine over but the engine doesn't fire. Replaced the battery in the fob for the second set,still no joy,won't lock/unlock or start the car. Assume knackered fob. Lexus only for a replacement?.

2. Locking wheel nuts. You know whats coming don't you!. Yep,no key.

3. Radio. No code. So will be stuffed if battery disconnected.

4. Knocking from the front when on bumpy road or braking (very) hard. I swear I didn't hear this on the test drive.

Apart from that it's OK!.

One of the keys will a Valet key which enables you to get into the car but thats as far as it will let you go. Cant help on the others. Mike

• Like 1

Thanks for your prompt replies chaps. Just spoken to Lexus Tunbridge Wells who say they can't do anything for me 'due to the age of the vehicle'. Would a valet key be able to get the ignition lights on and turn it over then?. Does the key contain a transponder like my old Saab 93 did?.Regret no service book (hence the low price)and no codes in the handbook. Code may not have been set of course. Wishbones were replaced for last MOT,are they different to suspension arms?. So it looks like I'll have to trust the scrap metal chavs round the corner who say they can 'remove' the lockers. Thanks.

Wow, if the front wishbones have been replaced recently then that's a real result for you ...... if they used genuine Lexus parts .. at@£350 a side |!! ... the non Lexus parts seem to crap out after a year or two, genuine parts seem to last for, well, 17 years.

It probably doesn't have a radio code.

Locking wheel nuts, well, if you have a flat tyre I'm sure the tyre fitters will have the appropriate method ...... maybe ask them to sort it for you now and maybe save the £30.

Malc

Panic over!. Whilst rummaging around in the boot again,I noticed the slidey out tool kit on the offside. I'd forgotten all about that. Bingo - there was the wheel nut key in the case. I'd also forgotten about the secret compartment under the front passenger seat,that's got a first aid kit in it. Result.

Just been for a hoon around town and didn't notice the banging from the front this time.

Just leaves the key issue to sort out now then.

Whilst in the boot I unearthed the Alpine cd unit for the sat nav that's nailed to the dashboard. Probably cost an arm and a leg when installed,but probably well out of date now. I'll have a play with that tomorrow.

Sorry to hear you are off to a rocky start with your LS

Here are my suggestions :

1) Safest thing is to get either this fob or a new one from Lexus - probably cost around £150

2) New set of Locking Wheel Nuts are £20 - £30. Locking nuts can be sheared off but then you can't use them again.

3) As per other posts, the Radio Code should be in the Service Book - I can't recall if there is a default code of 0000 or 1234. You get 3 attempts before it locks itself.

4) Knocking could be front suspension arms or ball joints (known fault on the LS400) - I sourced a replacement set of arms from eBay for £150 and paid my local garage the same amount. Lexus dealers charge around £500 per side to replace and fix.

Good luck otherwise

John hi ,sorry to hear you are having a few teething troubles . One of my Mk3's came with two remote fobs with only one that worked ,fitting a new Battery made no difference so I used the following method to reprogram the thing to the car . It seems a bit of a faf but actually worked first time .

1. Start with key out of ignition, drivers door is open all others closed and
drivers door is unlocked.

2. Insert key into the ignition (Do NOT Turn) and Pull key out.

3. Perform these steps within 40 seconds.
A. Using the power lock switch on the drivers door, perform 5 lock/unlock cycles
starting with lock. Use an even pace and try to go about one cycle per second.
(1Cycle = 1 lock and 1 unlock).
B. Close, then open drivers door.

4. Perform these steps within 40 seconds.
A. Using the power lock switch on the drivers door, perform 5 lock/unlock cycles
starting with lock. Use an even pace and try to go about one cycle per second.
(1Cycle = 1 lock and 1 unlock).
B. Insert the key in the ignition cylinder.
C. Turn the ignition to ON (Do NOT Start) then back to OFF.
D. Remove the key from the ignition.

5. Press any button on remote for a minimum of 1 second.
System should now lock and unlock doors once.

6. Close and open drivers door.

7. Press any button on remote for a minimum of 1 second. System should now lock and
unlock doors. Once to confirm programming, twice to indicate programming failed.

8. Repeat steps 5, 6 and 7 for additional remotes.

My valet key starts the car and locks unlocks the doors ,it wont open the glove box or the boot .

The owners handbook says about the radio code, if the code has been set on the radio unit you will get SEC show up on the display for a moment when you turn the ignition key from OFF to the ACC position .It seems to be rare for them to have a code set .

Enjoy your new car .

• Like 1

Thanks for your replies. I just tried the above method to reprogramme the fob - and it worked first time. Thanks Rupert. So how do I go about getting the spare key to actually start the car?. It turns the engine over but will not fire. I don't much fancy paying £150 for one. The whole car cost me not much more than that!.

Update. Just tried the method involving depressing the brake and accelerator pedals etc,and it worked,I was able to start the car - once,then nothing again. Also can I clarify that I have the seperate remote/fob with three buttons plus panicfor getting into the car and a key with no buttons on to start it. The key that works is a Lexus one,the spare is a Silca.

John hi , the remote fobs you describe sound the same as my Mk3 ones , as for the keys if the non Lexus one is not a transponder key that has been programmed for your car then it will behave as you describe . I can only assume that pushing certain pedals overides the immobilizer in some way to allow the car to start ,if that is the case it is not much of a theft deterrent .

I have had a spare key done at a local key cutting shop, the wife looks after this in case I lock my keys in the boot again , the key opens all the doors and turns on the ignition but wont start the engine . Will have to try that pedal trick to see if I can start the engine with it .

Glad you have got your other fob working ,its good to have a spare .

• Like 1

Just a thought - Try starting the car with the Silca key when you have the original key close to the ignition. See if it starts. Then try this again with the original key left in the house.

If it starts at the first time and not when the original key is not present, you can be 100% sure it hasn't got a transponder chip.

Not sure if this will work, but worth a try :)

• Like 2

I have only one reservation on this nugget you have discovered ,the security of your car is now compromised .

The fact that a non licenced key transponder can be made for your car means it can be replicated by anyone.

• Like 1

I have only one reservation on this nugget you have discovered ,the security of your car is now compromised .

The fact that a non licenced key transponder can be made for your car means it can be replicated by anyone.

Funny you should say that Ambermarine,as he was doing it I was thinking this. But I think he would work on better (well.more expensive anyway!) cars to have his eye on. He picked the lock of a newish 6 series Beemer in less than 90 seconds at the station the other day as Mr Beemer had locked his keys inside somehow. The bloke didn't even miss his train!.

Surely the key is matched to the car that it's been made for and no others. At £45 as opposed to what Lexus would charge,which would you go for?. A lot of the local dealers bring customers car's to him to do the keys. He does it in about twenty minutes,the dealer then charges the customer an exorbitant amount to get their car back.

Well what i meant was did you not have to program the key to the car because on the Mark 4 you have buy the blank key - get it cut then program it to operate the central locking and then program it to the car so it also starts the car - so 2 types of programming required - ive personally been there and done it.

The system I've got uses a seperate fob for the central locking. I got that working the other day after advice on here. Yes,he cut a key,made sure it worked in all the locks then put in the chip and programmed it to the car. It works fine,which is all I want.

Knocking sounds on sharp braking could be control arm bushes rather than the arms themselves.....they can be trouble to source depending on which ones they are

I had a deafening "rattle" sound when braking over uneven/cobbled surfaces - Bushes identified by mechanic as the problem (perished rubbers over time)

I have replaced lower control bushes with "Febest" ones which I doubt will last very long - Strut bar bushes I have on order via Amayama.com

My knocking sound is considerably reduced since the lower bushes were replaced, and I expect it to go completely once the Strut Bar bushes are done in a couple of weeks time

Thanks for your prompt replies chaps. Just spoken to Lexus Tunbridge Wells who say they can't do anything for me 'due to the age of the vehicle'.

I hope you took them to task over this. I'd be asking what, then, exactly was the cut-off age for support. Toyota know I have one of their vehicles (and if not through the dealer's parts counter then through DVLA). I've never been notified in writing that support has ceased, or is about to cease. (And to their credit, I can still get most parts OEM for a 20-year-old vehicle - which was never the case with Ford.) For such a premium brand, I would expect parts and knowledge to be available at any Toyota or Lexus dealer until the very last one had been scrapped! Total blue-sky thinking of course, but they could - and should - be more transparent about their design life policy.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links