Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Went And Bought This Today

After having owned the W126 S-class Mercedes, I always wanted the W220.

Saw a nice S320 up for sale not too far from me so went to have a look. Couldn't resist and I bought it.

I figured it's my 45th b'day in 3 days so I deserve a treat :)

I must say I'm pleasantly surprised with the way it drives and handles.

Now sitting proud next to the Ls :)

post-26221-0-44664200-1411844410_thumb.j

post-26221-0-76132700-1411845208_thumb.j

post-26221-0-51284200-1411845337_thumb.j

A nice birthday treat indeed - looks very good.

I had a couple of w126s myself - a white 420SEL (2000-2012) and a black 500SEL (2005-2013). Both now sold and replaced by two Mk 3 LS400s.

I liked the w126s - hence the long period of ownership - but on balance I think I prefer the LS400s. I hope the keep them for a long time too.

Enjoy the w220!!

• Like 1

How does it compare.......

As a die hard Ls400 fan I find it hard to admit that I might like the Merc better than the Ls.

The interior is nicer.

It handles better

The airmatic suspension is superb

Obviously, being a 3.2 it isn't as fast as the Ls, but certainly not slow either.

Engine noise in the cabin is at par with the Ls.

Road noise is less

Wind noise is less

Hope it serves you well. Lot of car for the money, better looks than the LS430 and that bonnet star still appeals. :) I looked at getting one of these before narrowing the search down to late LS400s.

The chrome surround on the wheel arches is a nice touch. Looks a nice car. Service history?

I disagree, and I'd want to get them off for looks, but more importantly to check whether MB's well-known rust issues of the period are showing up here.

Don't get me wrong, I suspect the S220 MUST be better than the LS400 (it was developed after it and MB had to up their game), but I'm a bigger fan of Sacco-era MBs.

• Like 1

Very nice Rudy, If my LS was to break, (which isn't likely...) one of those in an estate would do nicely

Bad news: MB's never done estate versions of the S class. Over the years, they've tried some styling prototypes, but they were all hideous.

Here's one :)

And it matches brilliantly with the colour of your Ls Ian :)

But that's a one-off third-party conversion. MB would never do that to the S class, just as Lexus would never do it to the LS.

And it's fugly!

:)

• Like 1

Whenever I see any car with those chrome trims around the wheel arches, I cringe as I don't like the look of them and some owners use them as a way to hide any rust.

My biggest gripe with that S-class was that it wasn't as well built or as solid as it's predecessor. Just my opinion though.

These types of cars do represent great value on the used market - it's just ashame that the service & running costs don't go down the same way !

• Like 1

Buy them soon ish if I were you if you want them. I understand the EU is about to ban the sale of chrome stuff and re-chroming due to the nasty stuff in it and people being infected with Chrome disease or whatever ............... . I jest not guys

Malc

I thought the wife polished up well.

Joking aside this EU thing is going absolutely balmy, all internal combustion lawn mowers are going to need an Emissions test and all those on sale for the last 40 years are going to be consigned to the great lawn in the sky and we are going to be forced to buy new onesas the old ones will never pass the test. The Henry vacum cleaner is also being consigned to the rubbish heap as the motors are to big in them for the EU. Compared to a Citroen 2 CV I suppose an Henry is quite powerful. How the police are going to catch us using these disgusting bits of machinery is something I am not sure about so if you have any suggestions I am sure the EU will be very thankfullas will the LOC membership. Mike

Hope you enjoy your new S-class.

After a couple of Granada's, my first luxury car was an 380SEL - felt like a barge, but I loved it!

The new luxury cars are now in a different league - air suspension with all the toys to keep us boys happy.

When I was looking for a car to supplement my SC, I went for the LS due to it's quality and rarity.

I love my LS but can understand the purchase - hope you enjoy it. :-)

• Like 1

Phil, thanks for the link, but at £45 each (plus £15 postage) I've decided I can live without my bit of bling! As to all comments regarding the new EU regs coming our way, the sooner we leave this interfering bunch the better.

• Like 1