Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I have recently purchased a Lexus IS 250 SE-L – 2009. It is fully loaded with all the extras
and drives well.

I recently went out in it one evening and used the windscreen washers and as the headlamps were on the headlight washers came on as well. When I got home, I noticed the washers had not gone back into the bumper. I took it back to the garage and they thought it was to do with the pressure of the washing system but will investigate further. The manually pushed the washers back in and advised not to use the windscreen washer at night.

Is there a simple solution to this or will they have to replace the headlight washer motor – under warranty?

Don't use the washer at night ... WHAT

They may have just said don't use the car at night when its raining.

With the headlights on when washing the screen then there is a feature on the car that will, only once, operate the headlight washers as a default setting when cleaning the screen. This only happens when the headlights are on. When the headlights are off, cleaning the screen does not initialise the headlight washers.

I am pretty sure that's its an MOT failure if they are not working as if the car has HIDS then it needs to also have the washers fitted as standard so they do need to work.

My question to the garage would be, if they also gave you a full years MOT when you bought it, why did they pass it if they were not working?

let me get this right

the washers come on when you are driving with the lights on and when you use the window washers? they also come on when you hit the washer button on the dashboard? (lights on also i assume)

let me get this right

the washers come on when you are driving with the lights on and when you use the window washers? they also come on when you hit the washer button on the dashboard? (lights on also i assume)

Yes, that is correct and they don't retract.

On a related note - I've noticed that when I use my windscreen washer at night the headlights sometimes seem to dim briefly. Is this anything to do with the headlight washer?

I had somebody scrape my car and they broke off one of my headlamp washers. I bought the parts myself and installed it. Had the same issue of the new one not going down properly. After some investigation it turned out that the new washer cap was too tight and hence it was getting stuck when being lowered back into the bumper. This wasn't an issue when it was engaged because of the sheer pressure.

I just left it and it improved with time. It's perfectly fine now.

If you want you can remove the washer cap and then try the washers. A plastic nozzle should come out of the bumper and go back in smoothly. If it doesn't then you've got a different issue.

these washers, mine work when you push the button on the dash, i never knew they came on when you put on the window washers? does this happen only when its moving at speed?

A prerequisite is the headlights being on. Nothing to do with speed.

When your lights are on and you wash the windscreen then the headlight washers will activate once.

If you have not stopped driving since washing the screen the first time and wash the screen again then the headlight washer will not activate. They will only activate at that point if pressing the headlight washer button.

Also, while on the topic of headlights, did you also know that they are adaptive ones?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links