Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Evo Magazine Writer Contacted Me About The F....help Needed...

Hi chaps, I was contacted yesterday via e-mail by a chap who writes for EVO magazine from time to time and he has asked to speak with me about buysing a used F.

He found me through Piston Heads.

i have collated some point as per below....any thoughts for when i catch up with him?

Exterior tweaks/upgrades:
Suspension upgrades for better damping and spring compression rates – 2011
Mechanical LSD – 2011
Day time running lights (LED) – 2011
Slightly firmer steering - 2011

Interior tweaks:
- Piano black centre console surround
- Moved ‘Sport’ button to steering when so easier to reach
- Amended dash to be in line with the LFA, small Speedo and giant rev counter.

Issues:
Leaking water pump on American models but not seen this on UK models.
Had front lights replaced due to misting up.
Had oil transmission pipe replaced to due to a small leak.

Performance:
Averaging 22.5 MPG over 5.5k miles. Had as much as 32.3 on the trip on a motorway run.

Stu

Conversation now held. He wanted to understand servicing costs, running costs, purchase cost, known issues and generally about the car.

I pointed him to the link on his forum around issues we have had with our ISF's. Also pointed him towards Lexus Woodford.

Only negatives i could think of were firm ride but stated this was expected for such a car, exhaust note was to quiet for me, Nav was a bit dated, should have been more driver modes and mentioned throttle controller and poor Iphone integration. That’s it!

He said that the more he researches the car the more he likes it and was stunned that there are no common issues. I mentioned the Americans had water pump issues but not a issue over here. I am not aware of any indys who service the ISF’s so stated that as well.

He was also impressed by depreciation, ot rather lack of. Asked him to let me know when the article will be issued.

Looking forward to it.

Stu

• Like 1

That's good news. Evo have a very informative 'buying used' section each month, so a positive write up should help values. They gave it a 5 star rating when it came out, which certainly helped my choice.

What was his name Stu?

That's good news. Evo have a very informative 'buying used' section each month, so a positive write up should help values. They gave it a 5 star rating when it came out, which certainly helped my choice.

What was his name Stu?

Agreed. It was Peter Tomalin. He was very impressed with running costs. Was a good chat.

excellent. As an evo subscriber I await the issue with excitement. Evo ran one for a while too...

Didn't know that. Did they do a long term review of it?

Yes they did monthly updates for around a year. Here is a link to the final summary:

http://www.evo.co.uk/lexus/is

only the Germans do the 155thing, Japanese cars don't tend to follow that rule. It was one of the marketing things used by Lexus at launch. I'm sure evo had some videos online too but I cant see them anymore. it was evo's reviews at the time that, when I saw one on the road 18m ago made me want to buy one. Six months later I did... Its pretty cool to have been contacted by evo. Did they take any photos of your car? Maybe offer it to them for a group test? The magazine now includes older cars much more often...

only the Germans do the 155thing, Japanese cars don't tend to follow that rule. It was one of the marketing things used by Lexus at launch. I'm sure evo had some videos online too but I cant see them anymore. it was evo's reviews at the time that, when I saw one on the road 18m ago made me want to buy one. Six months later I did... Its pretty cool to have been contacted by evo. Did they take any photos of your car? Maybe offer it to them for a group test? The magazine now includes older cars much more often...

No it was just for a owners perspective and to understand running costs. I asked him to come the rr day we had but it was to short notice.

chuck him an email and suggest isf v m3 v whatever Audi it was at the time old group test in wales... Offer your car... You never know! Mind you you'll have your car thrashed by a journalist which may not be so much fun. They can use mine if they like (but its not as pristine as yours...)

chuck him an email and suggest isf v m3 v whatever Audi it was at the time old group test in wales... Offer your car... You never know! Mind you you'll have your car thrashed by a journalist which may not be so much fun. They can use mine if they like (but its not as pristine as yours...)

Yeah im alright! lol

Don’t fancy a gerno ball bashing my f ta. He didn’t give away anything in terms of the main article just said he would like an owners perspective. I offered up the chance to speak with other owners but he declined. I was surprised he did as he almost seemed not to believe the stats in terms of depreciation, running costs, reliability etc when coupled with performance. It was almost like he was steadily coming around to how great the cars are but struggling with the concept.

The Evo used car guide on the F is actually already available to subscribers to the digital version of the mag. Ive cut and pasted it here.

Enjoy!

Rare creature, the IS F. Only around 230 have been sold in the UK since the model went on sale in early 2008, and now, with the arrival of the RC F coupe, production has ended. But it’s well worth seeking out, for here is a car that combines all the performance of a V8-engined M3 or RS4 with the build quality and engineering integrity that have become Lexus bywords.

The £51,000 IS F was aimed squarely at the German duo (and the soon-to-arrive Merc C63 AMG) and was a radical departure from Lexus’s usual fare: the LFA supercar, developed by many of the same team, was still almost two years away. Under the widened arches and sharpened snout, it bore scant relation to the regular IS, with a bespoke, 417bhp, high-revving 5-litre V8, rear-wheel drive, an eight-speed auto with paddleshift, switchable stability control, a trick limited-slip diff that used electronics to brake the spinning wheel (torque vectoring, we’d call it today) and every electronic gadget imaginable as standard. Oh, and the lowered and stiffened suspension was tuned at Fuji Speedway – hence the ‘F’.

It was quick all right: we recorded 0-60mph in 4.7sec and 0-100 in 10.9, while the claimed top speed was 173mph. And it handled, too, though it was even better after a Torsen limited-slip diff was introduced in March 2010. The other major changes came a few months later for the 2011 model year – notably new springs and dampers that took the edge off the rather stiff ride; other tweaks included a new multimedia system, a larger central rev-counter similar to the LFA’s, and daytime running lights.

Though major faults are extremely rare, they can be expensive to rectify. For peace of mind, Lexus offers extended warranties, costing up to £700 a year for comprehensive cover.

The UK annual sales target was only 150 cars, but the IS F never came close. The badge was probably too much of a handicap in a marketplace where brand is everything. If only the LFA had been able to work its halo effect earlier. But that rarity could yet enhance future values, making the F an even cannier buy. And the catch? There really isn’t one.

Checkpoints

Wheels and brakes are costly to replace

Engine has a reputation for being bulletproof

Ensure all the gadgets work inside

Exhaust system from the cat back costs over a grand

Engine and transmission

The IS F’s all-aluminium quad-cam V8 was loosely based on the unit from the LS460 limo, but extensively modified: two-stage intake system, cast aluminium intake manifold, direct injection, unique heads with variable valve timing and titanium intake valves, and forged crankshaft, con rods and cam lobes. It’s very much the real deal, and the best news is that it’s so far proven to be exceptionally reliable and issue-free. Neil Vaux, of Lexus Woodford, says: ‘We just haven’t seen any problems with them. But do check that it’s been serviced on schedule and with the correct oil. Any skimping here could be expensive later.’ And no cam belts to worry about either, as all Lexuses use timing chains. Owners in the States have reported problems with leaking water pumps, but even that doesn’t seem to be a recurring issue with UK cars.

The eight-speed auto ’box is similarly issue-free, but be sure to check it in both auto and manual modes on the test drive: shifts should be clean, quick and smooth, both up and down. On a general note, not all Lexus dealerships are experienced with the IS F, such is its rarity, so it’s worth checking how far you’d have to travel for servicing.

Suspension, steering & brakes

The IS F is a heavy car – 1714kg – which takes a toll on tyres and brakes. Reckon on 12,000-15,000 miles from the rear tyres, a lot less if you go on track. Check the tyres are matching and a good brand: if not, the previous owner may well have skimped on maintenance too.

The IS F uses brembo cross-drilled discs with six-piston front and two-piston rear aluminium calipers, and full replacement costs around two grand, so check their condition and budget accordingly. Again, check invoices to see if correct replacement parts have been used. It’s not uncommon for the 19in BBS forged aluminium wheels to exhibit bubbling, but check for anything other than cosmetic damage – new replacements are £1400 each.

Body, interior & electrics

Check the headlights for misting. Inside, test the driver’s seat for any rocking on its runners. The leather on the side bolster can wear too. Ensure all the electrical systems work, including the touchscreen, the satnav’s DVD drive and the excellent but occasionally glitch-prone Mark Levinson hi-fi.

Potent V8 and well-balanced chassis mean sideways action is always an optionPotent V8 and well-balanced chassis mean sideways action is always an option

IS F is a worthy M3 rival, so it’s a shame so few buyers chose the Japanese carIS F is a worthy M3 rival, so it’s a shame so few buyers chose the Japanese car

What we said

IS F v M3, May 2008

‘After a few minutes of gentle pottering I’ve genuinely forgotten that this is meant to be something special. The eight cylinders are emitting little more than a hushed murmur, and apart from a ride that’s slightly firmer than you’d expect from a luxury saloon, there’s relative serenity… When I venture above 3700rpm for the first time it’s like passing some magical threshold. A fantastically loud WOOAAAAARR! erupts instantly as a second intake port opens and the IS F surges forward.

‘It will squash you deep into the seat, the torrent of power unrelenting as each shift bangs home seemingly without a break. On the downshifts you get proper blips, the flourish from third to second sounding particularly good…

‘It’s the way you can subtly adjust the Lexus’s attitude through a corner that’s the most enjoyable thing. It stays remarkably flat, and the outer limits of grip both at the front and rear have a wonderfully fluid quality, so you can play with the car’s cornering balance. The stability control is brilliantly judged, too, allowing perfect levels of drift and slip before getting protective’ – evo 117

‘I bought one’

Stuart Stanhope

‘I bought my 2008 IS F about a year ago. It had 51,000 miles on the clock at the time and I’ve put on 5000 since then. It’s used mostly at weekends on a mixture of journeys, some locally, some around London, occasionally longer trips.

‘I’ve had a couple of things fixed under the manufacturer’s extended warranty: a transmission oil pipe leak, which I seem to have been the only person in the UK to have suffered, and I had the headlamps changed because they had a bit of mist in them. Otherwise it’s been faultless.

‘Running costs, considering the performance, have been very reasonable I think. The 50,000-mile service was £350 at my local Lexus dealer. I’ve got the big 60k service coming up. The initial quote was £900, but by getting a quote from a Toyota dealer I managed to get them down to around £600!

‘A set of front pads and discs fitted can cost around £1200 from a dealer, but if you buy the parts yourself you can save £300-400. Fuel consumption has averaged out at 22.5mpg. On a 70mph motorway run I once got 32.2.

‘Criticisms? The ride is firm in an early car like mine and the standard exhaust’s note isn’t great – I’ve had an aftermarket system supplied by Hayward & Scott for £850 and now it sounds fantastic. Really, though, it’s just a terrific car.’

Data

Specification

Lexus IS F

Engine V8, 4969cc

Max power 417bhp @ 6600rpm

Max torque 372lb ft @ 5200rpm

Transmission Eight-speed auto with paddleshift, rear-wheel drive

Weight 1714kg

Power-to-weight 247bhp/ton

0-60mph 4.7sec

Top speed 173mph (claimed)

Price new £51,000 (2008)

Parts prices

(Prices from Lexus Cambridge, www.cambridge.lexus.co.uk. Tyre price from blackcircles.com. All prices include VAT but exclude fitting charges)

Tyres (each) £191.19 front, £188.69 rear (Michelin Pilot Super Sport)

Front pads (axle set) £412

Front discs (pair) £594.48

Damper (single, front) £230.97

Front exhaust, including cat £1408.77 per bank

Cat-back exhaust £1045.99

Spark plugs set £126.24

Servicing

(Prices from Lexus Cambridge, www.cambridge.lexus.co.uk, including VAT)

Service every 10,000 miles or 12 months, whichever is sooner, alternating A and B:

A service £295

B service £545

60,000-mile service £895

What to pay

You might get very lucky and find a well-cared-for IS F for less than £20k, but the eternal rules of supply and demand mean that even early IS F values are holding pretty well. At the time of writing there were just six IS Fs for sale in the UK and the cheapest was the 58-plate example below at £21,975. Even high-mileage cars tend to be in the £21k-25k bracket. 2010 cars onwards with the Torsen diff are sought-after – low-milers are £30k-plus – and there’s another, similar jump in prices for 2011MY cars with the improved ride, DRLs, etc.

Useful contacts

lexusownersclub.co.uk (UK forums, advice, events)

clublexus.com (US-based forums)

usedcars.lexus.co.uk (dealer network cars for sale)

pistonheads.com (cars for sale, forums)

autotrader.co.uk (cars for sale)

forsale.evo.co.uk (cars for sale)

The rivals

BMW M3

Available as coupe or saloon, the E90/E92 M3 (’07-’13) has a high-revving 414bhp V8 and a superb chassis. Prices from c£19k.

Audi RS4

Another high-revving 400bhp+ V8, this time driving all four wheels, the B7-gen RS4 (’06-’08) starts at c£16k.

Mitsubishi Evo X

If it’s Japanese performance you’re after, an Evo X (’08 onwards) is worth a look. £20k gives you the pick of FQ-300s and the blisteringly quick FQ-360 derivative.

In the classifieds

2008 (58) IS F

£21,975

57,889 miles

Palladio Silver with black leather

Bluetooth, etc

Dealer warranty available

usedcars.lexus.co.uk

2010 (59) IS F

£23,995

64,000 miles

Blue with ivory leather

One owner

FSH

Facelift model

HDD satnav

Bluetooth

vgsautos.co.uk

2012 (62) IS F

£37,990

13,467 miles

Silver with black leather

One owner

Full service history

DVD satnav

Bluetooth

jemcacargroup.co.uk

• Like 2

Thanks! Good read and shows once again just how good the car is. Faultless performance with very reasonable running costs.

I definitely said brakes and discs are 1200 ish all around, not only fro fronts. Minor point I guess.

Nice read...and they mention the cost of Michelin tyres. I know Peter swears by his Vredesteins but are Michelins good then? It's coming to that time when I will need to change my rears and don't know what to go for. Keep it OEM or change.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links