Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Vin Number And Timing Belt Queries.

Morning folks. I don't have the service history for my recently acquired 1997 MK3,that's why it was cheap. I have tried to find out any Lexus dealer history on their portal,but the VIN number keeps coming up as not recognised. Should I be worried?. Also I recently read on here that the timing belt interval is 60,000 miles or 6 years for a MK3. Is that right?. I understood it to be 90,000 for some reason. She is on 130,000 miles now. I would assume (a dangerous thing) that if the interval is 60,000 then at least the first change was done. So the next one was due 10,000 miles ago,and I don't know if it's been done!. As I thought at the time that it was a 90,000 mile change,I assumed it was done at that mileage and would be good for another 50,000.

I'd be somewhat worried if I had any faith in the portal.

Try using your VIN on the following site to see if it is somewhat valid.

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/q.html

In 1997 the service intervals were 9,000 miles, I believe timing belt is at 63,000 miles rather than at 90,000.

• Like 1

If you don't know the history or have the history for pure peace of mind have the cambelt changed,better safe than sorry

indeed, or at the very least inspect the belt. The MK3 has an interference engine so you don't want the belt failing :o

• Like 1

If you don't know the history or have the history for pure peace of mind have the cambelt changed,better safe than sorry

indeed, or at the very least inspect the belt. The MK3 has an interference engine so you don't want the belt failing :o

Would it be a reasonably easy job for a mechanic to check the belt?. Is it visible without having to take the engine apart?.Thanks.

Would it be a reasonably easy job for a mechanic to check the belt?. Is it visible without having to take the engine apart?.Thanks.

It didn't look as if it would be quick/easy to see judging by what I saw when I went along when my Mk4's TB was being changed.

Quite a lot of the front end had to be removed, and I presume the engine has to be turned over by hand bit-by-bit to properly inspect the whole of the belt for signs of wear. It's about 4ft long, I think.

• Like 1

I'll be honest with you.

For the value of car don't bother with timing belt unless the water pump starts leaking for some reason.

It's a true fact if you go into any Lexus dealer and ask the service boys how many broken Cam belts they have had I bet they would say none or 1-2 in all the years they have been running the MK 1-3 before the LS430.

I've changed quite a few in my time at intervals and still think the belt coming off was good to do another 100,000 miles before really changing.

The belt is a very thick wide belt and can take more wear than say a Ferrari belt which at best is only 3mm thick and about 6mm wide when built the same years as the LS400 were made.

Keep your money for other things like clear side indicators and clear front lights indicator sets will transform your looks and along with some strut braces will transform the handling loads especially around roundabouts.

Baz.

• Like 2

I have just spoken to my local Lexus dealer,and he can't find any info on the car at all. He's going to give me a price for the belt on Monday!. However,as suggested above there is always the alternative of not bothering,and just running it 'til it goes pop.I'll probably go pop before the car does!. Can only assume (there's that word again) that you get no warning as to when it's going to let go. Think I'll just leave it for now,unless I win the lottery,and give her some fresh oil and a filter instead,and get the clonking looked at. I do have another source of info,in that I have the phone number of the garage in Rye that changed a coil spring on her last year,and I'm sure I recognise the car as being the one that was always parked at that garage whenever I drove past it.There was certainly always a silver LS parked there. It may be a member of staff there that owned it,you never know.No reply from them this morning though.

no earthly reason for a Ls400 to be in a garage for any length of time unless it belonged to the proprietor or a mechanic there and yippeeee ........... it might well have had a bit of a charmed life and the guys there will tell you lots of its history and give you some useful provenance

which garage was it in Rye btw ?

Malc

• Like 1

Hi, I have a 97 model mk3 too and service manual says 63000miles or 7 years but the first time the timing belt was done on my car was after 109370 miles (10years and 5 month...done by dealership....proven by timing belt sticker on engine + bill).

• Like 1

no earthly reason for a Ls400 to be in a garage for any length of time unless it belonged to the proprietor or a mechanic there and yippeeee ........... it might well have had a bit of a charmed life and the guys there will tell you lots of its history and give you some useful provenance

which garage was it in Rye btw ?

Malc

It was Sk****rs Malc,but I gave them a call and they couldn't help,which was disappointing. However I have linked the name on the invoice for the coil spring that was replaced last year,to a local dignitary!. I left a message on his answerphone on Saturday,but no response as yet. I'll keep trying.