Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Information Needed On Steering Column, Ignition Barrel And Keys

I'm looking to change the steering column in my 2003 '53' Lexus LS430 but the replacement part has come with a new ignition barrel and key.

Does anyone know if I can use my existing ignition barrel and keys with the new column or would I have to get my existing keys re-programmed to work with this replacement steering column.

Any help on this would be really appreciated

The keys will have to be reprogrammed as the electronics are in the imobiliser which is a seperate entity to the steering lock

The physical side is the steering lock and ignition switch ,the electronic side is the imobiliser which is located elsewhere.

OK thanks for the information - the breakers yard who supplied me the steering column said I could use my existing keys but they didn't say anything about having to re-programme my existing keys. The key they have supplied is damaged and taped up which isn't good.

And I have 3 keys with my vehicle and I wouldn't want to have to replace these as these are £200 each from a Lexus dealer !

This is turning into a real headache to say the least.

Appreciate your help though.

If they said you could use your existing keys they are presumably assuming the lock or barrel from your existing steering column can be used. I have no idea how a 430 steering column is put together, but I've changed a few on older cars, even cutting a slot in sheer-off security bolts

Generally if you have the correct key the lock barrel can be removed from the column by inserting the key then depressing the detent and then withdrawing the barrel then swop them over.

I will have a look to see if this is the case with the LS430.

Just checked on the 2000 LS400 model which should be similar and the lock barrel refered to by Lexus as the key cylinder can be removed as described above, insert key and turn to accessory position then press the plunger and the barrel/cylinder will pull out of the housing.

Do not turn or try and remove the key while the cylinder is out,slide it in until the detent locks into place then turn the key and remove.

Transfering your present key cylinder will mean you will still be able to use your 3 original keys and the security system will be unaffected.

sr-18.pdf

I can't see why you can't swap the lock from your old steering column to the replacement column.

>> And I have 3 keys with my vehicle and I wouldn't want to have to replace these as these are 200 pounds each from a Lexus Dealer ! <<

The 3 button remote key supplied when I bought the '99 400 had a cracked head. The dealer kindly provided a new key, having it cut and inserting the 3 button chip for me. So far so good.

I wanted a spare 3 button remote to keep offsite in case of fire, theft or loss etc. so enquired at the local Lexus and was quoted US $ 585 for a complete new key which had to come from Japan. I don't know what US $585 is in pounds but I'm sure that it's more than chicken feed.

Not content with that, I ordered a used 3 button remote from the US quite cheaply, thinking that I could have a new 3 button remote key cut, which I did, for US $79 and having the 3 button remote chip of mine inserted and reprogrammed. The locksmith couldn't reprogram the insert so off to Lexus where they could only program the key to start the car, NOT open it remotely. Cost for part programming US $36. (US $72 if they could fully program it, they gave me a discount because they couldn't) .-.-.-.- all money wasted though. :\

Just putting it out there. Apparently chips in certain areas have different frequencies from chips in other areas.

For now, I use a spare buttonless remote whenever I use the car. I don't want to use the only proper master key I have in case I lose it.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links