Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Engine Treatments Do They Work Or Is It Just For The Gullible ?

Hi guys, have any of you ever used one of these engine treatment products, the stuff thats surposed to clean out carbon deposits and give you better fuel economy etc....,,

or are they just a load of s**t and dont actually do anything ?

I wouldn't have thought removing carbon deposits from your pistons and sending it all down your catalytic converter would do it much good, thats if these treatments actually do that ?

That's a question I've been meaning to ask for some time. When I was in Eurocarparts recently they were plugging a product that was "guaranteed" to work and was endorsed by some of the major motoring names.

The guy that I bought my first LS from 7 years ago said he always put Redex in when he filled up. Interesting to hear what others say.

• Like 1

I saw an episode of Wheeler dealers where they did a treatment on a car with emission readings before and after and it " appeared " to reduce them dramatically ? I know im never gonna get 40mph out my RX400h but knowing its working as efficiently as possible makes my OCD happy

I saw an episode of Wheeler dealers where they did a treatment on a car with emission readings before and after and it " appeared " to reduce them dramatically ? I know im never gonna get 40mph out my RX400h but knowing its working as efficiently as possible makes my OCD happy

That was a dedicated machine where they disconnected the fuel supply and return lines and plumbed straight into the engine. I can see that working just fine. But adding liquid to the fuel tank will do bugger all.

• Like 1

So are you saying its worth firing one thru ? My car is returning just shy of 32 mpg so im happy I cant see it improving much on that ? Can it ?

No, it's snake oil. You'll get better results maintaining tyre pressures and keeping your air filter clean.

• Like 2

Hi

the treatment Ed China promotes is Terraclean, which requires a special machine, it removes carbon deposits and varnish in the engine, allegedly very effective, £105 plus vat for a RX400.

Another option is Seafoam which is a similar ( but DIY ) treatment, can be put in tank or for much better effect sucked into engine

( hundreds of DIYs on Youtube, many on Lexus! ),

I also find putting Redex Fuel system cleaner in restores my MPG if it starts to drop a little, I put a full bottle in a tank though, twice recommended amount, standard dose seems innefective!

Octane boosters are proven to do nothing, see 5TH Gear test.

Cheers Jason

• Like 1

Not sure if you ever your money back on these things.

It's bit like putting Calgon for years in your washing machine. A Bosh engineer once told me that the cost of replacing your clogged up heating element is far lower that the monies you will have spent on Calgon over the years!

Still, my wife won't hear of it and still buy Calgon, Must have shares in it that I don't know about.

With regards to products being "endorsed" by major manufacturers, I do not think you should read that they actually acknowledge these products do a lot of good... it's more like they don't do any harm!

• Like 1

I think the only ones that work are the ones that have a high enough concentration of the chemical that breaks down the soot deposits. I used BG44k and it seemed to be effective. It doesn't promise to give you loads more mpg or bhp but it did get me an extra 1 mpg and engine seemed smoother....

• 2 weeks later...

I run my RX300 on LPG and have done since buying it 9 years ago, to be honest I've never calculated fuel consumption - there's no need; the LPG tank (that replaces the spare wheel) has 60ltr (water capacity) and takes me 160 miles Fakenham to Leeds with caravan in tow - with enough gas left over to run 40 miles.

Using LPG has the effect of making the petrol gauge inaccurate so the odometer is used instead, simply resetting the trip at fill ups, with a full tank I get 220 + miles which at 70p litre makes for really Eco motoring.

Ken

• 3 weeks later...

I have used ZX1 over the years and I swear by it , you put it in with your engine and it runs smoother is more efficient and protects the engine, one pot of ZX1 every oil change I do but it is supposed to be good up to 25000 miles I like it.

• 3 months later...

If you want better fuel economy buy a smaller car ... lol

Daft bugger how can you possibly suggest a smaller car lol the RX is awesome, and ! And !! I bought the SE~L unlike you with ya cheapskate SE ! lol

I don't see how someone can whinge about fuel economy on an Rx 400, my M5 did about 8 mpg when driven hard & the 3.0 V6 24v superchipped shogun I previously owned did about 13 mpg, I'm getting 24 mg out of the Rx ... 95 % of my driving is city centre, but I did 250 miles on country roads last weekend & managed to get 36 mpg ...pretty good for a 2 ton 3.3 litre that does 0-60 in 7.5 ...

I gave just over £7.5k for my SE 2.1/2 years ago it has met paint, voice command Nav, Bluetooth phone, Ipod & camera options, so it's identical to an SE-L with the exception of the Levinson stereo ... but I'm more than happy with my 8 speaker Pioneer ... so I may be a cheapskate John but my Rx certainly isn't ...lol ... :-)

• 7 months later...

Cataclean:

Used it on a 14 year old 1.0 Yaris where the cat was failing. (read fault codes) .Worked for 20 miles - the warning light went out. Then I discovered the cat had a hole in it and needed a new one anyway.. Then the warning light came on again - same fault code.

So my view is: if you have a cat fault, and the cat is old, it's likely to be b*****ed - so save your money and buy a new cat.

• Like 1

I'm with madasafish on this one.

There's soooo many additives in decent modern fuel, that adding more seems unnecessary, our UK fuel, on the whole, is great quality compared to many other parts of the world.

Sea foam was designed for 2-stroke boat/marine engines, btw.

The only experience I have had with products like Radweld & stopleak on older cheaper wrecks I've had in the past have always caused more trouble & expense and I wouldn't use them on any of my cars now.

I used to used RedEx back in the day on non-fuel injected cars, but don't see the point now.

As per your cataclean, if you get 7-10 (or more years service) from your Cat, that's a good innings! Surely if it's acting up, it's time for a new one?

Back in the day I have used Redex etc... too.

I also used some Stop Oil Stop Leak stuff on my Fiat Sedici ( great little AWD ), which DID stop an oil drip.

Now I just use Shell Nitro + petrol... works or not, I don't know. But with a loyalty card I do get money back vouchers on it ...

• Like 1