Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Nx Test Drive

Spoke to my local dealer in the week and they had just received their two NX's. A white F Sport for the showroom and a grey Premier for road tests. I didn't book an appointment, but just turned up on Sunday afternoon.

Initial impressions were it that it looked fantastic. Inside was beautifully finished, but it felt much narrower in the cabin than my Q5 which is understandable as the car is narrower, but a fraction longer. The boot though was noticeably smaller and very shallow. Having said those things it didn't put me off the car at all and I still wanted it. The seats were extremely comfortable.

I was really pleased that I was able to have a test drive there and then on the spot in the Premier. I am a pretty sedate driver so the Hybrid drivetrain suits my laid back driving style so I was looking forward to seeing how it drove. Initial impression was that it was very quick off the mark. My Q5 is a 2.0 TDi with the S tronic gearbox which can have a slight delay sometimes when pulling away quickly; the NX had none of that.

My NX dream fell apart though once we got out on the open road. The ride was so firm, jiggly and unsettled. This didn't seem to make sense as this was the Premier which I thought was going to be smooth and comfortable. The car only rides on 18" wheels where my Q5 is an S Line Plus on 20" wheels and the comparison between the two is like chalk and cheese. After the road test we did the same route in my car and it just glided over bumps that had the NX had us jostling around in our seats.

If it was an F Sport maybe I could of accepted it, but it wasn't. I dread to think how the F Sport is going to ride which is firmer dampers and springs.

Why do Lexus insist on making their cars ride so firm. It was the ride that put me off buying the CT when I was kooking to change my A3. I am sure it will sell like hot cakes purely on looks alone, but I feel for anyone who has ordered it blind, lets just hope they like a firm fidgety ride.

I have to say I am really disappointed, it's such a shame.

The firm ride is the one thing that's concerning me.

Like you quoted - I've ordered "blind". I'm a company car driver and needed to change my car this month - so I had to place the order 2/3 months ago - before the NX was available in the UK.

I'm migrating (lets not call it upgrading, or downgrading) from a BMW 330D M Sport to the F-Sport version. I've tended to always have the sportier models of cars so used to the harder ride. But I've never read reviews that focus as much on the "hard ride" as this NX does. I've also ordered without the adaptive suspension - something I usually always tick on a car. Not sure if thats going to make it even worse.

Finally - as a company car driver - whatever I think of the car when it turns up .. I'm stuck with it - for the lease of the car.

November 6th (delivery day) is could be a very "love / hate" day.

Hopefully coming from an M Sport spec BMW you may be pleasantly surprised.

I have to say ride comfort is very important to me, but I can't understand why it would ride worse on 18" wheels than mine does on 20"

Other than the ride (for me) the car is stunning.

Mmmmm, wonder if they've forgot to check the tyre pressures from the delivery setting?

IS300h f sport demo I had also had really jiggly ride. Checked tyre pressures and they were about 42psi, instead of the 36 psi std. Changed them and all was good.

• Like 1

I did wonder that, but I felt it wasn't a ride that would be improved that much by tyre pressures. IT does seem to be getting a pretty poor review for ride from UK journalists. The video review Mat Watson did on CarBuyers Youtube channel tallies up with my experience and that wasn't an F Sport either.

Have to say I am disappointed with Lexus that my Invite for the event on Friday never turned up despite them saying it had been posted out.... twice!

Maybe Im too fussy :whistling:

I did wonder that, but I felt it wasn't a ride that would be improved that much by tyre pressures. IT does seem to be getting a pretty poor review for ride from UK journalists. The video review Mat Watson did on CarBuyers Youtube channel tallies up with my experience and that wasn't an F Sport either.

Not sure why Lexus struggle so badly with this. The CT and RX both have poor ride, the GS isn't great over bad surfaces and the IS is probably a little too firm.

Re the ride, I would disagree marginally. I am fussy about ride quality and find the IS 300h Lux a wee bit on the firm side, but hardly. I'd say if pushed that it could do with the "comfort" chassis option that my previous Volvo had.

My wife has a Q3 (FWD) which I find hardly any better - it will inevitably be slightly better of course.

That point re the tyre pressures may well be worth checking out.

By the way, you don't need to be invited to the launch events - just turn up! Ours in Belfast was on Thursday. Decent turnout, booked a test drive and will come back to you! :)

My wife has a Q3 (FWD) which I find hardly any better - it will inevitably be slightly better of course.

By the way, you don't need to be invited to the launch events - just turn up! Ours in Belfast was on Thursday. Decent turnout, booked a test drive and will come back to you! :)

I agree with the ride on the Q3, I bought the Q5 because it had a much better ride than the Q3, plus its much nicer looking.

With regard to the launch, I know I could of just turned up, but I didn't expect not to get something which had been promised from a dealer that has such reputation for customer service. Of course I didn't need to go anyway as I had already driven the car and made my decision not to take it any further.

It will be interesting if they call when they have an F Sport for test drives as they said the would..... watch this space ;)

Just had a test drive in the F Sport. I was rough with it and it handled really well IMO. Much better than the RX450, maybe not quite as good as the IS but then again it's not the same style of vehicle. Performance was more than adequate, both in Normal and Sport. The ride was no different than in my 300, to me anyway, no firmer or juddery as I've read elsewhere. Usual advice of course, got to test it yourself as it's so subjective.

The dash layout is different and no LFA dial to play with, which is a shame, and the Sat Nav unit is raised which makes it easy to view but detracts a bit from the lines. The phone charger thingy is a gimmick IMO and for the Iphone you need a special case.

The rose leather is part black unlike in the 300, and no memory or ventilated seats. I don't think the colour combo looks as good and it's disappointing not to have the memory or ventilated options. Seeing as no one else has driven my car since I bought it a year ago and 90% of the time a ventilated derrière is not required neither are a dealer breaker but I don't like going backwards in terms of options and toys. Apparently they are only available in the Premier.

They have a Premier in Sonic T and a white F Sport and it must be a trick of the eye but the F Sport wheels seem to be miles from the chassis compared to the Premier. The F Sport suspension is lower so if anything the opposite should be true.

My sales guy is going to crunch some numbers for me to consider. I would need some more time with it and to check the golf gear would fit in the boot (can't believe that would be a problem) but it's passed the driving test. Much to ponder.

Sent from my iPad using Lexus OC

EDIT - I've posted this in the wrong thread if a Mod can move it to the test drive thread it would be appreciated.

Edited by ColinBarber
Moved as requested

Just had a test drive in the F Sport. I was rough with it and it handled really well IMO. Much better than the RX450, maybe not quite as good as the IS but then again it's not the same style of vehicle. Performance was more than adequate, both in Normal and Sport. The ride was no different than in my 300, to me anyway, no firmer or juddery as I've read elsewhere. Usual advice of course, got to test it yourself as it's so subjective.

The dash layout is different and no LFA dial to play with, which is a shame, and the Sat Nav unit is raised which makes it easy to view but detracts a bit from the lines. The phone charger thingy is a gimmick IMO and for the iPhone you need a special case.

The rose leather is part black unlike in the 300, and no memory or ventilated seats. I don't think the colour combo looks as good and it's disappointing not to have the memory or ventilated options. Seeing as no one else has driven my car since I bought it a year ago and 90% of the time a ventilated derrière is not required neither are a dealer breaker but I don't like going backwards in terms of options and toys. Apparently they are only available in the Premier.

They have a Premier in Sonic T and a white F Sport and it must be a trick of the eye but the F Sport wheels seem to be miles from the chassis compared to the Premier. The F Sport suspension is lower so if anything the opposite should be true.

My sales guy is going to crunch some numbers for me to consider. I would need some more time with it and to check the golf gear would fit in the boot (can't believe that would be a problem) but it's passed the driving test. Much to ponder.

Sent from my iPad using Lexus OC

EDIT - I've posted this in the wrong thread if a Mod can move it to the test drive thread it would be appreciated.

I dont like the wheels on the F Sport either. I prefer the ones in the Lexus Europe commercial with will.i.am. Those look amazing. These polished ones look a bit ricer tbh.

Cant say ive had any handling or ride problems with my RX though. Seems to stick to the corners well enough and doesnt roll badly at all considering it weighs 2 tonnes. I like my RX, its fun in the twisties without being uncomfortable and firm :D

Im not getting along with the NX. There's too many things wrong with it options wise, no ML on F Sport, no memory seats, no HUD, no 360 degree camera etc. Id prefer a HUD than that wireless charging tray!! Seems stupid to omit these options!

And ill be honest, getting into my RX after the NX drive felt good. The F Sport suspension is way too hard on it! I wonder if AVS would make it better? I also thought the drivetrain was a bit of a weed. Felt a bit barge like and slower than its 9s time. I had an RX300 with a 9s time and that felt peppier than the NX

And ill be honest, getting into my RX after the NX drive felt good. The F Sport suspension is way too hard on it! I wonder if AVS would make it better?

I can only imagine how hard the F Sport must be. I was shocked at how firm the Premier was when I test drove it and that supposed to be the luxurious model, it was totally at odds with the relaxed nature of the Hybrid drivetrain. :eerrrmm:

Just got home from a test drive of the NX Premier. The salesman informed me that the F Sport has the same suspension setup as the rest of the range, although adaptive suspension is an option.

I too found the ride uncharacteristically Lexus like with far too many minor road imperfections being felt in the cabin. Power train a little slow after my Volvo diesel but nicely refined of course.

The dash seemed a bit of a mess with buttons everywhere although many will probably not be used too often. Final dislike was the boot cover. A sliding cover as in the RX gives much better access.

Overall I thought it was a superbly designed car with a refined drive train, but the final package could have been much better. Shame as I would love to get back into a Lexus but this may not be the one for me.

Just got home from a test drive of the NX Premier. The salesman informed me that the F Sport has the same suspension setup as the rest of the range, although adaptive suspension is an option.

That isn't what the Lexus press releases or their web site suggests. The F Sport apparently has a tuned suspension and different dampers - even without the AVS option. I guess it wouldn't be the first time a salesman didn't know the product he was selling.

I imagine the differences are quite small, slightly stiffer springs and damping to match, no details have been provided as to whether the changes include additional bracing or stiffer anti-roll bars.

I did wonder about the F Sport suspension setup but didn't question his statement as the F Sport would not interest me anyway.

A quick check of the brochure shows the F Sport with performance dampers and a unique suspension, so of course you are quite correct.

I found the car very comfortable, but a bit claustrophobic after the RX. Not much smaller that the RX on the outside, but definitely cosier inside. After having adjusted the driver's seat (I'm only of average height), I found that the rear passenger's feet were rather cramped.

I test drove the F Sport with AVS and the ride is much better than my Infiniti FX.

I have placed an order for a Premier ( March delivery ) in Titanium with the Style pack. IMHO the Premier looks much better than the F Sport in the flesh.

I test drove the F Sport with AVS and the ride is much better than my Infiniti FX.

I have placed an order for a Premier ( March delivery ) in Titanium with the Style pack. IMHO the Premier looks much better than the F Sport in the flesh.

Didn't you test the ride in a non F Sport / non AVS vehicle?

I didn't test the non avs version unfortunately. The cars that I have had in the past have always had firm suspension ( Audi s-lines) . I did a back to back test with a RX, GS300h and the NX . Overall the NX (imho) provided the better package overall.

The dealership wouldn't move on finance . So have arranged finance elsewhere on a balanced payment plan. I have saved £75 pm on the monthly payments.

I didn't test the non avs version unfortunately. The cars that I have had in the past have always had firm suspension ( Audi s-lines) . I did a back to back test with a RX, GS300h and the NX . Overall the NX (imho) provided the better package overall.

The dealership wouldn't move on finance . So have arranged finance elsewhere on a balanced payment plan. I have saved £75 pm on the monthly payments.

Is there any chance that you could share with us where you got your balanced payment plan? i have just ordered an NX and it grieves me to say it but it wasn't my finest piece of negotiating!

I used Oracle finance. You could also try Prestige car finance. Both will beat Lexus Finance.

I tried negotiating with the salesman and the answer was a big fat NO!

The only problem I will be facing will be p/x my Infiniti FX , as no one is interested. Might have to do a voluntary termination. But such is life.

Btw what is the estimated delivery of your NX

Thanks for the info Bodmeister.

My NX is due on the 21st of November. I am dealing with Lexus Birmingham. I went to Stoke first but they were looking at March for a delivery. It's crazy really as i am in no rush as i use a suzuki Jimny in the winter and keep the GS in the garage whehn the white stuff is around. I think i just got a bit carried away with the desire to have a new car!

The GS certainly is a fabulous car, especially the 450h. It was on my list but overall the NX did it for me.

Most of the reviews for the NX were average at best but you have to experience it for yourself. For me the NX fulfills my criteria.

The only impartial detailed reviews I read were in CAR magazine and Parkers. The other magazines are German owned and more or less slated the NX.

Hi Bodmeister,

I think it is worth sharing the Parker's review you mentioned:

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/lexus/nx/4x4

Many of the reviews for the NX are lukewarm to say the least but then reviews so often are for Lexus. I have had sleepless nights over my decision to purchase the NX but i am getting it to be more comfortable with it. I think the Parker's review puts all my concerns into context and the concerns are really minor at the end of the day.

The NX is going to be more practical for me - the GS was never that practical. The only downside to the NX is that i think my other half will be able to drive it as it's so simple. She could never get to grips with the GS.

Only another 15 days till the NX comes...........

• Like 1

Hi Bodmeister,

I think it is worth sharing the Parker's review you mentioned:

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/lexus/nx/4x4

Many of the reviews for the NX are lukewarm to say the least but then reviews so often are for Lexus. I have had sleepless nights over my decision to purchase the NX but i am getting it to be more comfortable with it. I think the Parker's review puts all my concerns into context and the concerns are really minor at the end of the day.

The NX is going to be more practical for me - the GS was never that practical. The only downside to the NX is that i think my other half will be able to drive it as it's so simple. She could never get to grips with the GS.

Only another 15 days till the NX comes...........