Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Towing With An Rx400H

Hi folks

I normally only post on the LS400 section but the Jeep I use for towing my daughters horse has packed up so on the look out for something else and thought perhaps buying a 400h to do that job. Question is will a RX400h be up to the task and does anybody on here use their RX for towing? Would really like your opinions as I'm off to see a car in Edinburgh at the end of the week....many thanks.

Hi Jim, I towed a 1500kg caravan for a couple of years with an RX400h. I had no problems whatsoever towing, it was very stable tug in every respect. Just a couple of things to be aware of: Front tyres will wear out quite quickly (depending on how many miles you do of course) I was getting through a set of front tyres in about a year. Secondly you will consume a fair ammount of petrol, I was getting 18 MPG all the time towing no matter how light my right foot was! I subsequently traded it for a Mercedes ML but wish I had kept the Lexus.

Hope this helps

Brian

Thanks Brian I suppose we will do 15,000 miles a year with the horse trailer which loaded up will be nearer 2000kg and is the max towing capacity of the lexus so will need to factor in sub18mpg and a set of tyres . I suppose the upside will be the reliability and if it's anywhere as good as my LS400 then the fuel and tyres will be almost bearable. My daughter has suggested a 2006 Kia Sorento that she has seen for £6500 but that just doesn't float my boat for 15,000 miles every year!!!!

RX400h is a great tug - I tow my caravan for about 5000 miles each year, and get between 18 and 20mpg, depending more on head winds or not. Have used it for towing over 3 years, and inclusing normal use, tyres are showing no signs of much wear. Very stable car, plenty of power, and 4 wheeel drive kicks in smoothly just when required.

• Like 1

Hi

I concur with other replies I have a 1500kg caravan, tows beautifully!

Been towing for 3 years, 18mpg average. Took a bit of getting used to as the car glides along quietly normally with very little throttle input averaging 32mpg but when I tow, especially in hilly areas I have to put in big throttle presses and there is lots of engine growl with very little hybrid input so effectively you are driving 98% petrol....

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

Oh another thing to add, I got a swan neck removable tow bar, which leaves very little space for the exhaust due to the frame that bolts under the car. Occasionally my exhaust knocks against it, thud thud thud when going round tight corners.

I have had new rubber mounts fitted even had tighter mounts and it's been into Lexus, the can't stop it.

Mine is a Witter

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

• 4 years later...
20 minutes ago, Idris said:

I have rx400h Lexus and just bought sterling Eccles sport 640 Sr. T3E 2015 twin axale caravan will it able to tow it

Sorry Idris, I don't know the answer to that but, erm, shouldn't you have found out before buying the caravan?

9 hours ago, Idris said:

I have rx400h Lexus and just bought sterling Eccles sport 640 Sr. T3E 2015 twin axale caravan will it able to tow it

I had a 400h for 5 years and towed a Bailey Senator twin axle at 1700kg with no problems, except for the 18 to the gallon. I now have a 450h which is a little lest thirsty, 22 mpg towing and I've even averaged 38 mpg on a long run from home to Dover. Your caravan is about the same weight at MRO 1534kg and MTPLM of 1740kg, within the 2000kg max towing capacity.

• 1 month later...

Just for a laugh!!! I tow a Carlight (1600Kg) with my RX300 with a Thule detachable hook and absolutely fine. Living here in the West Country many steep 1:4 hills or worse and we go through every time. Trips up to Cumbria and other far flung reaches; Motorways, great up to legal limits. (why try and beat towing speed records? you don't arrive that much sooner and no extra fuel used) Fuel MPG is as would be expected 24-26+MPG.