Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie looking to return to the Lexus fold. I'm looking for a GS 300 or possibly a 430.

Is there anything specific I need to look for with either of these cars?

Does the 430 have a cam belt or is it chain and at what milage do they need changing.

Finally what are the pros and cons of a v8 as apposed to a 6? , is the v8 really only 1or2 mpg different from the 6?

Sorry to ask so many questions in my first post, but I went to look at a v8 today and didn't really know where to start!

Thanks in advance.

They use timing belts, change interval is 100k miles.

Both engines are strong and reliable, the V8 advantage is obviously the performance it provides. I would say the mpg difference is 3 or 4 around town and 4 to 6 at higher speed.

A few things to look out for are:

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/tutorials/article/5-buying-a-gs300-series-ii-what-to-look-for/

If you are looking at the GS300 then I'd recommend getting a facelift model, Oct 2000 onwards, all GS430s are facelift models:

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/tutorials/article/49-gs-series-ii-facelift-changes-2001-model/

Thank you for the great info, not much to look for compared to other makes.

I'm absolutely desperate to find a decent 300 or better still 430 but they seem to be getting hard to find at least locally. That car I looked at on Saturday was nice but had a problem with the brakes, VSC light was on and some strange noises from the ABS pump!

The dealer is going to get that sorted.

Other than that it was a very nice car, 81k on the clock, good service history, though only printed on sheets of paper not in the service book.

It drove very smoothly and quietly, didn't go far though due to the brake problem.

X reg he wants £2995for it does that sound about right?

One last question, I know only gold members (cue schoolboy giggling) can sell cars via the club, but can ordinary members view the cars for sale?

Thanks again.

That price seems very high to me, unless there has been a sudden upturn in their prices. You should easily get a post facelift car for that kind of money, "Sport" models being the best looking (IMO).

If it is a Lexus service history, any Lexus dealer should be able to confirm the history.

The abs error you mention sounds like the brake booster issue suffered on early (pre facelift) models. £2k bill from the dealers to fix, around £350-£500 for a used late booster if DIY'ing.

Anyone should be able to view the classifieds.

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

Sorry to interrupt the thread, but regarding the brake booster issue was this problem eradicated after the facelift.

Thanks!

Yes. I'm sure one or two have failed, as is possible with any component, but it certainly isn't a common issue with the facelift models.

Have You considered 1998-2000 LS400? Alas if You are concerned about the fuel cost, then buying an old Lexus is not probably a very good idea for You :D

Having owned IS200, Mk I GS300, GS430, LS400, LS430 i find the fuel economy roughly the same on all of them.

• 3 weeks later...

I have an LS 400. The V8 is sublime, better than any merc, BMW or Jag I have ever owned (including a brand new XF 3 litre). It is possibly the finest engine ever produced and if you read about its development, it is no surprise. You are probably talking about a quantum leap in terms of performance, refinement and reliability. For a modest sacrifice in economy, it must be worth it, in my view.

• 3 months later...

might be considering a GS again due to needing more space..so for those who have owned both the MK2 facelift GS300 and GS430, how is the in gear response like in the 430 when compared to the 300 considering the 300 has the M mode E-SHIFT capability and 430 doesnt. reason why i ask is my IS300 has this which i find quite handy if and when i need to hold a gear to prevent the box from automatically shifting up when i dont want it to.

i found when I am in D even with ECT PWR engaged, it lags a bit collects its thoughts before engaging the right gear this can be irritating sometimes when you need to move on quickly but M mode allows you to lock the highest gear for a quick move on its no manual box but i find it handy and a bit of 'fun'. so for those who have owned both do you miss this M mode feature and any reason why Lexus decided to not include it in the 430?

No real lag on 430 but if you want it is simple to use the auto stick as a "manual". The autobox is superb on the 430. I tend to use it mainly on downhills to use engine braking as that was how I was taught to drive in the late '60's rather than following cars which seem to brake constantly on any downhill stretch of road. The "E" shift is really not needed.

thanks Dave you confirmed my thought about why the E-shift was not needed in the 430 thing has bags of torque low down lol... test drove one 2 weeks ago and could instantly tell the difference in drive feel compared to the GS300 i test drove 3 years ago before deciding on the IS300 due to being more 'fun' to drive but i see a GS drive past with the VIP look and i am like i want one and its benefit of being spacious aswell but kinda concerned the 430 power might not be accessible when needed 'pronto' when situations calls for it and will have the half a second to a second lag before deciding but i know the power is there tho..

In 7 years I have never noticed any real lag. If you kick down it will have no more lag than if you used "E" shift as they like to call it. Also don't need pwr mode.The acceleration is not comparable to the GS300 either from stationary or from say 50mph to 70mph (ish) if you need rapid acceleration.

Test drive another and put it through it's paces and you will see what I mean.

Interesting Dave, I find mine annoying on the 430, and use it all the time with the stick pretty much. I found the ect/pwr mode in the mk1 GS to adapt the box perfectly for me, and have been totally disappointed with the mk2's version.

Interesting Dave, I find mine annoying on the 430, and use it all the time with the stick pretty much. I found the ect/pwr mode in the mk1 GS to adapt the box perfectly for me, and have been totally disappointed with the mk2's version.

Do you mean you find the ect/pwr mode annoying Rick? As I said, I don't really use it as I drive in "D" mainly and use the stick shift mainly for engine braking. When in "D" I have certainly found mine extremely responsive and on the odd times that I "floor" the accelerator it appears to respond immediately.

Sent from my iPhone using Lexus OC

i find the zigzag stick not that flexible to use when compared to the E-shift. do you think the MK1 having a cable throttle instead of electronic plays a part as to why it felt more responsive than your MK2's. there are some threads on the US forums about this comparing GS400 to GS430 and most confirmed the 400 felt quicker and more connected/responsive than the 430 due to having cable. its really weird as i find electronic throttle strange it can lag one minute when accelerating from a stop and become very responsive the next. its not a linear sensation .