Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Windows Down But Car Locked, This Morning

Hi,

Woke up this morning to find the windows on my 59 220d down and the doors locked not sure if this is a driver or car error. Windows where definitely closed last night.

Has anybody else experienced this problem before.

I really do not want it doing it again especially in the rain!

Brycey

Does your car have the global window opening feature from your key? My 2010 Is220d doesn't but my previous car did and a while back I locked my car and put the key in my pocket only to accidentally activate the global opening feature which opened all my windows over night. Like you luckily it didn't rain that night.

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

By the way the global opening feature on my old car was activated by holding the unlock button on my key for more than 2-3 seconds, it also unlocks the car but unless you open one of the doors, it would automatically lock up after about 30 seconds but not the windows!

I had other keys in my pocket along with the fob which caused the unlock button to be presses in my pocket.

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

Hi,

Yes if i hold the key down the windows will open. I am hoping that i have just made this mistake but I came in the house yesterday evening and left the keys on the side, pretty sure they've not been sat in my pocket.

Does anyone know if you can turn this feature off?

Brycey

It's happened on mine two or three times.

I notice that on the thread about Diagnostics and Customisation there's a feature in the pictures posted by PilgrimIS - 'Power Window' - things such as Down/Wireless and Down/Door Key - hmm - must have a play.

I'll get back if I solve it. Won't be today though.

BTW - although it sounds only reasonable to be able to disable it, I suspect a dealer would charge a not inconsiderable sum for the privilege

Just checked in my Owners Handbook P16 - yep - door unlock button - push and hold - opens the windows and Moon Roof (if you've got one!) Brilliant eh - especially since all my remote controls for my cars frequently operate if the keys are in my pocket and I bend down or something.

Customisation for Power Windows (P391) is a bit confusing, but where there's a will there's a way!

I've had two Lexus with this feature ,I've never used it ever , can't see the point .whats if for .showing off

I find it really useful on my customers cars, especially in summer when the car has been sitting in the sun and is roasting hot inside. I can take the key from them and hold the unlock button so all the windows open allowing the car to cool down while I get on with other things. Likewise, when I've finished the job, I can lock and close all the windows at the same time without having to go back to the car and put the key in the ignition.

It's also useful if you pull up to, say, a supermarket, kill the ignition and get out only to find the kids have left the windows down. One press and that's taken car of. Or maybe you are enjoying the sunny hot weather at the pub, but you wished you'd left the windows open on the car so it's wasn't horrible when you get in. One push and that's remedied.

Just because you've never used it, doesn't mean it's not useful. Broaden your mind a little ;) And if the people you know would be impressed by opening and closing windows, I suggest you're hanging out with the wrong people ;)

Its been standard on my last three cars (all VW) again handy on a hot sunny day.

Not so handy if your accidentally setting it off in winter though

Its been standard on my last three cars (all VW) again handy on a hot sunny day.

Not so handy if your accidentally setting it off in winter though

If it's sunny put aircon on lol

Quote:

Just because you've never used it, doesn't mean it's not useful. Broaden your mind a little ;) And if the people you know would be impressed by opening and closing windows, I suggest you're hanging out with the wrong people ;)

Points taken! But in 2½ years of owning my IS250 I've never really come across the scenarios described. Whereas I have experienced coming to the car on a wet morning with all the windows inexplicably down.

But I think I've fixed it! :shifty:

All I can say is - follow the guidance given by PilgrimIS in the Diagnostics and Customisation thread. Once you are running the software supplied and are connected to the car choose Customisation, select Power Window and set Down/Wireless to 'Off' (It will probably be 'On') I also set Down/Door Key to Off - that's something to do with putting the windows down by 'holding the door key to the down side' for 1.5 seconds with the ignition off. Not sure I understand that. Anyway - there you go! Hopefully I won't find my windows down again!

Little bit of a long shot, however I have this function on only 1 of my two keys. Therefore maybe your other key (if you have one) does not have it and if you really don't like it you could use the other key until you can get Lexus to update.

Hmm..just got my spare key out, only to find it was completely non-op due to the Battery being flat. Changed the Battery (CR1632 if you're interested!) and tried it. As I thought - windows down with press and hold the unlock button doesn't work.

It's a function of the power window ecu, not the key. Therefore disabling it (as I have) 'works' with both keys.