Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Nx True Mpg

Surprised you can drive in ECO mode for that kind of distance, I always find the throttle response to be unacceptably poor. Requires a hefty shove on the throttle to elicit anything like normal progress and I'm not convinced they give better economy in ECO mode in normal driving conditions either. I haven't done any journey of any length in ECO mode mind so I probably wouldn't know!

1 hour ago, paulrnx said:

Surprised you can drive in ECO mode for that kind of distance, I always find the throttle response to be unacceptably poor. Requires a hefty shove on the throttle to elicit anything like normal progress and I'm not convinced they give better economy in ECO mode in normal driving conditions either. I haven't done any journey of any length in ECO mode mind so I probably wouldn't know!

^^ I don't find Eco mode a problem at all. If you are driving in a relaxed manner - which I do - I find it far more suited than 'Normal' mode. Throttle response is only an issue if you are trying to accelerate fast, and with the roads and speed cameras as they are these days, I'm surprised anybody actually bothers to drive in a 'spirited' way! Certainly the A420 with the numerous cameras isn't somewhere to tempt fate...:whistling1:...in fact, I drove most of the way using cruise control set to 49mph as the speed limit is 50mph.

Further to my comment in October in which I reported averaging 42mpg, I can now report that since the cold weather this has dropped to around 37mpg with identical driving.

19 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

^^ I don't find Eco mode a problem at all. If you are driving in a relaxed manner - which I do - I find it far more suited than 'Normal' mode. Throttle response is only an issue if you are trying to accelerate fast, and with the roads and speed cameras as they are these days, I'm surprised anybody actually bothers to drive in a 'spirited' way! Certainly the A420 with the numerous cameras isn't somewhere to tempt fate...:whistling1:...in fact, I drove most of the way using cruise control set to 49mph as the speed limit is 50mph.

Guess we just drive on different roads at different times and with different styles. ECO mode feels to me like the powertrain is winding up an elastic band which has to get to a certain tightness before finally propelling the car forwards. Each to their own, no right or wrong. :smile:

1 hour ago, paulrnx said:

Guess we just drive on different roads at different times and with different styles. ECO mode feels to me like the powertrain is winding up an elastic band which has to get to a certain tightness before finally propelling the car forwards. Each to their own, no right or wrong. :smile:

Yes, I agree @paulrnx it depends on many variables.

At some point you'll be behind an old fart in a grey NX swearing at his lack of pace. That will be me...:tongue:

More seriously, four or five years ago my employer paid for a few of us to go on a full day advanced driving course with former police drivers. It was a fantastic day, a real eye-opener. There was classroom based stuff first, then three 30-45 minute drives - one with the instructor driving - and then two assessed drives. I can honestly say my driving changed overnight and has never gone back. I was a cynic before, but not afterwards. My fuel economy improved as an added benefit of that day too! 

• Like 1

Two weeks ago I had an extended test drive of 120 miles prior to my order, it was very cold weather and I achieved 39.8, and I decided that wasn't too bad. It was mostly B and A roads and I certainly wasn't pushing it and I changed driving mode a few times. I think I come in the same driving style category  as Ed.  :yes:  I like to have a quiet calm and serene drive, except when I am trying to escape a city lol.

As I've got at least eight weeks to go before my NX arrives I get nerdy and keep looking at vids on the net as a substitute for the real thing, sad eh !  :nerd:

Just saw these official fuel figures for the NX300h in the states :

EPA Fuel Economy & Specification
  • Fuel Economy Est-Combined (MPG) : 31
  • EPA Fuel Economy Est - City (MPG) : 33
  • EPA Fuel Economy Est - Hwy (MPG) : 30

Which is far more sensible than the ridiculous official figures in this country  of around 54mpg

I think the conversion for US gallon is around 1.2 to 1 gallon , which I think would equate to the high 38/40 mpg which most people seem to be achieving.

My apologies to anyone who  has already posted this snippet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Comedian said:

US gallon is a different volume to a UK gallon.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

As I mentioned in my post US gallon conversion rate is 1.2 gallons to one UK gallon

Just had my first tankful reading.51.99 litres - 444 miles = 38.82 MPG.  I think that's acceptable.

The display was saying I had 6 miles left to go but I reckon there must be at least 5 or 6 litres left.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, I always seem to have 5-6 litres left when mine counts down to zero. So much so that I'm happy to do another 30 miles beyond zero if I need to.

Had quite a few tankfuls in the mid 30's recently. More motorway miles, colder, more electrical draw and less commute trawl. Not that great to be honest.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a sneaky feeling that Sport mode gives me the best mpg figure or at least no worse than Normal mode. I find in Sport mode that there is quite a bit more linearity between throttle pedal and performance and I find that I don't have to keep mashing the accelerator to the floor to produce a reasonable level of response from the drivetrain. If nothing else, I find it makes the car nicer to drive with a more predictable level of performance. Now that my driving pattern has changed to more local commuting and less motorways I'm also seeing high 30's averages over a tankful too, up from the mid 30's I was seeing. Got a 300 mile round-trip to do tomorrow with plenty of motorway and I'm going to do the whole day in Sport mode, will be interesting to see what I get.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, paulrnx said:

I have a sneaky feeling that Sport mode gives me the best mpg figure or at least no worse than Normal mode. I find in Sport mode that there is quite a bit more linearity between throttle pedal and performance and I find that I don't have to keep mashing the accelerator to the floor to produce a reasonable level of response from the drivetrain. If nothing else, I find it makes the car nicer to drive with a more predictable level of performance. Now that my driving pattern has changed to more local commuting and less motorways I'm also seeing high 30's averages over a tankful too, up from the mid 30's I was seeing. Got a 300 mile round-trip to do tomorrow with plenty of motorway and I'm going to do the whole day in Sport mode, will be interesting to see what I get.

Interesting reading might just give sport mode a 10 week run instead of normal mode 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, as13 said:

In ECO Ive averaged 34.2 in the last 10 weeks

Next I'll put her normal and see what I get

Over the past month, I have managed 33.5MPG over 2000 miles in Normal mode, with 50% motorway driving.

From my experience, ECO mode seems to severely blunt performance, with very little in return from an economy standpoint.  

On 2/19/2018 at 1:09 PM, DanD said:

Over the past month, I have managed 33.5MPG over 2000 miles in Normal mode, with 50% motorway driving.

From my experience, ECO mode seems to severely blunt performance, with very little in return from an economy standpoint.  

Yes, this is what I find too

150 miles down to Weymouth area (M5 to Taunton, A358, A303 and A37) @ 34.8 mpg. Return journey 34.6 mpg. About 30 miles of running around down there @ 48-52 mpg. I'm sure I could have improved this by some 3-4 mpg if I'd kept religiously to an indicated 70 whereas I tended to cruise slightly higher at the same speed as the majority of the traffic. I can think of a great many cars I've had that would have smashed these figures. Not SUVs mind.

Have just joined this group and have found some fascinating insight...

Just completed 10,000 miles since November - mixed roads of Motorway, A and B. I'm an advanced driver, certainly not a slug in driving style, but used 'normal' mode most of the time and have averaged 40.2 mpg over the 10,000 miles - My last three cars were Mercedes C220 and on over 100,000 miles on each I averaged 56mpg... would I go back?    No. - a Big No....

I thoroughly enjoy driving my NX. I love the smoothness, driving position, interior build quality, lighting and even the Lexus customer service and I rarely find the irritation of the engine noise described by some - I enjoy the quietness or indeed silence compared to my agricultural Mercs... I'm happy with 40mph in return. My only regret is that having had an F Sport as a courtesy car during the first service - I wish I'd gone for that model - the superior Sat Nav [the only thing I find irritating on my Sport model] the HUD, all around cameras and driving lights were superb...

• Like 1

Well, we've hit 4,500 miles since getting the car new in late November and have averaged 36.7mpg according to the computer. Some interesting observations here. Our driving is almost exclusively around town with a 450-mile trip up North every 2 or 3 weeks.

I agree about the bluntness of Eco mode but I do like it on the motorway as it helps to avoid the engine over-revving with a small amount of throttle input. But I do agree about with the observation that you have to mash it into the floor to get any sort of acceleration when in Eco.

I'm doing a 500 mile trip next week so might try Sport mode a little more. And I'm reassured to hear that things might improve when we eventually get to spring. I've noticed a reluctance to run on Battery when the temp is under 5 deg C which I'm hoping is down to the need to provide more heating/ancillaries rather than a fault. 

• 2 months later...
On 18/02/2018 at 5:40 PM, as13 said:

In ECO Ive averaged 34.2 in the last 10 weeks

Next I'll put her normal and see what I get

Well after missing out Normal mode and putting it straight into sport I'm running 34.4mpg

With far better performance and a tiny squeeze more on the MPG, I'm sticking with sport mode? No brainer really?  (thanks @Paulrnx)

I have been experimenting over the past few weeks... Using Sport mode on the motorway (I do 50% of my mileage on motorways) and Normal in town and country roads. Never use ECO... I find it too frustrating. I find the responsiveness of the sport mode more suited to motorway driving. I use the radar cruise control on m-ways whenever suitable, usually set on 75mph, and the car has 4 new tyres (Michelin Cross Climates).
I have been averaging 34.5 mpg (computer reading) over the last 3 full tanks.

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Lexus advice for ECO mode is to use it in heavy stop start traffic, not "regular" driving The dulled throttle allows you to creep forward with less fuel use. This is how I use it in my GS250 and whilst ECO doesnt give better mpg overall, in this type of scenario I find my average drops less using ECO. . Driving style is the biggest factor. Pulse and coast is the way to max MPG. 

Overall I get 29-30mpg with little motorway mileage, 35 mpg if I do hit the motorway.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/1/2018 at 7:41 AM, DanD said:

I have been experimenting over the past few weeks... Using Sport mode on the motorway (I do 50% of my mileage on motorways) and Normal in town and country roads. Never use ECO... I find it too frustrating. I find the responsiveness of the sport mode more suited to motorway driving. I use the radar cruise control on m-ways whenever suitable, usually set on 75mph, and the car has 4 new tyres (Michelin Cross Climates).
I have been averaging 34.5 mpg (computer reading) over the last 3 full tanks.

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

Update: my MPG is getting better with the weather getting warmer. Admittedly, I have had to slow down a little after picking up two speeding tickets in two weeks. 35mph in a 30mph limit in Portsmouth (speed check van) and 70mph  in 60mph variable speed limit on the M1 near Nottingham (Yes, I travel a lot). Frustrated as these are my first speeding fines in 16 years, but I guess I only have myself to blame.

Anyway... I continue to use Sport mode on M-Ways and Normal mode the rest of the time, but make a point of driving closer to the speed limit. My average has jumped from the 34.5 quoted above to 38.8.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally gave up on Eco mode, and now use normal instead without any evident impact on economy. On my regular 15 mile commute on lanes and B roads - mostly at 40-50 maximum as that is what the conditions allow (rural and very narrow!) - I get an indicated 38-44. While (sort of) running in my new Luxury NX I did manage one trip at an indicated 48mpg with real concentration on how I was driving but it was unrealistic and I couldn't drive like that every day! Any motorway time really hammers economy though, down into the mid-30s at 70mph.