Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Nx True Mpg

Well, I have done all of 500 miles now. I could have done more miles but that would have involved going shopping with the other half so I passed up that opportunity. As i have reached the 500 mile landmark I decided to try the sport setting going to work today. I was pleasantly surprised by the performance and very surprised at the frequency that the EV mode kicked in. It didn't make any major difference to the MPG as I started the journey on 38.4 and finshed on 38.6 mpg

• 3 weeks later...

500 miles update - average 36.5 mpg.

Have changed my driving style in this period - first tried to use electric mode as much as possible, but Battery depleted quckly and engine needed to cut in to recharge it. Much better to drive it a bit more "normal" that keeps the Battery charged and does not seem to affect consumption that much - in longer stints seems to improve it.

• 2 weeks later...

Some interesting comments here and I have to say while I am surprised at the low figures on display here, it is early days. I would expect them to increase as the engine and drivetrain bed in and the drivers get used to the idiosyncrasies of driving a hybrid. I know very different cars but many in the IS are hitting over 50mpg so with the reduction in aerodynamics and increase in weight it would be nice to think 45mpg would be nice. The NX is an outside bet for my next vehicle so I will be keeping a close eye on this thread!

Some interesting comments here and I have to say while I am surprised at the low figures on display here, it is early days. I would expect them to increase as the engine and drivetrain bed in and the drivers get used to the idiosyncrasies of driving a hybrid. I know very different cars but many in the IS are hitting over 50mpg so with the reduction in aerodynamics and increase in weight it would be nice to think 45mpg would be nice. The NX is an outside bet for my next vehicle so I will be keeping a close eye on this thread!

Highly doubt it. My RX has been doing the same MPG since the day I bought it. It'll increase in the summer but maybe by about 2-3mpg. The maximum I have achieved in my RXh is 42mpg and I consistently get about 28+ mpg

Seen as though the NX has a smaller engine and is probably lighter than the RX, as well as having thinner tyres, id be expecting atleast 35mpg on a consistent basis. If you really try, you could get it up to about 45mpg but that would take some serious dedication.

My NX is comfortably returning 38-40 mpg now on the sort of routes that my old GS 300 would do 30-32. i am happy with that as i know when i first had the GS i was lucky to get into the high 20's.

I am off to Leek (North Staffordshire) tomorrow so might get the chance to try it out in a bit of snow!

That mpg is very good, if I compare to the 39 average I'm getting from my IS300 F Sport.

I'll be interested to her how it deals with the snow.

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

That mpg is very good, if I compare to the 39 average I'm getting from my IS300 F Sport.

I'll be interested to her how it deals with the snow.

Sent from my iPhone using Lexus OC

But then it should! The IS300h has nearly 30 more total system HP and probably more torque as well. Why they didnt slot that same setup into the NX300h is beyond me.

But then it should! The IS300h has nearly 30 more total system HP and probably more torque as well. Why they didnt slot that same setup into the NX300h is beyond me.

It turns out it uses a different engine. It seems the IS engine isn't designed to be fitted transversely in the engine bay. The NX is using the same engine as the front wheel drive ES300h in the states.

• Like 1

It turns out it uses a different engine. It seems the IS engine isn't designed to be fitted transversely in the engine bay. The NX is using the same engine as the front wheel drive ES300h in the states.

Would the IS300h engine not fit then?

You must be gutted Andy - 31.5 mpg isn't very good is it? Hope you don't mind me making some obvious comments/questions.

Do you reset the trip computer every time you fill up?

Is the car kept in the garage?

Do you leave it in "normal" mode? Trying to drive on eco all the time doesn't actually help consumption as you will be pushing the car all the time.

I try and use the EV mode as much as i can around town. That helps a lot.

On the motorway i try to squirt and coast if you get what i mean.

Failing that Buckinghamshire must be hillier than i thought!

I'm stuck around the 31.5 mpg - and going down - not up. Done around 1800 miles.

That's dreadful! I'm doing 30mpg atm in the RX450H and Im not even trying. Could it be that the NX is always being strained which in turn is resulting in poor fuel economy?

That's not good when you consider the RX can achieve the same with far more performance and weight.

As a matter of interest, I filled my tank to the brim at my local BP with standard petrol, nothing fancy like the BP Ultimate lol.

Anyway - I reset the MPG monitor this morning and went for a 5 mile trip to the shops at perhaps 30-40mph and I managed to get 38mpg without the use of Eco or EV mode or any sort of eco-friendly driving. CD was playing the whole time, heated seats were on for a few minutes and the AC was set to Auto at a temp of 22 degrees too + it was showing 2 degrees as temperature outside.

Quite pleased actually :D and im positive that the Dunlop tyres arent helping either!

My work commute is 1 mile (each way). Half of that is in a residential 30mph zone, the other half on 60mph roads. I try and get the EV mode on for the residential bits, but find that I disable the EV mode by pressing the accelerator pedal 1mm too far (should it really be that hard to keep in EV mode ???).

I've worked it out that at 31mpg, the NX is costing just under 15p to do 1 mile (at £1p per liter). So that makes my daily commute, a total cost of about 29p a day, £1.46 a week, £5.86 a month or £70.30 a year.

Even if I could get 55mpg, that changes to 17p a day, 83p a week, £3.30 a month or £39.62 a year.

I don't think fuel economy is a concern for me lol

My biggest driver for getting the NX was getting my company car tax bill down. My previous car (BMW 330d) was reducing my tax allowance by 10k ! I'm hoping the NX will be a little less than that :shifty:

oktoZVJ.png

• Like 1

I can't disagree there, you really do need a feather touch for the EV!

On that sort of commute you wont be able to use EV for too long anyway as the batteries will have no chance to charge up. i love your calculations - you really have thought of everything

• 4 weeks later...

I have an NX 300h F - Sport, done just over 3k miles and drive very conservatively with a good mix of Motorway and town thrown in.

At first I struggled to get 34mpg but now achieve 38.5 and it appears to be rising.

Although I expect mpg to improve as the weather gets warmer, to achieve a real world figure some 40-50% below what Lexus claim is unacceptably poor, and undermines one of the main reasons for owning a hybrid vehicle. There are a lot of very high performance diesels on the market with better mpg figures, and as Rayaan points out, the RX 450H with it's 3.5 engine and extra weight can achieve better results than some NX owners are getting. For the record I do the majority of my driving in town, and a fair bit of it in electric mode. I am averaging 31 mpg. My previous car - BMW 640D Gran Coupe could hit 60 in just over 5 seconds, had a limited top speed of 155, weighed more than the NX, and achieved 46 mpg. Just wish it had been more reliable!!

There is no excuse for the NX to only achieve low 30s. The old 400h and current 450h can achieve that with a bigger body and more powerful engine. I can only assume that the engine takes quite a while to become loose.

Lets not forget that whenever the car is running in EV mode, its technically not being broken in. Got to say, with my RX it took just over 7k to get over 30mpg. I was doing 25 before that and currently doing about 33mpg city and 37mpg on the motorway so im pretty pleased with the RX figures

• 2 weeks later...

33.2 is very poor. I think I would have preferred the new 2.0L Turbo engine mated with a hybrid than this 2.5 lump. Although fuel figures might have been slightly lower, the 280 odd bhp would have more than made up for that, As it is we have an uneconomical car with rather underwhelming performance.