Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Nx True Mpg

Michael, when you have you test drive, have a play with the little ODOMETER button to the right of the steering wheel just above the drivers footwell. This will confirm the consumption figures. I don't think the 2.5L 2AR-FXE engine was a good choice for the European version of the NX Hybrid - under powered and over thirsty.

Michael, when you have you test drive, have a play with the little ODOMETER button to the right of the steering wheel just above the drivers footwell. This will confirm the consumption figures. I don't think the 2.5L 2AR-FXE engine was a good choice for the European version of the NX Hybrid - under powered and over thirsty.

I agree. Cant really work out why they didnt provide a detuned version of the 450h perhaps with an output of 250hp. That would have been plenty to get the car moving! Im sure it'd be getting the same kind of figures too

Will do.

I reset the trip when I had a test drive and I got just over 31mpg and that was on gentle back roads with 30-40mph limits. I tend to drive like Miss Daisy too.

To say I was disappointed was an understatement and the ride was another disappointment too.

Such a shame.

One can only assume that to get to 56 MPG as claimed by Lexus, they drove down a mountain road to sea level, coasting most of the way. Either that or the figures are entirely fictional. You could accept a reasonable deviation in the official figures of 10 -20%, but 40%?? That's the stuff that Class Legal Actions in the States are made of. As for the ride, the FSport is a bit on the firm side. I didn't option the variable suspension, because on the test car I drove I didn't feel it made much difference, and certainly not enough to justify £750. At £40k it should be standard anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

If you can get 33.4 MPG out of an ISF you are doing well. I used to get around 14 in town, 20 combined, and a maximum of 24-25 on a run from my 2010 ISF. It didn't seem to make a lot of difference if I drove it gently either, but the high consumption was a lot easier to swallow with a 5.0 V8 than it is with a 4 cylinder 2.5 Hybrid. Some NX owners in the States are starting to report figures in the high 30s (from a smaller US gallon), so maybe things will steadily improve here as the summer approaches.

I reached my first 1000 miles during last weekend. The average over those 1000mile has been 36.1 mpg. (As measured by the car). I have now reset the counter - so lets see the difference with the warm weather.

Ok so last week I filled up with regular BP unleaded. I managed 30mpg from that. This week, filled up with BP ultimate unleaded and managed 34mpg and temp over here has been the same. I also used Sport Mode on the motorway which was about 150 miles.

The RX seems to love higher octane fuel, maybe the NX is the same? Worth a try I guess

I might be mixing this up with another car review, but I seem to remember a couple of reviews where they said the 200T needs premium fuel, but the 300H runs best on standard or low octane unleaded. Might be worth a try though.

I might be mixing this up with another car review, but I seem to remember a couple of reviews where they said the 200T needs premium fuel, but the 300H runs best on standard or low octane unleaded. Might be worth a try though.

In the UK they can both run on normal unleaded. However, in the US, where their fuel quality is lower, it needs premium for the 200t which is basically equivalent of normal unleaded for us. Ive heard good things about Shell Vpower, I might try it out to see if it makes a difference on the RX

I tried the shell Vpower the other day and am pleased to report that i am getting an extra 10% fuel economy so i am now on the low 40's mpg. That included throwing it around some lanes today in sport mode. I would like to hear if others have the same experience.

A bit of an update ... My NX has now done about 3k miles - so one assumes "bedded in".

A 150 mile trip on the A34 / M4, resulted in an MPG of 29.5.

Don't buy a Lexus NX Hybrid if your expecting good fuel economy lol

I tried the shell Vpower the other day and am pleased to report that i am getting an extra 10% fuel economy so i am now on the low 40's mpg. That included throwing it around some lanes today in sport mode. I would like to hear if others have the same experience.

Interesting Hunslet ... Maybe I'll try the VPower stuff on the next fillup

What tyre pressures are you guys running? I'm on 36psi all around. It definitely makes a difference! Oh and the tyres too! What tyres are on your car's? Bridgestones are notorious for poor fuel economy

It's also worth noting that hybrids do very well when momentum is kept Eg slight acceleration downhill and then let the speed pull you up the hill etc

Shell V Power Nitro user here. 4 MPG more than when I use regular in Europe if no Nitro availlable. I've also seen photos of a cylinder head thats done over 100k miles on Nitro, no carbon build up very clean looking.

I only know of one Shell station in Spain.

• 3 weeks later...

Another vote the premium stuff ..

I was struggling to get 30mpg (28 was my norm) ... filled up with Shell VPower - and got an immediate 5-8mpg more .. thats about 20-30% improvement !

Another fill up - this time with BP Ultimate - similar results.

Father-in-law says there's something in this .. and that hes read in some car mechanic mags that Japanese cars seem to be better on the premium fuel.

The fuel costs me about 10% more than unleaded (109p against 120p) - so it seems the logical choice.

Just to share my experience. Picked up my NX F sport last Thursday and made a quick trip from London to York and back over Easter. With the cruise on at 70mph, plus about 30 mins of stop start traffic, I was getting a consistent 43.2mpg all the way and back. The engine is definitely not broken in and I'm running standard unleaded. The tyre pressure was at 33psi.

Well I didn't. The car was doing the driving for the most part. I will never buy another car without adaptive cruise! I love how it works in a traffic jam as well. :)

I totally agree about the adaptive cruise control. I tend to use it more around town than anywhere else although you do have to be on your guard at a roundabout as you can be sucked round in front of traffic coming from the right before you know it!

You're very brave! The autonomous nature of it all was already disturbing enough on a highway. I wouldn't risk trying it in town where there's so much going on.

But back on the mpg topic, I'll reset the counter and do another short motorway test this weekend. See if I get the same numbers and report back.

Honest John Real MPG at http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/lexus/nx-2014/300h reports an average of 33.5 mpg which agrees with the above reports.

The economy reported on the HJ site and in the above thread is extraordinarily poor compared to the IS 300H.

I don't see the point of buying a NX 300H when other SUVs with conventional engines can easily achieve a real world economy much better then the NX 300H. Plus the NX 300H is rather expensive compared to the trim level offered by other cars in the Lexus range (e.g. IS 300H) and there are currently no discounts on offer.