Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Nx True Mpg

I think that's good for a 2.5 petrol on short journeys when I doubt a diesel 4x4 would be any better than that - my Evoque really plummeted when doing small journeys like that to well under the 43 average it used to get - down into the 20's

• 3 weeks later...

6500miles + and perversely although the weather has been colder these last couple of weeks, mpg has been 39 to 40 on last 3 fill ups - all Shell standard unleaded and this really seems to give the best results. What are people's experience of running the tank down? I usually run down to when the light comes on and find I only get around 45 litres in - does R mean it goes into reserve and then how brave can you be?

That's really good MPG, much better than I am currently achieving, but I am sure your journeys are longer than mine. When I do a longer journey I can get to high 30's but they are few and far between. When the light comes on the trip computer tells me I can do about 30 miles, but from what I understand you can do almost double that, but I have never tested it out. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting to read that Chris Evans reviewed the new Infiniti Q30 2.2 diesel SUV for the Event magazine (Sunday Mail). He had mixed feelings about it, but did say he only achieved 26.4 mpg against the claimed 57.6! Nothing surprising there I suppose, other than to confirm the average mpg the 300h achieves, although also much lower than the claimed, is still a fair bit better than a 2.2 diesel. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Had an NX300h SE as a courtesy car for a day whilst my IS300h was being serviced. I went my normal journey home from work, which is about 15 miles in length, to check how the economy compares. In my IS I get between 48 and 61 mpg, according to the fuel computer, depending on how I drive, weather, traffic etc and having driven this journey hundreds of times I know quite well what mpg I would get.

For this particular trip I'd expect to get around 55 mpg in the IS and I got 48 in the NX. This NX only had 100 miles on the clock and whilst modern engines don't really need running in (most improvements people experience is more to do with getting use to the car and a hybrid system rather than the engine loosening up) I'd expect a slight improvement and also getting more use to the vehicle should allow an improvement to 50 mpg which means it is around 10% less efficient than the IS which isn't too bad considering it has a less efficient engine, slightly heavier and is less aerodynamic.

My journey to work was slightly different from normal and I got 43 mpg in the NX. Normally in the IS it is around 48 mpg.

9 minutes ago, DJP said:

Did you enjoy driving it Colin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did, although I didn't really spend enough time with it. Compared to my old RX400h it certainly cornered better however I did find the ride a bit unsettled on a stretch of the M3.

A slight annoyance was the mechanical indicator return. Having become use to electronic indicator stalks in the IS I though the days of fighting with the indicators when wanting to go right but turning left onto a roundabout were over - I don't understand why the NX being newer than the IS has an older system.

1 hour ago, ColinBarber said:

I did, although I didn't really spend enough time with it. Compared to my old RX400h it certainly cornered better however I did find the ride a bit unsettled on a stretch of the M3.

A slight annoyance was the mechanical indicator return. Having become use to electronic indicator stalks in the IS I though the days of fighting with the indicators when wanting to go right but turning left onto a roundabout were over - I don't understand why the NX being newer than the IS has an older system.

I'd be hopeless as a car reviewer, I've been in my NX for 6 months and hadn't noticed that!

9 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

Had an NX300h SE as a courtesy car for a day whilst my IS300h was being serviced. I went my normal journey home from work, which is about 15 miles in length, to check how the economy compares. In my IS I get between 48 and 61 mpg, according to the fuel computer, depending on how I drive, weather, traffic etc and having driven this journey hundreds of times I know quite well what mpg I would get.

For this particular trip I'd expect to get around 55 mpg in the IS and I got 48 in the NX. This NX only had 100 miles on the clock and whilst modern engines don't really need running in (most improvements people experience is more to do with getting use to the car and a hybrid system rather than the engine loosening up) I'd expect a slight improvement and also getting more use to the vehicle should allow an improvement to 50 mpg which means it is around 10% less efficient than the IS which isn't too bad considering it has a less efficient engine, slightly heavier and is less aerodynamic.

My journey to work was slightly different from normal and I got 43 mpg in the NX. Normally in the IS it is around 48 mpg.

I wish I could get near to those figures, but I don't. I did a 30 mile round trip today and managed 37 mpg, which for me is good, in fact the best for me in three months, I rarely get above 35. Since owning the car I have achieved 31.8 so far, with 36.1 being my best fill up. I once, just once got to 40.0 mpg on a 70 mile trip, back in the summer last year. It is fair to say most of my trips are of very short duration which does not help. :(

On 10 April 2016 at 10:58 PM, Sparks16 said:

Fully laden up to Northumberland and I'm at 33mpg after my mysterious drop to 27mpg over the winter  on premium unleaded !!

If you're in Yorkshire like me you'll get awful MPG just because of the hills and dips we have everywhere

However,  my RX is doing that kind of MPG atm!!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, external temp makes a big difference.  After several winter tanks around 40 mpg, now back at 43. Not entirely sure I agree about hills (also live in Yorkshire) - mpg through hilly rural countryside is one of the NX's best efforts (as I found with my Prius).  In my experience, fast motorway cruising is probably the weakest part of the hybrid fuel economy repertoire as compared with the heavy-oil burning competition.  Struggle to get much above 40 mpg on long motorway trips.  Anyway, it's spring...

NXsm.jpg

• 1 month later...

Did a 150 mile round trip last weekend. 75% motorway averaging 70+mph, rest 'A' roads averaging 50-60mph. Just pipped 40mpg, which is not bad at all. Best this year so far.

OK not many 200T F Sports in this thread.  So for anyone wondering, I am getting up to 23 mpg mainly driving local town centres and suburban roads on short journeys.  I feel this is on par with a lot of 2.0 petrol engines.

10 hours ago, Sybaris said:

OK not many 200T F Sports in this thread.  So for anyone wondering, I am getting up to 23 mpg mainly driving local town centres and suburban roads on short journeys.  I feel this is on par with a lot of 2.0 petrol engines.

Yes, from what I have seen that is about right. Longer journeys giving 27+?

The dealership swore blind they were getting 25 - 28 mpg on urban.  Still I was expecting/hoping for 24 so I guess I can't complain at getting 22-23 mpg

I've had a loan of a RAV 4 hybrid for a few days, which is similar in size to the NX, and a very similar power train as far as I am aware.  I've been averaging between 57 and 62mpg on long runs, and 48 in town.  That's massively better than the NX, so how come?? Pity it's so damn ugly!!

10 hours ago, lee789 said:

I've had a loan of a RAV 4 hybrid for a few days, which is similar in size to the NX, and a very similar power train as far as I am aware.  I've been averaging between 57 and 62mpg on long runs, and 48 in town.  That's massively better than the NX, so how come?? Pity it's so damn ugly!!

It's the same vehicle essentially, in the same way the CT is an Auris. Just has different suspension, body panels and interior. The RAV is slightly lighter, the engine/hybrid tuning is different and they normally only have 17" wheels which all help in improving economy.

7 minutes ago, wh05apk said:

It's also front wheel drive only on the lower specs. 

Only on the lowest spec, exactly the same as the NX.

If the loan vehicle was the FWD variant than would also explain some of the difference in mpg compared to the NX.

The RAV 4 I have been loaned is an Excel 4WD with Toyota Safety Sense pack. According to the figures, it's slightly quicker than the NX to 60 too, but it's the 60% improvement over the NX's urban and extra urban figures I usually achieve that is so significant. Maybe Lexus ought to fit smaller wheels and tune the NX differently if it makes that much difference. I would give one serious thought if it weren't shaped like a brick, as the hybrid system works a lot better than in the Lexus. It is relatively easy to get up to A road speed without the engine cutting in, and the Battery recharges much more quickly.

On 18 June 2016 at 10:14 AM, lee789 said:

The RAV 4 I have been loaned is an Excel 4WD with Toyota Safety Sense pack. According to the figures, it's slightly quicker than the NX to 60 too, but it's the 60% improvement over the NX's urban and extra urban figures I usually achieve that is so significant. Maybe Lexus ought to fit smaller wheels and tune the NX differently if it makes that much difference. I would give one serious thought if it weren't shaped like a brick, as the hybrid system works a lot better than in the Lexus. It is relatively easy to get up to A road speed without the engine cutting in, and the battery recharges much more quickly.

We looked at a Rav4 before we ultimately decided on the NX...It if wasn't so ugly both inside and out, we would have probably gone for it! 

Just completed a week in southern France of 1200 miles with a variety of fast autoroute driving at 38mpg and 45mpg on D road cruising about 50:50 mix so that's an average around 41 - not unhappy with that tbh

Yes, that seems a reasonable mpg for an 2.5 litre SUV. A diesel may have bettered it slightly, but not by a huge amount and it would have been noisy. :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links