Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Nx True Mpg

I just prefer to drive mine as necessary with climate on and set to the desire temperature. Also set to clear the screen if required. Heated seats on too when needed. I don't think I'd ever consider having the climate set to off in order to squeeze a bit more mpg. Is a better mpg really that important? It's good to see what others achieve in theirs but I doubt I'd ever go to these lengths to save fuel. Wondering how many others would do this?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have an IS 300 h and was thinking about getting the NX 300 h next , but after reading the comments here I am really put off by the poor mpg talked about here . I am getting over 50 mpg at the moment so I don't relish going  down to less than 40 mpg !! 

I had an IS300h as well and averaged about 44mpg so my figures for both cars are below most other owners. But that will be down to the roads and traffic for me, so I wouldn't take it for granted that you will see your MPG figure plummet.

What you must understand is that any SUV is heavier than a saloon/hatch, so whenever any buyer plumps for a SUV over a saloon/hatch for the first time they will notice lower MPG. So yes, the NX will provide lower MPG than an IS, the same as a BMW X3/5 will have lower MPG than a 3 or 5 series saloon. The NX compares favorably with other SUV's, in fact for a petrol/hybrid it does quite well compared with diesels, without the noise, although it is fair to say that on long journeys diesels should give slightly better MPG, whilst on short journeys the hybrid should come out on top. 

IS300H is 1595kg. NX300h some 100kg heavier and if you take 4wheel drive another 100 or so, so 200kg more than the already heavy IS. You need fuel to move that weight.

the there is the drag coefficient of 0.29 to 0.32 for the NX. As the NX is higher the frontal area is much bigger than the low IS so needs more power/fuel to push it through the air.

last point they do not have thesame engine, the IS has some 30horses more so the weaker NX engine has to work harder that the IS for thesame result.

the higher torque of a diesel engine could possibly suit a heavy SUV better as always pull on tap at almost no revs but then again if i drive an NX in town i happily float along with traffic.

After 42000 miles in 17 months, my long term tank to tank mpg is still 39mpg - I don't think many large diesel suv's will better this and I know I would rather drive a quieter more environmentally friendly tank than one of those and that comes from someone who has had diesels for the last 30 years.....

• Like 1

Agree with Paul - around 41mpg after 16000 miles. The laws of physics suggest that an NX will not match an IS in terms of fuel economy, but whether the slightly higher consumption is a deal-breaker is an individual thing. Clearly what would improve the consumption, at least for those of us who do lots of shorter trips, is a plug-in drivetrain. So far Lexus has turned a deaf ear..

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Martin J said:

Agree with Paul - around 41mpg after 16000 miles. The laws of physics suggest that an NX will not match an IS in terms of fuel economy, but whether the slightly higher consumption is a deal-breaker is an individual thing. Clearly what would improve the consumption, at least for those of us who do lots of shorter trips, is a plug-in drivetrain. So far Lexus has turned a deaf ear..

Yea, a plug in would be perfect. Sadly it does not look like it will ever happen. 

On ‎15‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 7:21 AM, Dealkent said:

I have an IS 300 h and was thinking about getting the NX 300 h next , but after reading the comments here I am really put off by the poor mpg talked about here . I am getting over 50 mpg at the moment so I don't relish going  down to less than 40 mpg !! 

Have you actually calculated how much it would cost you based on your mileage?

18 hours ago, DanD said:

Have you actually calculated how much it would cost you based on your mileage?

No , I know what you are getting at , but a 20 % reduction in mpg must equate to an increase of 20 % of cost of petrol . 

Not a fortune but worth considering, plus every year we drive to south Spain & back , so getting 20 % less mpg would increase cost of our journey 

Understandable. No-one wants to pay more for anything. If you do a low mileage it's not a big issue, but if you are a high mileage driver then it would become one. As time goes on we all want to get more MPG out of our cars, not less. For me though the MPG was not a deal breaker, although it is fair to say I wish it did do the 54 MPG Lexus quote. The trouble is we all know that the claimed figures are no-where near the true MPG, which the motor industry keep high for marketing reasons. The biggest con in the motor industry sadly, which various governments fail to put right. 

The main cost on any car is depreciation and from seeing how well the NX holds value I'd bet it actually works out a lot cheaper to run overall but yes it would be a hit on the fuel costs each month :(

Just hoping Toyota / Lexus hurry up playing catch up on EV, they lost so much time insisting Hydrogen was the way forwards.

I am completely bored with the whole economy debates on here. Is this the number one requirement for Lexus drivers? Surely not. Please.....

Paul, It's a main discussion point because it is about the only slightly negative thing about the NX. In many cases it is not a deal breaker, but for some it could be. And obviously quite a few people do feel they want to post what MPH they achieve, good or bad. That's a good thing surely? Open discussion. :)

It's all a bit boring for me. Maybe a Lexus is so bland to drive that we over focus on economy and fuel saving tips and I get better economy than you threads?

Surely one of the main reasons for buying a hybrid is for fuel economy? And cheaper road tax . I came from Jag XF diesel, and wanted better fuel economy, not worse . I was averaging around 38 mpg , but now getting 50 to 55 on , my .IS 300 . Getting an NX means going back down to 40 mpg , but as pointed out earlier , could save more on the depreciation. 

Maybe a couple of reason but for me, coming from a CLS AMG averaging 18mpg, was the calm serene progress around town. The 40+mpg is nice but Lexus hybrids major on urban motoring, highway or cross country the economy plummets. 

• 4 weeks later...

New NX 300ct Lux - New to LOC, but not to Lexus this is number 4 for me - first tank 37MPG and second tank giving 43MPG - Think owning (well wife did) CT200h and how to use the EV is the trick.

• 2 weeks later...

It's right what others have said, economy does go up during the summer months. Can't work out if the batteries work better in warmer weather or whether it's because I'm not driving with heater on, lights on, wipers on, heated seats etc. Climate control on all the time though and I've turned off the automatic AC and efficient ventilation because it helps to keep the cabin at a more constant temperature and I find I don't have to keep turning the temp up and down all the time

I follow someone on YouTube who runs a Tesla, he has pointed out several times that the energy consumed on a journey is significantly affected simply by the fact that the roads are wet. Over the past few days it has been wet and my average mpg has dipped, apart from wet roads I have used the heated rear screen and mirrors and notice that when they are turned off the average goes up a little.

I think there there are many factors that all add up to give better mpg in summer over winter, I noticed in my previous car, a diesel Honda CRV, but I used to just put the drop in mpg down to the fact that winter diesel isn't as good as summer diesel, they change the blend to prevent waxing in cold temperatures, maybe all cars are affected.

Vince

On 21/05/2017 at 8:15 PM, paulrnx said:

It's all a bit boring for me. Maybe a Lexus is so bland to drive that we over focus on economy and fuel saving tips and I get better economy than you threads?

Does seem to be more of an issue on the NX side of things - no one seems to bother much on the RX side.

On 6/29/2017 at 1:33 PM, rayaans said:

Does seem to be more of an issue on the NX side of things - no one seems to bother much on the RX side.

I'd be so much happier in an NX450h....... Please Lexus, please

I've just moved from IS (2013 Lux) to NX (2017 F Sport). I have calculated everything in - lease, service, insurance, consumption etc - and reckon they're going to come in close to equal. The NX will probably be marginally more expensive once replacement tyres become necessary, but by very little.

Obviously this will depend, for others, on how they buy the car, whether they can put it through a business, and so on. 

What I would say is consumption is unlikely to be a deal breaker when everything else is considered, although clearly if you're on high mileage then I see why it is a concern. 

Just to add my early impression is that the NX is a considerably more comfortable car - and I was already impressed by the IS in that regard.