Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Nx True Mpg

The Cayenne appeals to a bigger audience ( good or bad).

Regarding deals, Porsche Leeds are offering super deals at the moment. Go visit , you might be suprised. 3rd year warranty is now included and servicing packs are now available.

I specced the car up nearing the RX( no HUD ) and the discounts are eye watering.

The Cayenne appeals to a bigger audience ( good or bad).

Regarding deals, Porsche Leeds are offering super deals at the moment. Go visit , you might be suprised. 3rd year warranty is now included and servicing packs are now available.

I specced the car up nearing the RX( no HUD ) and the discounts are eye watering.

I might pop in closer to RD release but I'm more interested in the Macan than the Cayenne, prefer how it looks

:offtopic:

I think some editing of this thread is needed. Somebody looking for NX mpg information is going to have to wade through pages of irrelevance :angry:

In conclusion - NX mpg sucks lol. End of thread?!?

I am not sure we should be making too much of the MPG. We all know the 'claimed' figures issued by all car makers are rubbish. They are all guilty of manipulating the system, something that should be stopped but the government seem to be taking forever to do something about it. Lexus are more guilty than some others, but they all get away with blatant lying and will do so until forced into telling the truth.

Honest John has the NX down as 34.3mpg. I think many are now achieving closer to 40, but we'll see.

If you look at what other SUV's of similar engine size etc do it makes interesting reading.

Landrover Sport 33.0

Freeland II 34.2

Evoque 34.5

BMW X3 39.6

BMW X5 32.2

Audi Q5 34.3

Mitsubishi Outlander 40.1

Volvo XC90 30.6

Skoda yeti 4x4 Auto 41.1

Kia Sportage 2.0 Auto 29.3

Nissan X-Trail 43.1

So you see, most are about the same. If you want better MPG go for a saloon or hatchback, but in SUV form, with the extra weight you will most likely not get over 40mpg.

The problem there Goggy is that all those other cars are either petrol or diesel only (apart from the PHEV version of the Outlander which can achieve far better figures), whereas the NX is a petrol hybrid, and sold as being more economical due to the hybrid drive train. It would be interesting to see the economy of the NX as a straight 2.5 with no hybrid system, because I reckon it would be down in the low 20s, The issue seems to be that the 2.5 engine is under powered, and uneconomical, which is not a good combination. It needs a more powerful and economic petrol engine, and a larger Battery pack for the hybrid system. Until that happens you have an expensive, slow uneconomic car, that is hopeless at tackling hilly roads with anything like a full load. My guess is Lexus are well aware of the 300H's shortcomings, but they would have made the 200T less attractive to buyers by giving it the extra power it needs.

Without checking them all I think they are all diesels. I would have thought any petrol engine big enough to power a large SUV would need to be at least 2.0 or more and would most likely not get above 30mpg. Am I not right in thinking that? The hybrid system improves the MPG so that it gets close to what diesels achieve but without a noisy diesel engine. I think if anyone does a lot of long distance driving a diesel is probably the better choice, but anyone who does mostly short journeys (like me) are better off with a petrol. I have never liked diesels, and 90% of my journeys are 15-20 minutes, so a diesel is not a sensible buy. Yes, the 35MPG is still disappointing, i would have liked to be assured of 40+ as my current CT achieves an average of 46MPG (well down on the claimed 69MPG) so I would not like it to be 10MPG less, but I don't think over a year it would make a huge difference to me if it was. I still hope to get nearer 40, but only time will tell. It is a hard choice. I did look at, and drive, several diesels, but they all seemed so noisy compared to a hybrid.

P.S. Having checked, large petrol SUV's are a rare breed. the Audi Q5 2.0 petrol has a real life MPG of 28.5. I think the 200t is going to be similar to that isn't it?

Right on all counts Alec. It was the petrol engine that attracted me to the NX, as there are not many SUV petrol alternatives. Just a shame the 2.5 is so disappointing. I would agree that your driving would make petrol the better option, but if you do between 20-30 miles a day, perhaps a plug in hybrid would be your better option?

Yes, I did consider a plug in, but within my price range it was only really the Mitsuish Phev that was a possibility. I was put off by the looks, a bit square and boring in my opinion, a basic interior with too much cheap looking plastic, and my local dealership looked a right mess. the only person in the showroom looked like a cleaning lady and although I was there quite a time I was not approached. Okay I could have gone elsewhere but by then I had seen enough to put me off. I should have at least test driven one I suppose, but it just did not fit into the premium brand I was looking for. I do like a bit of luxury and that did kick into touch quite a few before I even got started. :)

Goggy, I'm in a similar situation. I fancy an SUV but won't touch diesel for the same reason as you (and others!). To find a luxury petrol/hybrid SUV is very difficult. I've driven the NX a few times and it seems more than adequate for my needs, which are fairly modest. I'm getting 42mpg from my IS300h and would expect to see this drop in an NX due to weight and aerodynamics.

When I switched from my 2nd Gen IS250 to the IS300h I literally halved my petrol bill. If I go for the NX, based on what I've read here I'll be seeing mid to high 30's. In financial terms that seems to be about 10-15% extra on my current petrol spend. I can happily live with that.

Pity Lexus haven't gone down the plug in route, because the NX would be a much better car all round with the hugely improved economy, and big increase in performance. I wasn't impressed with the Outlander PHEV either, and a friend who works at a dealer with Mitsubishi on the same site told me that the cars were cheap, nasty and felt like they were made from recycled beer cans. Not really what you expect when paying up to £43k for the car.

I agree, a plug in NX would be brilliant. It will come, but not for a while yet methinks. More and more saloon plug in's are now becoming available, it's only a matter of time before we see more SUV's. I would definitely be up for one of those. You never know, the Toyota Prius plug in is doing quite well I think.

I reckon Lexus may go straight from hybrid to Mirai Hydrogen Fuel cells. Then we will have cars that cost pennies to run, but no infrastructure in the UK to support them. Let's face it, they can't even provide adequate recharging points, or deal with the thoughtless idiots who constantly park their cars in bays reserved for plug in vehicles only.

And that is why the Lexus/Toyota solution makes so much sense right now. I would expect a decent improvement in the next version of their powertrain but not a wholesale shift in their approach. I think the next Lexus model change is likely due next year (CT?) so that would be the right time so expect some improvements in that sense. As far as this topic goes, the fact the real figures and test figures are so far apart is disappointing but when you do look at the competition, it isn't all that bad is it?

The next gen Prius needs to come out, that is where Toyota's hybrid technology is refreshed first. Rumours are that the normal 10% improvement should be maintained with each generation, possibly only with lithium ion batteries which may be an expensive option. Plug-in isn't going to be standard, it will be optional as it currently is however it will have more range.

CT isn't going to be refreshed for another couple of years, it has only just had a mid-cycle refresh and needs the Toyota base platform upgrade first, be that the modular platform the new Prius will be built on or kept as a rebadged Arius.

We have never really had an issue with the economy of the Nx we get 37-40 most of the time,but like Lee we found out early on how bad the Nx was on hilly roads with our first trip to cornwall,the Nx is a great and luxurious motorway and town car but the lack of power on hills has spoilt a quality car so much so that we are even thinking of changing it after only nine months.

Is it really a lack of power? I have an IS300h, which I appreciate is different and weighs less, but power is not an issue, are you referring to the CVT gearbox screaming when any power is needed, giving the illusion? I find the IS surprisingly swift, particularly if driven around the gearbox to keep revs down, it is so refined it feels a lot slower than it is.

We have never really had an issue with the economy of the Nx we get 37-40 most of the time,but like Lee we found out early on how bad the Nx was on hilly roads with our first trip to cornwall,the Nx is a great and luxurious motorway and town car but the lack of power on hills has spoilt a quality car so much so that we are even thinking of changing it after only nine months.

That is a great shame. I live in Hampshire, so not many steep hills here thankfully. Odd when you think about it, the car being made in Japan where it is very hilly, you would have thought that they would have noticed that.

That is a great shame. I live in Hampshire, so not many steep hills here thankfully. Odd when you think about it, the car being made in Japan where it is very hilly, you would have thought that they would have noticed that.

I've had a couple of test drives and deliberately pushed it a bit, trying to compare it to my IS300h and didn't feel it was particularly underpowered. That said, I don't remember deliberately seeking out hills which I will do next time. I wonder whether some of it is perception because of the hybrid drivetrain, rather than not enough get up and go.

Sent from my iPad using Lexus OC

Is it really a lack of power? I have an IS300h, which I appreciate is different and weighs less, but power is not an issue, are you referring to the CVT gearbox screaming when any power is needed, giving the illusion? I find the IS surprisingly swift, particularly if driven around the gearbox to keep revs down, it is so refined it feels a lot slower than it is.

Trust me its power lol. It just doesnt want to go up the hills! You have to be at halfway on the power band to get any real go

The NX has a 20% lower power to weight ratio compared to the IS300h due to the extra weight and giving up 28 bhp. All of that power loss is from the petrol engine which then has to work harder to get up hills.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links