Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Nx True Mpg

The specs aren't the same on the website, the NX has around 200 bhp and the IS 220 bhp.

The main difference is the IS engine has direct injection, a higher compression ratio and more power. The NX engine was reused from the ES300h - together with the transmission it is designed as a transverse engine suitable for front wheel drive vehicles.

I have to disagree with something that Valkirk says regarding Eco mode. My understanding is that even the dealers are telling Lexus owners not to rely on Eco mode as a lot of the time you are having to push the engine. In many situations you are better off using sport mode. I have just been to the Lake District and found the hills there to be quite pleasant in Sport mode but a pain in Normal.

I am back home in sunny staffordshire now and since my last visit to the petrol station i have been getting 45 mpg

Mainly Eco mode does the following:

Reduces sensitivity of accelerator pedal (to encourage slower acclerating)

Reduces Airconditioning operation

Emphasises keeping engine off as much as possible

The main change you will notice is in Winter - if you put the car into Eco mode and drive on a cold morning the cabin will stay cold for a very long time as it emphasises turning the engine off as soon as possible to save fuel rather than keeping the engine hot to provide heat for the cabin.

Check it out on a cold morning, drive a bit in eco mode and notice no heat blowing in then switch to normal and listen for the engine firing up to start heating the cabin.

http://blog.lexus.co.uk/hybrid-driving-lexus-top-tips-for-best-fuel-economy/

I've noticed something very strange with my NX . Cruising along the M1 at 50mph due to the restrictions, the EV sign came for approximately 7-10secs travelling at 48-50mph. The radar cruise wasn't activated. I thought anything above 28-32mph was petrol only.

No, the 28 mph limit is just for the manual EV mode. The vehicle can turn off the engine in normal running at speeds up to around 50 mph (more so in Eco mode).

One way to increase mpg on a 40 mph road for example is to accelerate up to 40 mph, lift off to invoke auto EV mode and then apply the throttle again very lightly to maintain the speed. You can run for a good mile or two in electric only at 40 mph depending on the initial Battery charge.

I've noticed something very strange with my NX . Cruising along the M1 at 50mph due to the restrictions, the EV sign came for approximately 7-10secs travelling at 48-50mph. The radar cruise wasn't activated. I thought anything above 28-32mph was petrol only.

That's fine, normal and good for your fuel economy! The electric motor can help the car sustain its speed, which is why it came in for a short while.

Sent from my iPad using Lexus OC

An average of 45mpg is as good if not better than you would get from a comparable diesel such as a bmw x3 , which is pretty good for a petrol suv especially given the refinement of the NX.

An average of 45mpg is as good if not better than you would get from a comparable diesel such as a bmw x3 , which is pretty good for a petrol suv especially given the refinement of the NX.

Not when you consider the RX450h does 35mpg on motorways in Sport mode with 5 people so basically you're trading 7mpg for 100 less hp, less weight, 1000cc and 2 cylinders less and skinnier tyres. And the NX refinement doesn't really come close to the RX either.

Not when you consider the RX450h does 35mpg on motorways in Sport mode with 5 people so basically you're trading 7mpg for 100 less hp, less weight, 1000cc and 2 cylinders less and skinnier tyres. And the NX refinement doesn't really come close to the RX either.

It's a 10 mpg difference but Martins 45 mpg was an average not a motorway figure, realistically, how much would you expect a 2 tonne petrol auto a wd to achieve?

I think few similar size diesels would achieve an average of 4 mpg.

It's a 10 mpg difference but Martins 45 mpg was an average not a motorway figure, realistically, how much would you expect a 2 tonne petrol auto a wd to achieve?

I think few similar size diesels would achieve an average of 4 mpg.

I was referring to motorway mpg only. If I used an average I'd be at 38 or so mpg.

NX kerb weight is 1895kg in F Sport guise. RX comes in at 2205kg!

Realistically with that huge 300kg difference, smaller engine and running narrower 225 tyres I'd be expecting atleast 50mpg. Considering the huge performance deficit, the NX doesn't really return much in terms of economy or refinement as it gets pretty loud at even half throttle.

The 200t I tested did 33mpg average. Id rather take that if it had the right spec

The X3 20d manages 45mpg average but it has some serious shove (although it's rattles) which the NX can't match. Why they didn't go for the IS powertrain is beyond me - I doubt it'd affect fuel economy much

I agree the is powertrain may have helped, but even in the is, you would struggle to achieve 50mpg average, I think you are being unrealistic expecting 50mpg+.

Like I said - BMW X3 20d can manage 45mpg average - on just A roads and Motorways it may be touching on 48mpg in M-Sport guise and that's got some seriously beefy tyres and its not exactly short of performance like the NX.

When a 3.5l Lexus Hybrid can do 35-38mpg I cant see why the NX can't do more than 45mpg (lets just say not many owners are seeing above 40 mpg anyway)

The IS can achieve 56mpg as shown by whatcar and 60mpg as shown by Motoring research. If driven normally itll get 45mpg in my hands so the NX is seriously lacking somewhere - especially since I had the Premier - again - beefy tyres at the rear and I dont exactly drive slow

• 1 month later...

Alan, just my personal opinion, but I would stick with your IS Premier if you can, at least until Lexus sort out a few of the issues with the NX Hybrid, and offer a greater variety of options. To get an average of 48mpg from your IS is excellent, and it's a lovely car.. I am lucky to average 30mpg in my NX FSport 300H, and that slips to mid twenties in town driving. My daughters partner has just purchased an NX 200T, and he gets returns almost as good, but enjoys the additional performance, and no hybrid quirks. I wish I'd waited for that model, or not bothered with the car at all.

If this thread has taught us anything, it seems to be that NX owners are getting a wide range of fuel consumption, with driving style and other variables having a big impact. To reassure Alan, after nearly 2000 miles I'm still seeing consistent low to mid forties in a mix of driving. I 'd expect this to drop a little over the winter, however.

Alan, just my personal opinion, but I would stick with your IS Premier if you can, at least until Lexus sort out a few of the issues with the NX Hybrid, and offer a greater variety of options. To get an average of 48mpg from your IS is excellent, and it's a lovely car.. I am lucky to average 30mpg in my NX FSport 300H, and that slips to mid twenties in town driving. My daughters partner has just purchased an NX 200T, and he gets returns almost as good, but enjoys the additional performance, and no hybrid quirks. I wish I'd waited for that model, or not bothered with the car at all.

Wow you're getting the same MPG as me in my RX - although mine never slips under 30mpg. It pretty much stays the same unless I go on the motorway where it increases to about 35-38mpg.

My wife's IS on the other hand got 55mpg on the motorway when brought back from Chester. In town its doing about 45mpg but still, pretty good.

• 2 weeks later...

:offtopic:

The topic is 'True MPG'. That is what I posted wasn't it? Or have I missed something? :)

What you missed Goggy was ganzoom posting a pic of the Tesla Model X, which whilst quite a vehicle has nowt to do with this thread. Back on topic, my NX only has 250 on the clock so I'm not going to comment on my mpg for a little while yet. Been using the adaptive cruise control though - brilliant!!

Sent from my iPad using Lexus OC

Did a 75 mile motorway/'A' road trip the other day. About half was at 40/50 mph speed restrictions due to roadworks. Achieved 40mpg. Coming back was 37mpg as less was speed restricted. I appear to be getting 33-37 on average for local driving, the lower mpg being for the shorter trips.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links