Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Nx True Mpg

Speaking to my local dealer today they were surprised that I couldn't get anything more than 30-32 mpg, and suggested 40mpg should be the norm.

My daily commute is about 900 yards so I know I'm not giving the car a fair chance.

Speaking to my local dealer today they were surprised that I couldn't get anything more than 30-32 mpg, and suggested 40mpg should be the norm.

My daily commute is about 900 yards so I know I'm not giving the car a fair chance.

I do some very short journeys sometimes, probably in the car for 5-8 minutes depending on traffic. The car has not even warmed up when I park and stop the engine again. On those very short trips I rarely get above 30mpg, my average being about 28.

If you are reasonably fit, your health your car and the planet would benefit by walking 900 yards!

Yep, I agree totally. In fact I tend to walk if I can, anything up yo 30 minutes is what I try to stick to, unless I am picking up something too heavy to carry or I am in a hurry. But of course not everyone is fit enough to do that. It is easy to assume everyone should be able to walk 900 yards, sadly, that is often not the case.

• 2 weeks later...

I have now done just over 1k in the F Sport, and enjoyed every mile, especially those when using the adaptive cruise. For reference, in my IS300h F Sport my real world combined mpg was 42 during the summer and 38 autumn/winter.

The 1k miles have been totally consistent with my previous driving pattern, about 350 motorway and the rest pretty short stop/start suburban/town drives. My combined average as per the computer, which can compare directly to the above, is 37.6 mpg.

Considering the extra weight and less aero dynamic shape compared to the IS I am more than satisfied with the results to date.

Sent from my iPad using Lexus OC

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh dear - I got 34mpg in my RX450h on Sunday in SPORT mode (which I always use now). 4mpg extra for 100hp less doesn't sound great for you guys! And of course, I live in hilly yorkshire, which is the WORST for economy!

And this was over 90 miles btw :D

• 3 weeks later...

Just done a full tank all in ECO mode, but all very short journeys with the engine hardly warmed up each time, so a worse case scenario for MPG to be honest. I knew I was not going very far for 10 days, so decided to keep in ECO mode and see what I get. The longest journey was about 10 miles, which returned 38 MPG, but the rest were roughly 3-6 miles. The total was 32.4 MPG. so it looks like in ECO I get about an extra 3 MPG, although that is not 100% certain. Overall I know the car can do about 34 MPG in mixed conditions and range and high 30's on longer journeys. Since I have owned the car it is now 33.5. I have always returned less than the national average, due to the distance I travel, so I would think the national average to be about 3 MPG above my figure, so 36+.

Just checked on Feully and the current average for three cars (that is all that is registered so far) is 37.1, the lowest is mine at 33.5, then one at 36.8 and the highest is 43.1! I think the National, real world, average (not Fuelly) is about 36/37 so it falls in line with what I thought.

Interesting to see some recent MPG figures for some other cars I was interested in.

BMW X3 31.4 from 30 cars.

Honda CRV 32.9 from 119 cars.

VW Tiguan 28.8 from 22 cars.

Nissan X-Trail 27.6 from 9 cars.

Kia Sportage 27.9 from 11 cars

Audi Q5 25.5 from 5 cars

So, although the diesels probably do well on long journeys, the short journeys are where the MPG is much lower, so their averages are not as high as some would expect. Makes the Lexus NX look quite good. :)

The recent cold weather has affected the mpg somewhat. I am averaging 35.8 overall per fill. It still beats the competition according to fuelly.com.... and no diesel clatter. By no means is the NX brilliant but, it's ticking most of the boxes and I'm content with what it's good at👌

• Like 1

Yes, Fuelly does seem to be accurate. Of course the only problem with them is that some models have different engines, so sometimes you don't get to see a true picture (at first glance) on each engine type unless you use the filter option, which then will give a truer picture.

Just taken delivery of my first Lexus - a NX300h SE - have to say first impression is very favourable and have done 250 miles in the last 24 hours taking in a 120 mile A & B road trip and then a 140 mile motorway run - so far mpg looks around 35/36 but on a tight engine I don't think that's too shabby.

Just taken delivery of my first Lexus - a NX300h SE - have to say first impression is very favourable and have done 250 miles in the last 24 hours taking in a 120 mile A & B road trip and then a 140 mile motorway run - so far mpg looks around 35/36 but on a tight engine I don't think that's too shabby.

Welcome to the club and don't forget to post some pics! The mpg seems to vary enormously but if you could sustain that sort of level you'd be at the higher end of the scale. Look forward to your further thoughts on the car :)

On A & B roads, travelling at 30-50 MPH I can get 38-40 MPG, as that is the best possible scenario for the car. On motorways it comes down to 33-35 MPG as once it gets to 70+ it does reduce the mileage a bit. So that does seem about right.

3 months now with my NX300 F-Sport.

Still love it - even with my I.T. problems I'm still having :-(

Used to switch to pure EV mode but doesn't seem to make any difference (MPG 37 roughly)

Next test I suppose is a full tank on sport and see what I get then....anybody done that ?

Not me, I think I would find it too quick, I like a nice sedate drive these days. It's always there to overtake if needed, but to be honest I have not found I have need to go into Sport mode as much as I did in my old CT, which did need the extra responsiveness.

Actual brim to brim mpg over the first 311 miles was 34.4 with perhaps 160 of those on the M6 at 70mph - hopefully will improve - managed to get some super unleaded for only £1.04 so filled with that and the latest indications have been around 38.....anybody else see better results on super? Our Swift Sport definitely gets better mpg although it is designed to run on 95 RON too and I have heard elsewhere that Japanese cars run better on the expensive green pump.

I have wondered about super unleaded, but have net yet tried it. I did read somewhere that it is not needed, so don't bother, but I also read that once every 5-6 fill ups it can be good for the car. I have no idea whether or not either is true.

Second fill up, after a tank full of super yielded 40mpg - I'm not sure it was totally full but was at the first cut off so maybe a little under filled but seems that super may work better - filled with some more cheap super from Tesco and will confirm results next time around. Tbh - I have been trying to drive like a saint so a longer period of monitoring will only prove this.....

Have finally managed to break the 40 mpg barrier - downwards :( After tankfuls between 46.0 mpg and 40.1 mpg since July, broadly correlating with temperature, a 250-mile press-on fully-laden motorway journey earlier this week yielded 37.0 mpg. Shorter range trips since then have seen consumption back around 40. May give the NX some super unleaded for Christmas, as others have suggested, and see what the impact of that is. I used to think it was worth 1 or 2 mpg in my Prius.

• 3 weeks later...

So how about this one...

I thought I would fill up last time with super unleaded (I always use Sainsburys) and see how things went mpg wise. I have averaged on standard unleaded around 37mpg on town and motorway journeys (all driven in standard mode). So I fill up with super and my mpg drops to 27 and has styed like that throughout the tank ??? Back to the normal stuff for me from now on !

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links