Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What Modifications Do You Have (Is220D)?

Levi5387

I just recently bought an IS220D a few months ago and couldn't wait to add a few modifications to it. First thing I bought was a tuning box from TDi Tuning, they thought they could only alter the fuel injection on the IS until the looked under the bonnet, turns out there was a connection to the turbo too.... bonus. They claim it would have approx 220BHP and 470NM torque. As soon as it was installed and I took it for a test drive with them, the difference put a huge smile on my face. Slightly less turbo lag under 2 revs, but the torque is amazing mid range.

Although it's not a modification, I seen so many posts about the EGR, so I had that taken off and cleaned. It was pretty packed up with carbon, the car had only done 65,000 miles.

Then I bought H&R lowering springs, they said 35mm drop, seems like more to me but I didn't measure. After installment, the ride is a little firmer, I can fell speed bumps and pot holes more than I did before. But far less roll going around the corners and the car looks far better.

And recently had my windows tinted, not fully dark, I don't want it to look to much aftermarket, I also had the front windows tinted to a just legal shade.

I am looking at alloy wheels next, most likely 18 inch lexus wheels. Currently have really ugly 16 inch lexus wheels. Previous owner sprayed black.

What do you have?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the fourm

So how is the tdi tuning box I was thinking about getting one. How close do you think they could be to the "claimed" 220bhp. Also has your mpg gone up as well?

With the h and r springs have you got quite a bit of space. I've got 19s and again was looking at them however dubious if I have enough clearance.

I've also got a dpf back custom made stainless exhaust which has a rather different sound to it. However does make it a bit more responsive.

I've currently got my egr being done today just to see if it makes a difference as I'm at 70k and have no idea if its been done before.

Welcome to the fourm

So how is the tdi tuning box I was thinking about getting one. How close do you think they could be to the "claimed" 220bhp. Also has your mpg gone up as well?

With the h and r springs have you got quite a bit of space. I've got 19s and again was looking at them however dubious if I have enough clearance.

I've also got a dpf back custom made stainless exhaust which has a rather different sound to it. However does make it a bit more responsive.

I've currently got my egr being done today just to see if it makes a difference as I'm at 70k and have no idea if its been done before.

I would say the box is worth the money, make the car feel a different car, performance wise. I would say it's plus 200bhp easy as the difference is so noticeable.

With my current wheel I have about an inch space left. Obviously with bigger alloys, you'll have smaller tyres on the IS. I think you could squeeze them in.

I get 48mpg on a motorway, when I cruise about 80mph. I live in germamy, it's legal ;) the lowest I've seen my average is 39.8mpg.

48!? Pfft. I'm lucky to get more than 40 to be honest. Hmm might have to invest in the tdi tuning box then. My current average is about 34.

I'll have a look and see about squeezing them in. Might have to be after the new year as I'll probably get the tuning box before then.

48!? Pfft. I'm lucky to get more than 40 to be honest. Hmm might have to invest in the tdi tuning box then. My current average is about 34.

I'll have a look and see about squeezing them in. Might have to be after the new year as I'll probably get the tuning box before then.

I think I could get it to 50mpg, if cruising at 70mph with the tdi box set to economic mode. Currently in the middle out of I think 5 settings. Eco to performance. I will give it a try someday. I also tried redex in the fuel but just make the car puff white smoke so I stopped. :)

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys, I'm new to the forum. I've also got an IS220d..with Multimedia. I've had it for about 4 years now. As a testament to how good the car is; I've been thinking about changing..had some drastic ideas like a 4.2 Audi S5 and a 350z. However, all in all neither of these options can match the Lexus for overall kit! Amazing!

As a result I'm looking at a few mods, definitely want to consider the tuning box and have seen the TDI tuning box mentioned a few times. I'll likely try this in the new year. Have either of you considered a different air filter (like K&N)? I'd love a dual exit exhaust too, what sort of noise do you get out of your one?

After that is like a few aesthetic mods, thinking of smoking the rear light clusters, new alloys (Black with a silver lip - my Lex is black) and would like to get the door scuff pads changed for some illuminated ones.

Thanks!

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

Hi spartan, I would say the tuning box if definitely worth the money for the IS. I'm also looking at new alloys, kei force 10s, 18 inch.

I have mot done anything to my exhaust so it still sounds original. I would like a new air filter too, with a tuning box as it's pushing more fuel and boost in the the engine. I would imagine a better air intake would make a notable difference.

Hi Levi5387,

Thanks for the info, I'll definitely give one of those boxes a go in the new year. Absolutely, it would seem that a new air filter could go hand in hand with the box. I believe that K&N do one for around £50.

The Lex has so much torque already, I can imagine that with a box and a few other fitments it becomes a bit of a monster! I will consider an exhaust, but it is an awful lot of money to go custom!

The rest will be aesthetic mods I think, not a bad looking car at standard, but always room .

Well, mine doesn't have metal scuff plates at all..just black plastic. It was a standard SE model that's had the multimedia pack added. Hence why some little bits like that are missing. I'll get in touch with my local dealership and see what can be done. They're a nice touch though!

Hello all,im new to these forums.I thought i would just share what mods i have on my 220d.

I have 17 inch borbet wheels ,a pro boost 2 racechip and sprintbooster fitted.

I have had the car for a year now and im really pleased with it so far,its the second lexus ive owned ,2002 is200 petrol was the other one (which i loved)

Hi levi. The sprintbooster is a device that improves pedal response,its fitted to the accelerator pedal by plugging into the existing wires/plug behind the pedal and it is in my opinion the best modification for the 220d as it helps remove the dreaded 1st into 2nd gearchange judder and makes the car feel more responsive.In reality all it really does is tells the ECU there is slightly more throttle been applied.It adds no more power to the car at all,

The race chip tuning box does add more power and plugs into the cars fuel rail and alters the signals to the ECU.

I hope this explains things ,other tuning chips will probably work just as well as the racechip and there are other products that are similar to the sprintbooster that will work the same no doubt.

Hi guys, relatively new on here, bought my 2010 is220d on 1st September this year. Ive been contemplating a few modifications myself, I've already got a K&N replacement panel filter on mine fitted it only last week. If and when i get enough money id love to get a custom exhaust on from the DPF, Ive heard the cats can be removed and still pass emissions? looking at £2-300. Ive also been trying to decide weather to get 35mm lowering springs which are roughly £150 or proper BC Coilovers which are £700? if i got alloys id go for bronze Rotas. Also been wanting a remap of some kind thinking a rolling road remap would be better? I want to try and get rid of the huge lag low down and in between gear changes!

Thanks guys

I heard wheel spacers mess up the turning circle of the vehicle. I have 16 inch alloys, soon to be changed, with lowering springs and it looks so much better. Needs spacer thou, now the wheel in tucked somewhere inside the arch, I have to bend over to see them hehe.