Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rcf First Drive

Chester have got 2 in. Blue I knew would look good, but their black one looked really mean. Despite my general distaste for Black / Silver / Grey / White cars, this would be tempting. They've got the plate TH15 RCF on the black one which is amusing but wouldn't be for me.

The cars really do need to be seen in the metal, as the pictures do not do them justice, and I loved the interior.

I now feel the need to take a trip to Stockport to see the White one.

Haven't yet seen an RCF in the metal (my dealer hasn't got one in yet) but having read several reviews, including the M4/RCF burn-off on Pistonheads today, I feel the ISF is the better car by a long margin:

- current price (cheaper)

- four doors

- less 'lairy' looks

- lighter and same performance

Maybe the GCF will be an improvement on the ISF, but will have to wait and see....

Haven't yet seen an RCF in the metal (my dealer hasn't got one in yet) but having read several reviews, including the M4/RCF burn-off on Pistonheads today, I feel the ISF is the better car by a long margin:

- current price (cheaper)

- four doors

- less 'lairy' looks

- lighter and same performance

Maybe the GCF will be an improvement on the ISF, but will have to wait and see....

You forgot the negatives of the IS-F, interior isn't up to par, doesn't sound as good as the RC-F and the handling isn't as good. And what use is 4 doors if there's still only 4 seats?

Just read a multi page review of RCF in Autocar.

They really don't like it very much......

Do they like any Lexus much bar the LFA?

Rayaan,

I think you are missing our point.

The negatives you have mentioned about the IS-F can be addressed (hell, there were a set of RC-F seats for sale on the US forum that you could retro-fit to an IS-F if you wanted to).

The exhaust is easily remedied by using any number of good quality aftermarket systems (you can even go Titanium and still have loads of cash to spend on it compared to the RC-F).

As for handling, install a set of KW V3's, a Quaife or similar LSD, the FIGS handling kit, and you have a more competent setup than the RC-F under pretty much all conditions.

As for the four doors, the RC-F slopes down for the rear seat passengers. One journalist who was only 5ft 6 struggled to sit comfortably in the back seats. No such issues with the IS-F. You also don't have to keep folding the seats (one thing I hated with the Supra when I took the kids anywhere). The boot space is also a lot more generous on the IS-F.

Interestingly a lot of positive press has emerged for the IS-F recently.

I like to think of it as a similar story to the Nissan GTR. The purists will always admire the R32 as being the original model to spark the huge success and appreciation for such a great car. The models that followed were bigger, heavier, more refined, but not necessarily better.

The IS-F was and always will be the first relatively affordable performance Lexus ever produced.

No doubt it's a step forwards and I can appreciate the improvements but it's not enough to get me out of an ISF. Even second hand id rather by the isf and spend 5-10k improving it. We are all different.

Personally I can't see a situation id want this car. I'd have a used 911 or lotus evora over it. The only additional practicality of the rcf is the boot. That's just me though.

People on piston heads seem to like it in favour of the m4 so that says how well Lexus have done.

Stu

If I was only worrying about something for myself, I would still favour the GTR over the RC-F.

As it is, I need something semi-practical.

For me, the IS-F ticks all the boxes.

The only other car I would have that could do that would be the RS6, but they are not as exclusive as the IS-F, and can cost a lot more to run if they go wrong.

If money were no object, there are other choices, but for £20-25K, you can't really beat them! :)