Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rcf First Drive

Hmm

The email I received had a number of dealers names attached to it:

Listers, Sidcup, Hill Toyota and more. I presume all flying out from Farnborough and yes Scott Bassage, is the event organiser.

I think I had an earlier email with the Manchester dealers attached. Who are your chaps dealers?

I have also outlined below some further details you can share with your invited customers, aswell as confirming your departure airport, which you and your guests will need to arrive at least 90 minutes before your departure times of Manchester 11.00am and Farnborough 11.30am.

Manchester Airport - Lexus Hull. Lexus Wolverhampton, Lexus Stoke, Lexus Manchester, Lexus Sheffield, Lexus Leeds, Lexus Bradford, Lexus Nottingham, Lexus Carlisle, Lexus Derby, Lexus Chester, Lexus Stockport

Farnborough Airport - Lexus Cheltenham, Lexus Coventry, Lexus Guildford, Lexus Sidcup, Lexus Exeter, Lexus Leicester, Lexus Ipswich, Lexus Cardiff, Lexus Woodford, Lexus Hedge End

The email I received had the following reminder.

'I am still waiting for the following registrations'

Rob Fulford and 2 guests, is Jardine Motors your dealer?

Unfortunately, the deadline was 11am today.

Not my dealership..I sent Scott my registration document last week.

The dealership that offered me the place was Hedge End.

Apparently, the ISF was bog standard, other than the ABS being disconnected. At full chat the car sounded great. I was told that in the dry, 10 sets of tyres were used in a day! I noticed they were Michelin all round.

The RCF is a great car and I am glad I had the opportunity to drive one round a track (albeit the slowest). How much better is it than the ISF, hmm I don't know. What I do know is that it sounded better, felt more planted and had better brakes. I had my hot lap with Alexander Wurz, boy he can drive!

• Like 1

It was a great trip out. I would argue that some may find the RCF sounded better as they artificially pump engine noise into the cabin. I'm not a fan of that after sampling it on the IS300H when I had one as a courtesy car. The RCF did drive well and the torque vectoring really came into it's own on the damp track. In the F it may have been a bit more tricky to take some of those corners. The highlight of the trip for me was the ISF drifting. I was giggling like a loon when he threw the car around.

I'm not sure I will be getting an RCF anytime soon though...it didn't wow me as much as I thought it would. It's a great car with some fantastic toys but for now I'm more than happy with mine. Maybe when somebody else takes the hit on the depreciation it could be an option.

has anyone been sent a email or text with the web site for the official photos taken at the Ascari track?

And can anyone remember the woman;s name who did the fast lap in the RC-F , i know the guys name was Alex Wurz, but can't remember her name.

has anyone been sent a email or text with the web site for the official photos taken at the Ascari track?

And can anyone remember the woman;s name who did the fast lap in the RC-F , i know the guys name was Alex Wurz, but can't remember her name.

I had a text from Lexus about the official photos but when I logged in with my PIN there were no items to view.

The site was here

http://www.rcf-trackdays.com/

I can't remember the German rally drivers name though.

Scratch that..found her

Isolde Holderied

• 4 weeks later...

Well guys, I have to say it doesn't sound as though anyone is overly enthusiastic about the RCF, or am I missing something here?

The RC-F is going to be very limited in the UK, its taken 7

years to get around 200 IS-F,s in the UK, and that’s a fairly practical family

car, with 4 doors, were the RC-F is really only a 2+2, ok for someone like me

or as a second car.

The GS-F would probably be a more practical family car but I

have a feeling its going to be much more expensive than the RC-F. my guess

close to £70k.

So with only 200 IS-F’s in the UK and only 7/8 members on

this site your not going to get to much enthusiasm for the RC-F only me talking

to myself. Lol.

Well, it's all been a bit of a let-down for me. I've been following the RCF for a long time now. I really enjoyed my 2010 LSD IS-F, especially above 3500rpm! I love the Lexus ethos, and have been fortunate enough to have worked in the Motomachi plant along with a few others, and I can tell you that the amount of work that goes into the development stage of a Lexus vehicle is staggering, and the Quality Assurance of the build process as close to flawless as you're going to get. This, along with the incredible customer service experience, well, nothing touches it. The odd thing is that you don't normally need it, but if you do, it's nothing less than pleasant in my experience.

Anyway, this time last year I was driving around in an RX450h magic carpet - fabulous car but no soul. Couldn't fault it, but I wasn't 'looking forward' to driving it next time, it's just not that kind of vehicle. So I really wanted something to get the enjoyment back in the driving experience. I bought a CLA45 AMG - great car. 2.0ltr 355bhp, 0-60 in 4.1 blah blah blah - again, great car, but it was only to be a filler whilst I waited for the RCF... then the first few reports came out. 'Way too heavy - a quarter of a tonne heavier than the M4' / 'slower in every way than the M4' / 'less practical than the M4' / 'doesn't handle like an M4' / 'much thirstier than an M4' - well, I bought an M4.

The car handles brilliantly. The gearbox is one of the best (I have MIRA test track driver experience as an automotive development engineer). Contrary to what many say (as they've probably only heard 'YouTube renditions) it sounds amazing in Sport and Sport+ (the sound is pleasantly muted in 'comfort' but goes for it after 3,000rpm too) - there isn't really much to say that isn't complimentary, and I'm looking forward now to driving it home from work a little later on. But you know, I've seen a few more videos now, and read every report going on the RCF, and I'm lined up for a February test drive as and when my dealer receives their allocation. You see, I still have this yearning - a deep seated yearning.

The M4 doesn't quite do the cossetted thing that well, due to road noise from the tyres and suspension set-up. Don't get me wrong, it's not 'overly noisy', but sound-deadening material (usually asphalt based) is heavy, and BMW have looked to minimise weight. I assume the RCF will be subtly different. The Harman Kardon set-up is nice, but have you heard the Mark Levinson system?? The M4 exhaust sounds really good, but the RCF by all accounts is 'wonderful' - adding to the emotional quality aspect of the vehicle. I know the rear sits don't fold forward, but I know Lexus / Toyota have an unwritten rule that golf clubs WILL fit in the boot... I love the styling (M4 quite bland in comparison) and the exclusivity (not many M4s around, but they will come).

In summary, I'm convinced that 'the RCF is where it's at' - and then I read the blog written by the guys who have driven the car and therefore whose opinion matters to me, and I'm just not feeling the love... :eerrrmm:

So, is it me, or am I missing something here...

I agree with every thing you have said about the RC-F., and

by the way you can get 2 sets of golf clubs in the RC-F. lol.

I have nothing against any other car manufacturer, I have never driven a BMW, Audi, Mercedes, or

jaguar, I should really, just to compare, but I am happy with Lexus.

I was lucky enough to spend the day at the Ascari race track

with the RC-F, I was driven round by Alexandra wurz, mostly sideways, and spent
time driving it around myself, ( not sideways ).

The new Mark Levinson system sounds good enough for what I

need, and the type of music I listen to.

At 53 years old my racing days are well gone.

I am not interested in 1\4 mile or 0-60 times.

the car will spend most of its time in “eco mode”, will probably not

go over 80mph, and travel 3500 miles a year, so what the hell are you buying a
RC-F for I hear you shouting at your computer screen.

Answer, because I like the look of it, and really is it, I should

wait for the RC300h witch is really more me, but ha ho you only live once.

The only thing I would say about the reviews is that I

haven’t really seen one which concentrates on what I would call normal driving
on normal roads, they all seam to be throwing it round a track. Feed back from
the US have said that it is a pleasant and comfortable drive compared to the
M4, but then I have not driven a M4

It will be interesting to hear your thoughts once you have

driven a RC-F, but I don’t think your be to impressed compared to your M4.

I think the exclusivity of the rcf for me makes it desirable. Reviews seem to be better the more they happen. All however say it's too heavy. That isn't an issue for not track going folk but it will put off many.... It just will.

As an every day car it is great, practical (ish), looks great, sounds great, great spec etc

Be great to hear your thoughts against the bmw when you get it.

Stu

I think the RCF is a very good car, comparable to a M4.

I prefer the looks, the dash and of course the sound of the RCF. I have not driven a M4 but the synth sound may be nice. However, it cannot compare, not even to my ISF.

Is it too heavy? If it is a quarter of a tonne heavier than a M4 and only .5 of a second slower to 60mph that's an achievement. An American road test had the RCF about a few tenths slower around a track than a M4. The driver had to work very hard in the M4 too. There are also references to the RCF being faster round a track (USA). Each to their own though.

I will be interested to see the UK back to back comparisons. Sorry, but I'm sure there will be some bias. The emphasis will be on track performance when possibly only a small percentage will actually take it there. As I would only be prepared to spend my money on a used car, it would be the RCF for me.

3 MSF will you be taking your car to the track?

Guys - thanks for the replies and views. To clarify a couple of things, firstly, the Mark Levinson sound system is probably the best 'non after-market' sounding system I've ever heard, or probably just the best I've heard full-stop. I'm afraid I'll have to beg to differ with you Andrew, but the M4 sound will more than compare with your IS-F; I had a 2010 model and although it was good, the M4 is excellent, booming a bass-line from just over 1000rpm all the way to the red-line - and it doesn't run out of breath at all (a common issue with turbocharged engines). Secondly, forget the synthesized sound, it's less than 2% at maximum output. You only have to wind the window down and hit the accelerator pedal to hear that - oh, and the fact that everyone turns to look at what they're hearing - it really is a good sound - get yourself a test-drive and you'll appreciate it :winky: Oh, and don't forget that the IS-F pipes some noise into the cabin too.

I don't plan to track my M4, but if I was ever going to track a car, then this is the one. And this is where it all starts to become clear(ish...). The RCF looks stunning (I haven't a clue what colour I'd choose - I like a bunch of them; blue / grey / silver favourites). I like the saw-tooth wheels, but don't like the carbon hood, yet love the roof and spoiler (is there a colour that the carbon hood looks really good with?) I'd also like a sunroof, so I guess that's that sorted, but then the wheels become an issue...

Great looks, exclusivity, awesome daily drive, sounds amazing, and low annual mileage so 'low mpg' not really an issue, and with the current trend they'll be giving fuel away soon! :D

Yep - I'm thinking the RCF is the way forward. No kids, so can't see any point in the GSF, and to be fair, I'm not sure that probable cost and bland looks would really make it worth waiting for.

I'll look to put a bit of a review (or at least my considered thoughts) together after the test drive - after all, the proof of the pudding...

Mark.

Guys - thanks for the replies and views. To clarify a couple of things, firstly, the Mark Levinson sound system is probably the best 'non after-market' sounding system I've ever heard, or probably just the best I've heard full-stop. I'm afraid I'll have to beg to differ with you Andrew, but the M4 sound will more than compare with your IS-F; I had a 2010 model and although it was good, the M4 is excellent, booming a bass-line from just over 1000rpm all the way to the red-line - and it doesn't run out of breath at all (a common issue with turbocharged engines). Secondly, forget the synthesized sound, it's less than 2% at maximum output. You only have to wind the window down and hit the accelerator pedal to hear that - oh, and the fact that everyone turns to look at what they're hearing - it really is a good sound - get yourself a test-drive and you'll appreciate it :winky: Oh, and don't forget that the IS-F pipes some noise into the cabin too.

I don't plan to track my M4, but if I was ever going to track a car, then this is the one. And this is where it all starts to become clear(ish...). The RCF looks stunning (I haven't a clue what colour I'd choose - I like a bunch of them; blue / grey / silver favourites). I like the saw-tooth wheels, but don't like the carbon hood, yet love the roof and spoiler (is there a colour that the carbon hood looks really good with?) I'd also like a sunroof, so I guess that's that sorted, but then the wheels become an issue...

Great looks, exclusivity, awesome daily drive, sounds amazing, and low annual mileage so 'low mpg' not really an issue, and with the current trend they'll be giving fuel away soon! :D

Yep - I'm thinking the RCF is the way forward. No kids, so can't see any point in the GSF, and to be fair, I'm not sure that probable cost and bland looks would really make it worth waiting for.

I'll look to put a bit of a review (or at least my considered thoughts) together after the test drive - after all, the proof of the pudding...

Mark.

Some good points there but I didn't think the ISF piped any artificial noise into the cabin. I know the RCF does..as does the IS300h. I'm not a fan of artificial engine noise though, the first time I drove a 300 and put my put down the disconnect between what it sounded like and what I was experiencing was unsettling.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links