Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brake Upgrade

Dean8788

I'm looking to upgrade my brakes on my IS250 but I have a few questions, firslty what size are the front disc's? Now I was planning to get EBC slotted discs and red stuff pads, but is it ok to have slotted on the front and solid on the rear?

What's your aim with slotted discs? Unless you're trying to dissipate gassing on track days, you'll enjoy more braking power from solid discs in normal use.

The default fronts are 296 mm in size (piddling given the car's weight), in ideal conditions I can't get ABS to kick in as the tyres I run are grippy enough to overpower them - although I did enjoy the flash of the engine oil low warning! :) .

If you're running 18s or are happy with the caliper being scarily close to the rim, then the brakes from the IS350 / GS300? will fit. These are considerably larger and have a great deal more stopping power. Above that you have various big brake kits which will give you enough power and heat dissipation to always be sure you can stop quickly, even on a track day - which brings me back to my original question.

I know that slotted will make no difference for me on everyday use other than looks, which is my aim anyway. Drilled I want to avoid due to they can make a slight noise, I have considered getting some from a GS300, although that may wait until I do get myself some new alloys.