Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

As A New Owner....

Y.Flower

Hello to all.

I have few questions about Altezza. They might sounds a bit silly but i never had altezza, and never had a car with a same position of engine.

The engine in my altezza works a bit louder up to 3500 apx. I use to had is200, and engine never wasn't making any noise. Is anyone know, is it ok? (It is not a mechanical noise , just the way it works, or become less sound insulation than in is200, or engine located more in)

Another question is:

when i'm pressing clutch pedal can hear some sort of squeezing (rubber or something like...) and as well, when not pressing pedal can hear some noise from belts, when the pedal is pressed nothing - perfect work. I am going to change all belts any way, but will it sort the problems????

Thanks for any help...

Not too familiar with the Altezza ( I'm a JDM Celsior owner) but IIRC there is a separate oil filter for the VVTI system which often gets neglected and clogged causing poor oil pressure to the actuator, they don't cost a lot and are easy to replace and may be the cause of the noise you are experiencing.

As for the clutch it is unlikely to be caused by drive belts, the clutch release bearing is the usual culprit as far as I know the Altezza doesn't have a dual mass flywheel.

Thanks...

Didn't know those things about oil filter.

Heard that oil service should be done every 5000-7000 km, obviously next few days will be done. All belts, water pump, rollers, petrol filter will be done in a next few days (hopefully hit the road on a weekends). Will ask mechanic have a look the clutch, see what they say.

Sure this question is usual here, and there are plenty info in internet, but still. Any one who riding 3S-GE which oil is best,or better.(Engine, Gearbox(manual), diff)???

Cheers.

You a right, engine is different... But still it quite unusual for jap. cars. But from other side i didn't have any jap car except IS200(which is european) and this RS200.

In this point germany cars are better. where to buy a car with japanese performance, and handling, german quality, and british comfort???

A 4cyl performance engine is going to sound a lot different to a 6cyl designed to be Lexus smooth & quiet. You realise all ##GE engines have a head desiged by Yamaha? Does the car have a standard exhaust? Could it have a sports exhaust fitted? The RS factory muffler has a flap instide that opens at a certain rev range to aid in flow.

Your issue with the squeaky clutch is a common one, throw some graphite powered around the clutch fork & it may help. The other noise is the release bearing. Expensive to replace if you have to pay labour, most just put up with it until they replace the clutch.

As for lubrication;

Factory fill is 5.1L of 10W-30 or 5W-30. Being a performace engine you want an oil meating A3, B3, B4 or C3 spec, stay away from fuel efficent specs like A1, A5, C1 etc. If you're engine is high mileage (over 170K km) the you may want to look at a 5W-40 or 0W-40. Stay away from cheap semi syn 10W-40, the VVTi system doesn't like it. Service interval is 10K km.

Gear box takes 2L of 75W-90 GL4 (Motul Gear300 is the best option, Motylgear 75W-90 & Redline MT-90 are good/cheaper alternatives as well) Service interval 40K km

Diff takes 1L of 75W-90 GL5, if you have the factory torsen LSD then they like 75W-140 (helps them hook up quicker) Service interval 40K km or less if mineral oil used

Oil filter 90915-10003 / WIX 51394

Air filter 17801-46080 / WIX 46465

Thanks for info. ;)

Of Course i understand what is under my bonnet. But as a driver you can understand when engine and components are working perfect and when it is something strange. The exhaust looks original, wasn't any modifications done on it.

Is any one know will the clutch from lexus is 200, will fit Altezza.? Why I'm asking, because previous owner was telling something about it, and that he replaced for a new clutch. Maybe they fit from IS (or didn't change it at all), that's why it squeaking. I know for 3s-ge different clutch (cost slightly more) but is it really big difference, or some mm, but you still can fit it on?

Service going on.

Timing belt (water pump,and pulleys) was done few days ago.

Next weekends will go on a ramp for servicing oil, filters, spark plugs, and brakes.

Last few days was trying to find a pulley (the one is located on a fan belt). Belts are in Toyota, but they cannot offer any pulleys. Who knows where can i find it????

Same as a petrol filter, don`t want buy a new pump, same as cheap filter which might not fit.

Sorry for so many questions in a one go.

Cheers....

Re the pulley issue, again I may be completely wrong (like the engine sorry) but the LS400 has 2 pullies on the tensioner and idler and you can actually just replace the bearings if they are noisy rather than splash out 10x as much for the whole assembly.

What's is your frame number? SXE10-_______ i.e SXE10-0024235. I work at a Toyota dealer here in New Zealand so can help you out with part numbers. There are 2 different fuel filters depending on the year of manufature. 23300-74330 does from 10/1998-05/2000 & 23300-21010 for 05/2000 onwards

As for spark plugs, try find some Denso iridium SK20R11 or VK20 (the OE plug is platinium but they run alot better with Iridium). Alternatively NGK BKR6EIX11 or BKR6ERX-11P Iridiums fit as well.

Drive belt idler pully part number is 88440-20120, it aslo fits a few other models so maybe a good number in the UK. As Steve said pull it off & see if you can replace the bearing first as it'll save you a lot of money.

Thanks mates for your help.

Well back to squeaky sound...

So far I have done: Timing belt with a pump and pulleys, spark plugs, break disks and pads. Last weekends went in a garage to change all oil (dif, engine, gearbox). When I went under the car I was quite surprised, nice and clean, no any oil, all bushes are fine. Someone done a good job ( oils have been changed not long time ago, joints from differential are new, shaft from gearbox to diff looks like new) straight away question, why? Answer, I think someone was trying to get rid of that squeaky sound.

Now when engine works perfect and I went for a proper test drive I found where it is coming from. I think it is a clutch (flywheel) and some of the bearings in a gearbox.

Sorry for my English, I will try to explain max. Of what's going on. And will be grateful to hear some information from you guys.

So when car is running on a cold, there is some noise swish, press the clutch pedal - quiet, perfect. When car is driving there is some kind of metal noise (not loud) hum. Most of the gears, only on 4th and 6th much better, but not perfect.

I been searching on forums what is it... People say that it is often that bearings in a gearbox and full set of clutch (with a flywheel) need to be replaced. What do you think, any one come a cross?

Actually all that explains why so many new parts were replaced.

And one more thing, it seems that gearbox on Altezza J160 same as is 200, only house bearing(first part of gearbox is different) is it correct? It is mean that I can get is200 gearbox, test it if something needs to be replaced can be done, and I can still drive on my old one. For some time.

Thanks.

What's is your frame number? SXE10-_______ i.e SXE10-0024235. I work at a Toyota dealer here in New Zealand so can help you out with part numbers. There are 2 different fuel filters depending on the year of manufature. 23300-74330 does from 10/1998-05/2000 & 23300-21010 for 05/2000 onwards

As for spark plugs, try find some Denso Iridium SK20R11 or VK20 (the OE plug is platinium but they run alot better with Iridium). Alternatively NGK BKR6EIX11 or BKR6ERX-11P Iridiums fit as well.

Drive belt idler pully part number is 88440-20120, it aslo fits a few other models so maybe a good number in the UK. As Steve said pull it off & see if you can replace the bearing first as it'll save you a lot of money.[/quote

Thanks.

GF-SXE10-AEFVF-Z

3S-GE

SXE10-0003332

• 2 weeks later...

2014-12-11_1534.png

Looks like yours is a "Z Edition" as well http://www.japanvehicles.com/newcars/toyota/Altezza/main.htm

Yes the bell housings are different between 1GFE & 3SGE J160 6MT. Try some Motul Gear300 75W90 oil in it if you're having issue other than the squeak. They're a good box if well maintained. The squeak is the release / throw out bearing.

• 3 months later...

Sorry couldn't reply for so long, was busy, and many things was going on.

Thanks for your advises.

Back to noise from gearbox....

The other day I did changed all clutch kit with a flywheel. I have got JDM LIGHT WEIGHT BILLET STEEL FLYWHEEL from Japan (5.8kg) do the job very well.

But the squeaking noise still here and the actual noise from gearbox, from 1st to 5th gears. Now i'm nearly sure the bearings gone and squeaky noise comes from that thing which press and relies clutch bearing, nothing else left, i hope :))

I bought the other gearbox from Lexus is200 with a small mileage hopefully will instal it next weekend. Will let you know how it goes.

P.S

Don't want open a new topic, and can't find any info, so maybe any one know.

Have got the HKS intake air filter, to swap with that crappy air box, but found some sort of sensor on a bottom of the original air filter box, with two air pipes in and out comes from and goes back inside the box. Any one know what is this, what for? do I need to keep it (and how then?)

Thanks

Not too familiar with the Altezza ( I'm a JDM Celsior owner) but IIRC there is a separate oil filter for the VVTI system which often gets neglected and clogged causing poor oil pressure to the actuator, they don't cost a lot and are easy to replace and may be the cause of the noise you are experiencing.

As for the clutch it is unlikely to be caused by drive belts, the clutch release bearing is the usual culprit as far as I know the Altezza doesn't have a dual mass flywheel.

Actually altezza has dual flywheel something over 12kg, when single one from 5-8kg and most of them way cheaper then original dual. For the future info ;) :phone: