Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Auto Express: Is300H V Merc C300 Hybrid

What engine is in the Merc'?

The 2.5ltr petrol lump is the winner for Lexus..

C300 hybrid. I believe Its got a 2.1l four cylinder diesel with electric motors. Not exactly the smoothest of engines looking at the reviews

Awww... the Germans having a crack at hybrid powertrains... that's cute :P

Competition is good, it feels like Toyota have been taking it easy with their hybrid technology over the last 5 or so years, this should make them step it up a bit. Whilst it is somewhat easy to improve something that already exists, the hybrids that Volvo, MB, BMW etc. are producing seem to have big improvements in economy.

Lexus has said they don't want to use lithium ion batteries, and will wait for the next generation of Battery tech. The IS300H Battery pack is rated at 1.6kwh, compared to 65-85 for the pure EV Tesla, and 8.5kwh on the plugin/hybrid Golf GTE...So there's lots of room for Toyota/Lexus to improve on.

Having said that I cannot wait to order our IS300H, for all the talk about the engine sounding 'rough' at full acceleration it's still leagues better than a clattery diesel :)

Review is now online. http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/mercedes/c-class/89404/mercedes-c300-bluetec-hybrid-vs-lexus-is-300h

Guy I work with has a C300 hybrid saloon in AMG trim on order, due end of the year. He was quite taken with mine, so I'm intrigued to see it. I very nearly went with the new c class but didn't want to order blind.

I drove a colleagues Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV yesterday. I know it's a completely different sort of vehicle but it wasn't that bad. Quite punchy for a 2.0 engine and up to 60 mph on just electric from the Plug. 5% tax is incredible.

The times they are certainly a changing.

Lexus has said they don't want to use lithium ion batteries, and will wait for the next generation of battery tech.

Not really an official statement but a bit of marketing spin from somebody not really that senior. It is looking more likely that Toyota will have to move to Lithium Ion for their 4th gen hybrid system to remain competitive. That said they are also working on two new Battery technologies and continue to invest heavily in fuel-cells.

Not too impressed with the servicing costs, Lexus £773 for 3 services, but only £425 on the Mercedes. I think Lexus are chancing their arm and hoping that customer loyalty will kick in.

Cant see why you cant get it done at a toyota dealer if you want it cheaper.

Cannot wait for our 24hr test drive this weekend. Only other car in the running is a petrol C class, but the hybrid drive train on the IS has already pretty much won us over :)

Times are definitely changing, am 100% sure after the IS300H purchase for my wife, I'll be replacing my BMW 335i with a pure EV machine, most likely a Tesla in a few years time.

But I will miss the noise the 335i makes

Not too impressed with the servicing costs, Lexus £773 for 3 services, but only £425 on the Mercedes. I think Lexus are chancing their arm and hoping that customer loyalty will kick in.

Toyota, Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, Mini all within a couple of hundred yards of each other and part of the same group so there is limited options available.

• 3 weeks later...

Toyota, Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, Mini all within a couple of hundred yards of each other and part of the same group so there is limited options available.

Although the Lexus servicing is £773 for 3 services and the Merc is £425, take a look at the list prices!! Nearly £7k more for the Merc, £300 cheaper servicing won't get you that £7k back!

Although the Lexus servicing is £773 for 3 services and the Merc is £425, take a look at the list prices!! Nearly £7k more for the Merc, £300 cheaper servicing won't get you that £7k back!

What a weird post !

Is your point that people who buy cheaper cars should expect to pay more for servicing? God forbid we ever buy a Ford Ka !

What a weird post !

Is your point that people who buy cheaper cars should expect to pay more for servicing? God forbid we ever buy a Ford Ka !

No the point is that the Merc is £7k more expensive and even though the Lexus has higher servicing, the Merc would cost more overall

• Like 1