Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Driving Differently?

Just back from first long run (200 mile round trip) for 2 months and have smile on my face at mpg recorded - 49.4. Better than my previous 200d Advance on same journey, but did I drive differently today?

I find the hybrid more sedate and perhaps don't accelerate away from standing the same. Average speed may be lower as well as I don't recall driving the diesel at 75 for long distances - it was usually 80ish.

Anyone else noticed a change of driving style?

I'm over a year into the 300h and have definately changed my driving style. A combination of the Eco gauge and graphics, plus the engine noise (or lack of when running on electric) have made me much more conscious of what I'm doing. That's not to say I don't enjoy whacking it into Sport when the mood takes me, but overall I'm more aware of what I'm doing.

I also drive much more calmly and find I get far less frustrated than with my old IS250 which must be helping my blood pressure! I find the whole driving experience extremely relaxing and love it,
rather than racing away from every set of lights I'm content with keeping the gauge in the eco area and watching all the BMW & Audi drivers disappear into the distance with high blood pressure – very satisfying. Similarly every now and then I change to sport mode, slot the gear lever into S and have great fun with the paddles and ASR and find the performance more than adequate for my needs.

Hi all, I have just gone the other way, having driven a GS450h for 200,000 miles I now find myself in a new E Class Merc 220 CDI (long story) but have taken the hybrid driving method with me , it is never below 51MPG and up to the low 60s on a motorway run. Whilst I miss the performance and quiet of the hybrid I gotta say diesel is not as bad as I expected! Stop start with auto hold helps keep the noise down and £30 RFL helps.

Rather than changing your style of driving, the 300h is so relaxing that it disciplines your behaviour, by which

I mean that it keeps you out of mischief in most situations and in relation to other road users. You simply let

it do all the work and take you to where you want to go quickly, quietly, and with so little fuss that when you

step out of the car you find yourself thinking how much you enjoyed the ride while looking forward to the next.

Mid-range acceleration is excellent, and S-mode more than adequate for quick overtaking and a bit of

aggressiveness when the fancy takes you, and although I might cast lustful glances at top-end German

and Italian machinery, I honestly feel that I could not reasonably ask for more than what the 300h gives.

Evidence of my newly-acquired laid-back attitude shows in small things. When I get into the car, I contemplate

the pleasure to come by taking an extra few seconds to wriggle around in the seat in order to find an ideal

position (despite the theoretically already perfect pre-set one). This, I find, has a positive effect on blood

pressure. My grip on the wheel, while still firm enough to yield tactile pleasure, is looser than it used to be,

white knuckles having become a distant memory. My right foot, which once had a life of its own, is now more

controlled and certainly far less busy because of my gentler anticipatory approach to lights, roundabouts,

corners and tight curves etc., and this is undoubtedly the main difference in respect of my past driving

technique - and a considerable improvement too.

Had mine for over a year & never engaged Eco-Mode.Replaced my Mk.2 ISF.

The Sport is creamy smooth,the handling @ normal road speeds betters the ISF & running costs have been halved.

Compared to my ISF I no longer feel my License is threatened but I really do miss the brembo Brakes.

Tel