Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Blow To Free Trade

To my disappointment I learned earlier this week that Sewell of Dallas, Tx, which some

members might know as a very efficient online purveyor of original Lexus accessories

not readily obtainable in Europe, now no longer ships outside the U.S. Although they

do not say as much in their standard reply to enquiries, it must be suspected that they

were asked (or told?) to stop because they were taking business away from Lexus

subsidiaries in other countries.

There are some potentially reasonable and legitimate reasons why this company was told to stop shipping items overseas, if indeed it was. Parts may be slightly different for cars sold in in the USA to those sold here, it could involve claims against Lexus if the parts failed or caused an accident, it makes it harder to gather data on the reliability of parts, there may be legal implications concerning tax or import/export issues, and so on. On the other hand, the reason you cited is very plausible but it might be very difficult to prove and even more difficult to do anything about it if you did. Maybe it's a good reason for a US holiday or finding an American girlfriend!

"I had to order two sensors from the USA as they weren't available over here except from the dealer". That sounds like exactly the sort of reason why Lexus might want to disuade the US company from shipping here. Presumably the sensors were much cheaper from the US source or you would have bought them from the dealer here, and this rather begs the question of how the US company can undercut the UK dealer enough for you to want to use them. OK, there may be a greater volume of sales in the US to keep prics down, but this would be offset to some extent by shipping costs. A far more likely reason is that VAT in the UK adds 20% to the price whereas sales tax in Texas is just over 6% and is less in some other states. Comparisons between US and UK prices often forget about the effect of the different tax regimes. Of course, I don't suppose that any British Lexus owner would try to evade paying the tax due on any items they bought so I wonder if the advantages of buying from the US are as good as they might seem.

Of course one has to think twice (or thrice) before ordering mechanical parts online or from any supplier unable

or unwilling to guarantee the transaction on the basis of a reading of your car's VIN, and it is only right that

manufacturers should be concerned about product guarantees and liabilities. It is debatable, however, whether

their concern should extend to accessories of a primarily aesthetic or even whimsical nature like body trims,

badges, key-fobs and so forth.

Be this as it may, one important benefit of free competition is to keep prices lower for longer and, rightly or

wrongly, I prefer to choose my own suppliers and exercise my own judgment about any guarantees I might

want and the prices I might pay or end up paying if import duties are a factor. I therefore tend to see red when

I suspect that somebody somewhere may be interfering with commercial processes I have previously found

satisfactory.

Rabbers, you make a fair point about accessories - I guess that there might be difficulties on Lexus' part in deciding which were purely for aesthetic or whimsical reasons and which were not. It's probably easier for them to ban everything but, as you say, it does go against the principle of free trade.

I'm glad I got my side body mouldings, door edge protectors and sill plates a couple of months ago. I just can't figure out why Lexus does not sell these items in the U.K. as I think they would probably be a good seller. I was considering getting the front bumper and bonnet protection film, but it looks as though that's cancelled unless I do a stopover in MIA or JFK.

There are some potentially reasonable and legitimate reasons why this company was told to stop shipping items overseas, if indeed it was. Parts may be slightly different for cars sold in in the USA to those sold here, it could involve claims against Lexus if the parts failed or caused an accident, it makes it harder to gather data on the reliability of parts, there may be legal implications concerning tax or import/export issues, and so on. On the other hand, the reason you cited is very plausible but it might be very difficult to prove and even more difficult to do anything about it if you did. Maybe it's a good reason for a US holiday or finding an American girlfriend!

Any design change which alters the behaviour of a part, will be sold as a different part (with a different number). For example, lexus specify a 5000 mile service interval for the IS in the USA, but 10k miles in the UK. To keep costs down, they specify a cheaper, lower-performance oil filter in the US - however, it has a different part number allowing you to tell the difference, and is labelled as US model only.

Tax isn't an issue. HMRC will charge VAT and import duty as applicable on private imports; some might slip through in private mail, but generally anything sent by courier or insured will get caught and you'll be charged for it.

I do wonder if it was just a business decision by Sewells. Dealing with international sales is more expensive, more complex and prone to higher risks (e.g. credit card chargebacks, lost deliveries, etc.)

However, it is the case that lexus parts are relatively difficult to get in the UK, except though dealers, and aftermarket options are limited. Some parts which are used on a lot of popular toyota, mitsu, nissan and subaru models are easily obtained in the aftermarket (e.g. IS250 MAF sensor which is used on dozens of models - £75 for a denso sensor, £170 for a lexus sensor). However, things like O2 sensors which are only used on the IS250 and a number of US only models of toyota/lexus are basically not available in the aftermarket. Expect to pay about £180 per sensor from a dealer, or you can get an aftermarket Denso sensor (i.e. the exact same sensor from the same factory but without the toyota name) from the US for £65+postage+duty+VAT - comes to about £100 each.

Any design change which alters the behaviour of a part, will be sold as a different part (with a different number). For example, lexus specify a 5000 mile service interval for the IS in the USA, but 10k miles in the UK. To keep costs down, they specify a cheaper, lower-performance oil filter in the US - however, it has a different part number allowing you to tell the difference, and is labelled as US model only.

Tax isn't an issue. HMRC will charge VAT and import duty as applicable on private imports; some might slip through in private mail, but generally anything sent by courier or insured will get caught and you'll be charged for it.

I do wonder if it was just a business decision by Sewells. Dealing with international sales is more expensive, more complex and prone to higher risks (e.g. credit card chargebacks, lost deliveries, etc.)

However, it is the case that lexus parts are relatively difficult to get in the UK, except though dealers, and aftermarket options are limited. Some parts which are used on a lot of popular toyota, mitsu, nissan and subaru models are easily obtained in the aftermarket (e.g. IS250 MAF sensor which is used on dozens of models - £75 for a denso sensor, £170 for a lexus sensor). However, things like O2 sensors which are only used on the IS250 and a number of US only models of toyota/lexus are basically not available in the aftermarket. Expect to pay about £180 per sensor from a dealer, or you can get an aftermarket Denso sensor (i.e. the exact same sensor from the same factory but without the toyota name) from the US for £65+postage+duty+VAT - comes to about £100 each.

A good point about part numbers - but are all overseas dealers/suppliers as rigorous about them as, say, the UK or US? The OP said that the US supplier said that they no longer shipped "overseas" so this may be a problem not confined to just the UK and US.

Again, HMRC may (and I did say "may") be very efficient but, having lived in various countries around the world, I know that tax enforcement can often be, shall we say, capricious.

A lot of talk and discussion about one particular dealer here, i'd be very surprised if you can't find another Lexus dealer in the US willing to help or maybe even an aftermarket parts supplier willing to source OEM parts and supply.

In the Toyota world there are quite a few of us who have been sourcing spares from the US for many years and there are nowadays a number of dealers willing to ship worldwide. The many online parts catalogues mean making sure you specify the correct part number at the time you order easy enough and the parts can often arrive in just over a week (if in stock). As for tax, well sometimes you win, sometimes you loose you just need to consider this in the overall price you are quoted.

All good points

One big part which could be considered as a part you WILL need to replace at some point of ownership (it stung me and almost made me get rid of the car) is a new exhaust - fitted for a 2007 is250 I was quoted 2700 from a dealer. Back boxes and centre section.

Its not available anywhere else.

that's a ridiculous price for a "consumable" part but last year when I was looking for suppliers, there were a few in the states but shipping was horrendous.

Does make you wonder, a few years ago a very well known resource website for Lexus/Toyota part numbers had to close certain sections after apparently being taken to task by Toyota.

Really, the one I use is still very much open and pretty much up to date (has IS300H listings).

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links