Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Breaking Problem?

Bluechaos

Hey all

New to the group and my first Lexus (is220d) 07 plate, really happy with the car in the few months I have had it but I have noticed something that is a little disconcerting while driving. I noticed it a few weeks ago, I will try my best to explain and hopefully someone will be able to point me in the right direction.

Ok so most noticeable on the motorway with a fair distance between using the breaks. I press the break gently and as the traffic was slowing quicker than i was i had to press harder on the break, when i did this there was not a lot extra breaking power and as i pressed harder i think the abs kicked in. (I think abs?) had to move out the way into the next lane to avoid hitting the car in front. It happened again on the motorway this time i pressed the break gently and as the same thing was happening i liffted the break and pressed down again this time i got more power almost like there was air in the breaks. I got my mate round and we bled the breaks this made the problem worse as it seemed to render the breaks useless, as the fluid level although they had been bled didn't change it eventually did and after some time and pumping the breaks the breaks seemed to fix them selves but last night the same problem happened on the motorway.

The most annoying thing is tho if i break I don't get a lot of power until i lift the peddle and press it again then i get thrust forward because to me they seem to be working properly but as soon as I set off again and a little distance between breaks it happens all over again. The other thing that I am unsure of is when I apply the break in an emergency stop situation they work fine and as I expect them to but if I have the gradual breaking before an emergency stop then its just unnatural or at least it feels that way.

Please understand that this is my first real luxury car before this is have had astras and micras etc and went for a decent brand one that I have always admired so not sure if this is a special feature that I am unaware of?

Is there anyone that has had a similar problem taht could guide me ?

Thanks in advance

Ryan

Sounds like air still in the brake system, need to bleed them again

start with the one farthest away from from the master cylinder.

If they wont pump the fluid out,possible master cylinder or servo problem

If you are happy there is no air in, also check for partly siezed calipers and or badly

worn pads.

• 1 month later...

Hi all

I tried to bleed the breaks again but to no avail. I grew tired of this so I took it to a local garage and they investigated the problem. the problem seams to be the pins in the front calliper housing, some of the pins had rusted and were in bad shape but they managed to grease the pins and for the moment they seam to be working fine. Does anyone know if the pins are available without the calliper housing and if they are a dealer only part?

Thanks

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

This is exactly the same problem I am having. I have had the brakes bled yesterday to no avail.

Can you please let me know if your brakes still working fine?

Thanks Garry

Hi Gary

Yes my brakes are still working fine although I will be attempting to replace these pins with my mate soon, and doing the work myself.

I have since found out that the pins are available on eBay and from the dealer and are separate from the calliper housing, I will be going through the dealer for the parts as the pins are around £10 each so to save confusion and maybe not getting the correct part I will go with the dealer. I am tempted to phone a garage and see how much they will charge for them to get the parts and labour just so I know how much I am saving doing it myself. I have also been advised to change the brake pads when doing this. so might do that aswell although not strictly required.

What have you done so far to sort it

Hope this helps.

Ryan

Hi Ryan, thanks for the reply.

I'd been waiting for the cars service/MOT yesterday to get the garage to look at it, as we had both thought air in the system.

They bled the system refilled, but not much better. So today I started to look for an answer, I found your post and you are describing exactly the same symptoms I have.

So now I shall call my garage and suggest this to him, to be fair to him he hasn't really looked into the problem yet. But is knowledgeable on the Lexus's so should know.

Regards,

Garry

• 1 year later...

The pins are housed in the Caliper Carrier. This is a main dealer part only. Cost £161 plus £15 for the pins. Ask for a discount and try different lexus dealers. Guildford lexus quoted £206 and Croydon Lexus £192.00.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...