Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi I'm looking at RX models including the hybrid RX400h or the RX450h models.

I have a caravan weighing 1600kgs so it's important I choose the right car for the job.

I really like the RX 4 x 4's but I have read somewhere that the hybrid models are not recommended for towing.

Please can someone clarify once and for all.

Has anybody had any problems with their Rx models.

Are they costly to repair?

What mpg do you actually get from them and finally how much is the tax on these models.

Regards,Mike

Mike - 400h is a superb caravan tow car - I tow a Bailey Unicorn Valencia with average towing mpg of 19/20, and solo 30/32. Rock solid for towing, and often is pulling at 60mph on electric only! Yes they can be expensive to repair, but then that is the price for a quality car, just be careful of the alloy wheels - most are rubbish on the 400h - don't know if they have solved this with the 450.

Hello i've had mine for 2 years, mine is an rx400h, before that i had and i s 200 for 8 years and take it from me. The cars have excellent build quality and reliability is excellent . They're not cheap but as the guy before said he you have to pay for quality. i take mine to have a service once a year at the lexus birmingham, i use the essential service for cars that are not new and that has done me well for the past couple of years. It's a really excellent car and i can't see any trouble in towing so just go ahead and get one and you'll never regret it.

I tow 1600kg as well and it is fine. I also only get 19mpg towing, so its not great (my previous Hyundai Santa Fe did 23mpg towing) but the superior power makes towing simpler and the car overrall is far superior in terms of refinement.

I wouldn't worry about the hybrid bit - I think I've only read of one person having a hybrid issue of all the 1000s out there (including Prius' s which have the same system). My car is on 110k miles and still going strong.

And I can pull my van from standstill on the electric motors alone, which is a cool trick on site :)

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all

How do you manage with low nose weight of 80kg.

On the few occasions when i have towed with my skoda the nose weight has been 80kg anf i have not loaded the awning in.

Is there any way of keeping the nose weight down?

Please can you guys give me some feed back on this

Regards,

Mik

Noseweight is purely about how you load the caravan. Anything in front of the axle(s) will increase the noseweight, anything behind the axle will decrease the noseweight. Don't put it too far back as you risk a pendulum effect which could make the whole outfit unstable.

I put the awning on the floor behind the axle along with most of my chairs and I've got 75kg on the nose, even with a full gas bottle and spare wheel in the front locker.

Always try be close to the noseweight limit - don't get it down to, say, 50kg just because you can. The higher the noseweight, the more stable the towing, in my experience.

I towed my twin axle to France last August , absolutely no issues, as Neil says just load caravan sensibly.

Pulling away from a Peage a guy in a RR Sport with a smaller single axle van tried to beat me away and was very surpised when I left him standing !

• 5 years later...

Hi all,

Read with interest all the helpful comments about the rx450h, which we hope to buy shortly, along with our first caravan. I have however read that the Lexus is not good off-road and wonder if anyone has any comments to make regarding how it does when towing a caravan across a field?  I would have no other need of driving off-road. Thanks!  Lynda