Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rattling Noise Upon Slow Acceleration?!

:unsure: Hello, just purchased 90 LS 400 with 112K on it. Timing belt/WP recently done, and all Lexus service history. Upon slow acceleration, I hear a rattling noise from under the car (sounds like a loose heat shield). don't know if this is the problem....any one else out there with similar/advise...thanks

Hi...You can hear it for about 2 seconds when you accelerate from a stop, or when the vehicle is under load. Once it picks up speed, it disappears. It is more like a deeper sounding rattle. I suspect heat shields....could it be anything else? thanks.

• 5 years later...

hi i av a rattling noise when reving and pulling away but seems to go when rpm is up and over 4000 i took it to a couple of mechanics as i thought heat sheilds but one guy said it could be water pump as this was the area and the sheilds were not making noise he used a stepherscope to listern to diffrent parts of the engine and kept comming back to this, and also see on a different forum that a woman had simlar problem and she was told worn timing belt and water pump SO COULD THIS BE RIGHT WHO CAN HELP.

Hi, Just an idea, i had a heat shield rattle just at certain revs when pulling away, upon inspection it was some loose stones caught up inside.

Easy fix and may help you,

steve.

• 1 year later...

The heat shields are easy to spot. All they are are sheets of alluminium between various sections of the exhaust and the underside of the car. They look like footballers shin gaurds but bigger. Think Russel Crowe in the Gladiator.

Theres a thought: Russel Crowe protected by Lexus parts. Thats why he was invincable!

My name is Maximus Lexicus Heatshieldicum, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next. Oh yes, and i drive an LS400.

• 11 years later...
On 12/6/2003 at 1:32 AM, SimonR said:

Do you find that it makes any difference if the engine is hot/cold? I only ask because it sounds similar to my pinking problem.

Mine seems to go away after it's warmed up.   And mine's a rumble, kinda sounds like I'm dragging a snow shovel under my car.