Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Acura Nsx Vs. Is300 Vs. Sl600

AlienneilA

I have been thinking now, even though I love my IS300, that it is time for a change, ;) and I've narrowed it down to 3 choices, I wanted to get your oppinions. Still not sure if i can sell it, I have alot of sentimental attachments to this, but if i do.

I know were all Lexus fans in here but gimme ur oppinions, each car has very different strengths and weaknesses but they are all good in their own territory.

1.Keep my car

2.1991-1993 Acura NSX

3.1994-1997 Mercedes SL500 or 600

4.any year Toyota Supra Twin Turbo

:unsure:

Depends what you want to do with your car and how many other cars you have :)

All the other cars are 2-seaters and will offer less comfort (except the SL). In addition, if you are not going to mod your next car (i.e. that you are willing to put a lot of extra money to replace old/worn parts, ...). Remember that your existing car is a 2002, all the other cars are at least 4 - 6 years older.

I have been thinking now, even though I love my IS300, that it is time for a change,  ;) and I've narrowed it down to 3  choices, I wanted to get your oppinions. Still not sure if i can sell it, I have alot of sentimental attachments to this, but if i do.

I know were all Lexus fans in here but gimme ur oppinions, each car has very different strengths and weaknesses but they are all good in their own territory.

1.Keep my car

2.1991-1993 Acura NSX

3.1994-1997 Mercedes SL500 or 600

4.any year Toyota Supra Twin Turbo

:unsure:

hang on a sec..

have you considered the costs of running such a car?

The NSX is in my books a "Super car".. parts for these motors are so pricey that you would slap it back up for sale

same for the supra.... these babies go wrong be prepared to spend an arm and a leg

The only time I would consider a NSX is for a 2nd car that is not used every day

Ultraviolet on these boards runs an NSX... send her a PM.. she will give you some good advice.

But i just thought a IS300 >> NSX was a huuuge Step!

no where in the league of a IS300.... or supra really.. should be an in between

NSX! - Never been in a moving one, but sat in one before - luvly jubbly!

I'm told it's happy to potter about in town traffic like a Civic.

Alternatively, if you're after a Japanese super car, surely the Skyline beats them all?

NSX!  - Never been in a moving one, but sat in one before - luvly jubbly!

I'm told it's happy to potter about in town traffic like a Civic.

Alternatively, if you're after a Japanese super car, surely the Skyline beats them all?

Yes but the skyline looks like a smacked bum :yack:

Nah, I think it looks cool - I love the angular lines and those wheels! :ph34r: B)

I'd go for the Merc SL. used to have a 280SL back in 1998. Best car I have ever owned on paper. (I prefer the Lexus overall but the Merc cost three times my house payment!).

The SL is actually a usable 2+2 GT. I have brought 5 year old kids (one in the back) to and from Taunton in mine and they were fine with the passenger seat forward. Great ride roof up or down. EXCELLENT build quality. one of the few modern mercs that still feels really solid yet agile on the road. even the wheezy 2.8 V6 was powerfull enough to make it fun so the 500 will be a scream and the 600 was generally considered overkill for the far eastern markets.

If you check 'em out you'll find the best engine/chassis combo is the 300SL-24 closely followed by the SL320.

The NSX is great but closest comparitor has to be a Ferarri 348 (imagine it was reliable) and that does make it a special supercar.

The honest answer has to be, all of them are more exciting than your IS300... are you saying you want excitement?

thought about putting a V8 in your IS?? :unsure:

just a few thoughts that might help...

:zee:

:winky: Thanks for the thumbs up from those who have been in my ickle Baby .... although we of course never drove quickly :whistling:

As has already been said - depends what you want from the car - all your options are so different from each other, it really doesn't tell us what floats your boat.

For me - I wanted THE Supercar. In Japan, they love the Skyline etc - but the NSX is the only one they consider as their Supercar.

It just feels special.

I have also driven the Supra - bute power in comparison, still a great car and good fun - not as tail happy as it's weight would lead you to believe, but crude in comparison with the NSX.

The Merc - no comment .... I'm neither old enough nor fat enough! :winky:

There are lots of cars faster than the NSX - it isn't 'that' powerful really - but it has poise and really rewards the keen driver. I would like lessons to get a better handle on mine as in the hands of a good driver - I have experienced it apparently defying the laws of physics!!!

However - if you are considering an Acura one rather than Honda - I am guessing that you are at the top of your budget and getting one of the cheapest avaiable - these are VERY difficult to sell on. Obviously all Accura NSXs are left hand drive - and the insurance will be more. They are in group 20 insurance rating already ...... if you can stretch to it - a UK car makes much better sense in the long run. Also though - the running costs are not bad - but certain costs are steep. Remember that even if you are only paying £20k for one - you are buying a £60k Supercar - low volume, expensive.

Fuel costs - I get better economy from the NSX than I do my IS200 (seriously!!) .... also the last service only cost me just over £100 ..... but every 6 years (or 60k miles) you have the cambelt service which will cost you about £1,200.

Rear tyres - usually last about 5k miles (normal driving) but if you give it serious beans - you can see them off in a day (on track) or in less than 1,000 hard road miles.

The original Bridgestones are made for the NSX and since the car has larger rear wheels and the tyres are directional - that means a set of 4 tyres ..... every tyre is different! The original tyres are scrub tyres - but with shopping around, you can get a complete set for about £600.

If you need to know more about the NSX and the ownership experience - feel free to drop me a line - or pop accross to the HondaRevolutions forum.

One thing I would say - it was my dream car - I picked mine up 2nd Feb 2002 ..... and the novelty STILL has not worn off! It still feels special, it still gives me a buzz everytime I take her out of the garage.

If you dream ofowning a supercar, and you have the means and opportunity - do it! Life is not a dress rehearsal! :P

Keep the IS300 and get a 2.5TT Soarer for when you want 'fun' - worked for me! :winky:

Merc SL? Very Hollywood wives.

Supra? Chest-wig chariot.

Accura NSX? A car that beautiful but with the steering wheel on the wrong side? Scarey!

NSX gets my vote - NO hesitation ... B)

Ditto!

Lexus are superb for quality and reliability as well as technology and gadgets but Honda are unsurpassed for engines.

I would say the LS is also a supercar (used to be anything topping 150mph) but it's just too big.

NSX gets my vote - NO hesitation ...  B)

Ditto!

Lexus are superb for quality and reliability as well as technology and gadgets but Honda are unsurpassed for engines.

I would say the LS is also a supercar (used to be anything topping 150mph) but it's just too big.

but the LS is so nible for a car of its size...

It handled like my IS, you could throw it around and have fun, but then sit back and cruise in absolute luxury....

It handled like my IS, you could throw it around and have fun

You need your IS looked at then :ohmy: :P

Agreed.

The IS handling is far better. You just can't drive 2 tonnes of LS like the IS. I've tried (MkIV) and noticed the tyres took a beating. For the class of car its great. Earlier LS's had an even softer suspension and no feedback at all.

The BMW 7 is too much of a driver's car for the luxury sector.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links