Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is220D Smoking?

rattler1968

hi i have 2009 is220d 100 thousands miles on the clock, when it gets to working temperture it bellows out smoke? then stops? used no water or oil, never does it on start up and only when temp is right, it also ticks over high ? just before? no warning lights come on? its just really embarrassing in town ... with people flashing their lights? i did get a 12 month warranty from the garage i bought it from? apart from this the car drive ok? the large puff of smoke is white? with darker blue before it discharges??

hi i have 2009 is220d 100 thousands miles on the clock, when it gets to working temperture it bellows out smoke? then stops? used no water or oil, never does it on start up and only when temp is right, it also ticks over high ? just before? no warning lights come on? its just really embarrassing in town ... with people flashing their lights? i did get a 12 month warranty from the garage i bought it from? apart from this the car drive ok? the large puff of smoke is white? with darker blue before it discharges??

it doesnt happen every time it can go for a couple of days? with nothing? and to be honest it does mostly short journeys? DPF? ERG?

I would have thought an EGR malfunction would have brought up the EML but I had a similar problem with loads of white smoke and loss of power on a diesel van which turned out to be the EGR valve.

I would check this 1st as it is fairly easy to access and they generally respond well to cleaning, also if I remember correctly the EGR system doesn't kick in until the engine has warmed up which would tally with your symptoms and it could affect your idle (tickover) speed.