Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi everyone,

New to the club and big apologies if this topic has been raised before. Recently bought a lovely 05 RX300 - so very pleased with it as I had gone in to buy a BMW X5 but what a dull car that was!

Anyway it only came with one key and I need to get a replacement. Lexus are saying that they want £280 to make and program a new key (as long as the key I have is the master otherwise it's £1000 to replace the security system!)

I've rung some independant car key people and they can only supply a 'dumb' key which will open the doors manually and start the engine, for about £100. Cant see how that turns off the alarm though?

Any ideas, clues, help would be much appreciated.

Thank you and good to meet you all.

Michael

A 'dumb' key has to have an immobiliser transponder in it and be programmed to the vehicle for the engine to start. If they are able to program that part I don't see why they cannot also program the central locking/alarm.

There are procedures available to program the keys yourself, provided you have an existing master key (a black one, not a grey valet key that won't lock/unlock the glovebox).

One of these may help ? ... >>> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OBDII-OBD2-4D-Chip-16-Pins-Smart-Key-Maker-KeyMaker-Programmer-For-Toyota-Lexus-/361074019592?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5411b04d08

Loads of posts/threads on here about replacements keys etc. Suggest you do a search for these posts

I had the same problem around a couple of years ago, I contacted Car-Diac (http://www.car-diac.co.uk/mobile-locksmith.html).

'Danny', the technician, supplied, cut and programmed a new master key and supplied a second key also cut and programmed. He also laser cut a further 2 blank keys that I supplied. The total cost being £627.60 inc.vat.

It appears the Lexus lack the technical knowhow required to create a new master key programmed to the existing security system, or is it just a rip off?

BTW my vehicle is a 2003 RX300SEL.

I had the same problem around a couple of years ago, I contacted Car-Diac (http://www.car-diac.co.uk/mobile-locksmith.html).

'Danny', the technician, supplied, cut and programmed a new master key and supplied a second key also cut and programmed. He also laser cut a further 2 blank keys that I supplied. The total cost being £627.60 inc.vat.

It appears the Lexus lack the technical knowhow required to create a new master key programmed to the existing security system, or is it just a rip off?

Car-Diac ... ARREST... £627.60 ... lol

sorry but thats beyond ridiculous, I bet Danny took the rest of the week off ! .

heres what I think is the cheapest way ...

buy a (correct length & type) blank key blade & case for £2 > £5 off eBay ...

get it cut to your existing key, I would bet Timpsons would do it for about £15 ...

buy a used 3 button remote key (same part number) off eBay or a scrapyard for £20 > £30

& try programming the key ...

>>> http://www.chadspictures.com/automotive/How-To-Program-Toyota-Key-Fob/

>>> http://www.ehow.com/how_7341644_do-program-lexus-rx300-keys_.html

If that doesn't work or only partially works, buy an OBD2 KeyMaker off eBay for around £10 (& everyone likes gadgets) ...

Total cost around £50 > £60

On the Rx400 valet key, the blade edge is slightly different but it does everything the master key does (apart from the glovebox) so I would bet a master could be made from the valet key, the only difference being the blade edge ... If the Rx 300 is the same ?

Not so ridiculous as Lexus!!....col. 4 keys (inc. master and security system reprogramming) for £627 against the mainstealer price of £1000 plus £280 for further keys!!

The other advantage being that the work is undertaken in your own driveway (or on the roadside if keys are lost or damaged away from home whereby you could be immobile).

Car-Diac ... ARREST!... £627.60 ... lol

sorry but thats beyond ridiculous, I bet Danny took the rest of the week off ! .

get it cut to your existing key, I would bet Timpsons would do it for about £15 ...

buy a used 3 button remote key (same part number) off eBay or a scrapyard for £20 > £30

Try programming the key >>> http://www.chadspictures.com/automotive/How-To-Program-Toyota-Key-Fob/

If that doesn't work buy the OBD2 KeyMaker off eBay for around £10 (& everyone likes gadgets) ...

On the Rx400 valet key, the blade edge is slightly different but it does everything the master key does (apart from the glovebox) so I would think a master could be made from the valet key as long as it has the correct blade edge ...

Hi,

Anyone tried the above on your RX? We have lost one of our keys now and I am a bit nervous.

If the above work it will save tonnes of money.

Thanks.

Not so ridiculous as Lexus!!....col. 4 keys (inc. master and security system reprogramming) for £627 against the mainstealer price of £1000 plus £280 for further keys!!

The other advantage being that the work is undertaken in your own driveway (or on the roadside if keys are lost or damaged away from home whereby you could be immobile).

I absolutely agree m8 ...but both are extortionate amounts ...

If you "had the same problem" then you already had a working key ? .... which you could code from ?

you paid £627 for supply cut & program 2 keys & cut the "2 keys" you gave him ... I know its cheaper but its still expensive ... i think £450 would have been pushing it ...

I'm not 100% on this but I think if your keys were lost or badly damaged it would probably have to be ordered using the Vin plate & you would be immobile until the replacement came (from lexus?) anyway ...

The keys you "supplied" as they needed cutting I assume they were new keys ... if so may I ask where you got them, how much they were & do they have the fobs with them ? ... it's always handy to have a source,

cheers buddy ...

Car-Diac ... ARREST!... £627.60 ... lol

Try programming the key >>> http://www.chadspictures.com/automotive/How-To-Program-Toyota-Key-Fob/

If that doesn't work buy the OBD2 KeyMaker off eBay for around £10 (& everyone likes gadgets) ...

On the Rx400 valet key, the blade edge is slightly different but it does everything the master key does (apart from the glovebox) so I would think a master could be made from the valet key as long as it has the correct blade edge ...

Hi,

Anyone tried the above on your RX? We have lost one of our keys now and I am a bit nervous.

If the above work it will save tonnes of money.

Thanks.

Its been mentioned in different forum posts it works, some have had to use the OBD 2 aswell though ...

Loads of posts/threads about replacements keys etc. e.g. >>> http://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-second-generation/387207-cut-and-program-any-lexus-key-without-dealer.html

do a search aeroelastic ...

On the Rx400 valet key, the blade edge is slightly different but it does everything the master key does (apart from the glovebox) so I would bet a master could be made from the valet key, the only difference being the blade edge ... If the Rx 300 is the same ?

Possibly with the mechanical side of things but the electronics is the issue. The ECU won't allow a new key to be programmed unless it detects a master key is present. The whole point is you give the valet key to somebody who will have access to your vehicle (a valet, mechanic, tyre fitter etc) safe in the knowledge that they won't be able to program a new key.

From 2001 onwards it should be possible for a dealership to program an ECU on most vehicles without a master key. It requires tech stream software and a validation code is downloaded from Toyota. Before 2001 the engine ECU wasn't reprogrammable and it had to be replaced.

Thanks. When will you need the obd2? Will it mess up my other working key If the programming did not work out?

I would buy the obd 2 if the standard programming method didn't work or only partially, It shouldn't affect the other key (unless you erase the code for that key) have look here ... >>> http://www.clublexus.com/forums/hybrid-technology/517726-toyota-lexus-smart-keymaker.html

Possibly with the mechanical side of things but the electronics is the issue. The ECU won't allow a new key to be programmed unless it detects a master key is present. The whole point is you give the valet key to somebody who will have access to your vehicle (a valet, mechanic, tyre fitter etc) safe in the knowledge that they won't be able to program a new key.

From 2001 onwards it should be possible for a dealership to program an ECU on most vehicles without a master key. It requires tech stream software and a validation code is downloaded from Toyota. Before 2001 the engine ECU wasn't reprogrammable and it had to be replaced.

Cheers Colin,

I thought the valet key was just blocked from the lock on the glovebox, boot etc by the different keyblade ...

I assume then it must be a different program code type for the valet or is it a different transponder ?

I have seen youtube video's of Toyota etc valet key's turned into master's but this may have been done using a master or programmer to re-code the valet key ? ...

I've not really delved into Ecu or key programming but have programmed all sorts of other stuff ...

is this the Techstream software m8 ? ... Looks good ...>>>

I don't know if the transponder is different, within the engine ECU a transponder serial number either gets marked as a master or a valet. A key unknown to the vehicle is essentially neither a master or a valet, it is a foreign key.

To alter any configuration (add or delete a key) you must first have a known master key for the programming functions to work. Not just any key, but a key registered as a master within the ECU database.

One of the programming functions is to delete all keys and re-add the ones you have. This is a good thing to do, it means key that are not in your possession will no longer work.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi all

I have just bought a 2002 RX300 today that only came with 1 key

I was hoping that someone here could help me save a bit of money but looks like I may be able to help you more

I had to replace the key for my 98 LS400 a couple of years ago and had a few options

I had the old key but the plastic casing had broken so I got a new casing here- Item number 130532186063

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130532186063?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

With this, you need to swap the innards from your original key and maybe get the Blank cut - I could reuse the Metal key part as well

I found however that the shell was slightly defective and required some packing on the Open Door button to work - but very cheap - howeverf, it has foibles and my wife complains that when she opens the door, all the windows drop a few inches so looks like this is a last resort OR a spare ONLY key rather than a 2nd option key

Option 2

As someone says, you can get a cut pattern key with Chipped Fob BUT This is a Manual key - good for Backup and reasonably cheap

Option 3 which I also did and what I am looking for now for the RX

TIMPSONS will sell and program a key to your car (LS400 anyway and would assume RX will be the same)

The total cost is £180 complete for key+Cutting+Programming (Which took 3 hours of messing around - I think I have a copy of the code process which I will post if I can dig it out)

However, NOT all Timpsons will be able to do this - I happen to live not far from Henley On Thames where the manager had done a course and put a massive amount of personal effort into sorting this out for me

In the end, I got the Cheap eBay option key, the Manual Key and the Final LEXUS key all for £180 as they took 2 weeks to complete due to various issues but they persevered and I am happy

I will therefore try Timpsons of Henley for a 2nd RX300 key as the price compared to what others have been charged seems pretty reasonable

Hope this is of some help

BR

JIm

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links