Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tyre Wear

I have just had a 10000 mile service and was a little surprised to hear that I was down to 4mm. With wear on the outer and inner edges.. I have factory fitted Bridgestones. Has anyone else got this problem and what would be the best tyre brand to replace with when needed? I have heard that Bridgestones are notorious for low mileage.

Wowee that's quite some wear there! Mine were down to 4mm when I hit 20k and my car is also heavier!

Just had a quick look for you - If you want decent matching tyres - Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 should do it or perhaps the Hankook Ventus S1 Evo 2 K117.

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 has been very highly rated!

That is a bit of a generalisation as Bridgestone have dozens of different models, each with their pros/cons. Having said that the stock ones fitted to the IS F Sport aren't very good at anything, other than probably being cheap for Lexus to purchase in bulk.

Dunlop Sport Maxx RT seem like a good all rounder, better on noise and economy compared to the OEMs but I've heard their weakness is wear.

What pressure do run, sounds like they are a little soft to be wearing on both sides?

I guess it depends what you are use to driving. Normally the lower the profile of tyre the quicker they will wear, one because only the soft performance tyres are available in those sizes and two you tend to carry more speed into corners and so generate more wear.

Tyre leader rate them well. I don't do fast round corners but in the north east we have loads of round a bouts I meant to say worn on the inside not both.

STATISTICS OF THE GOODYEAR EAGLE F1 ASYMMETRIIC 2 are excellent on their website

Tyre leader rate them well. I don't do fast round corners but in the north east we have loads of round a bouts

STATISTICS OF THE GOODYEAR EAGLE F1 ASYMMETRIIC 2 are excellent on their website

Yes they are very good. TBF you could get the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx RT as well. They seem pretty good too but I think only oponeo are doing those tyres in both front and rear sizes. You could always get 2 from one place and the other 2 from somewhere else if they've worn differently.

I also read that there was an issue with tracking causing excess wear and Lexus won't admit there is a problem with tracking settings or does this refer to older models?

That was with the series I IS. The current IS is too new to know if the standard settings are optimal or not.

Just check my treads today what they said was front 4/4/4 and 4/4/4 they are 4mm on the extreme edge but when I checked over th 3/4 of tread they are both 6/6/6, same with the rear both 6/6/6 so there would be a little bet of poetic licence there. Got coughs like that before with a main dealer who phoned and said my front tyres are in urgent need of replacement and said change them. It turned out when I ask for the old ones back and took them to Kwik fit that they still had a legal 4mm on them. So in future I will monitor them myself. I will definitely get the Goodyears next time though.

At 17800m (=11000miles) my OEM Bridgestone Turanzas were showing an acceptable 6mm+

tread all-round when I recently changed to Winters. While I therefore have no complaints about

their durability so far, and am particularly impressed by the effectiveness of the rim protectors,

which have saved me in many dodgy high-kerb situations, their noise level has more noticeably

increased with wear than in the case of any other tyres I have ever had, including other Bridge-

stones.

Looking ahead to when I shall be changing them, probably sometime next Summer, the

Eagle Asymmetrics sound like a good choice, but I have also heard nothing but praise for

Vredestein Ultrac Vorti's. All I personally know about the brand is that their products are

aesthetically pleasing. Does anyone know if their good looks are matched by performance?

At 17800m (=11000miles) my OEM Bridgestone Turanzas were showing an acceptable 6mm+

tread all-round when I recently changed to Winters. While I therefore have no complaints about

their durability so far, and am particularly impressed by the effectiveness of the rim protectors,

which have saved me in many dodgy high-kerb situations, their noise level has more noticeably

increased with wear than in the case of any other tyres I have ever had, including other Bridge-

stones.

Looking ahead to when I shall be changing them, probably sometime next Summer, the

Eagle Asymmetrics sound like a good choice, but I have also heard nothing but praise for

Vredestein Ultrac Vorti's. All I personally know about the brand is that their products are

aesthetically pleasing. Does anyone know if their good looks are matched by performance?

Cant comment, never used them before. Its not a brand that gets used here often

I run Vredestein Ultrac on my BMW 335i on the rears (275/30/R19s).

I have no complaints about them, just as much grip as Michelin Pilot sports RFTs, plenty of grip in the wet, decent wear rate and when it does let go, very progressive, so you have plenty of time to correct.

Infact even though mine are now down to 3mm, they still feel very safe in the wet, much more so than Bridgestone RE040s did on my old Nissan 350Z at similar tread levels. I'll be going for the same brand again in the summer, the fact they look different is another selling point :)

8489470728_2908256105.jpg