Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ipod Options For Gs300 1999 With Factory Satnav

Hello Lexus Forum,

I have just purchased a 1999 GS300 with the factory navigation and CD changer in the boot.

Loving the car and was thinking it was a good find, but I'm having real trouble finding any ipod integration solutions for it.

Before purchasing it looked like the XCARLINK was compatible, but upon fitting noticed that the plugs were different and neither the type 1 or type 2 that they said covers all Lexus, so I need to send that unit back.

The GROM website also doesn't seem to list this year of GS300 as compatible with any of their kits.

The model numbers for the unit are

KEX-M8376ZT seems to be the pioneer nax unit

and then the Toyota models numbers are 86111-30180 and 86120-3A601

Images of the front and back of the unit are attached in the PDF.

Any ideas what kit would fit with this to let me stream and call from ipod as so far this year and model seems to be stuck in a no-mans land.

Ideally I'd like something that piggybacks or replaces the CD changer in the glove box.

Lexus GS300 1999 Satnav unit.pdf

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the reply, but they start at 2001. I think it is the unit with the buttons just down one side of the screen.

Mine is a 1999 model and has buttons down both sides and so far I can't find any kit that works with that model.

I think you will be out of luck. By the time the iPod was popular all of the Lexus vehicles had moved to DVD nav systems so even the early VAIS Tech SLI only works with them and doesn't appear to be backwards compatible with the CD based systems (which have different pinouts on the display unit).

Even if you did find one that works they only do so by using playlists to represent a CD so the control and navigation of tracks is a bit clunky to say the least.

You could also try Beat-sonic.

It may be possible to adapt one of the later harnesses and they are very helpful with wiring diagrams and instructions. They also make bespoke harnesses but don't always advertise them.

Thanks Neil.

I've emailed Beat-sonic to see what they can do.

I've also spoken to a couple of fitters about some options with built in amps like the "IO Play2" and a similar product from Parrot.

They both seem to think they would work in the car and Halfords have quoted £119 +£29 fitting for the Play2 so I'm going to give that a go.

I'm half expecting them to pull the unit out and say they can't do it, but at least there would be no further cost in finding out.

Has anyone tried the IO Play2 ? Seems to be quite good and has its own 180w amp built in and users the cars existing speakers.

www.my-io.com

It should work if it is just using the car speakers. You need a good fitter though. The GS has its own amp so they need to find the correct wires to use, after the existing amp. They also need to make sure they allow the Sat Nav to still take ownership of the driver door speaker for voice guidance ( which may be tricky because I think that occurs at line level before the in-built amp).