Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sc430 Strut Brace

NEILJ

Just trawling through eBay at sc430 cars and parts and noticed a strut brace advertised.

Looks a nice job. I know with the roof down its a bit flobby and wondered if this would sharpen things up a bit.

Has anyone ever tried one I wonder and if so what is your opinion, any good or what.

regards

Neilj

I don't think the 430SC is meant to be a sports car. More along distance cruiser.. With the top down there are other problems other than being 'floppy' as in most open tops. I don't think its that bad considering its size. I have noticed a few kits for anti roll stiffness with good reports. But I prefer the car as it is. To me it has the right balance between 'ride' and 'handling' with the emphasis on 'ride'. The Japanese though enough about this and the Mk2 is certainly a good balance. I have driven a number of convertibles (owned by my son) BMW Z4 (bumpy and bone shaking) a Honda S2000 (even worse than the Z4) and a Porsche Boxter (not bad but not as comfortable as the 430SC).

Unless you take the car to a race track I wouldn't mess with it.

Worth looking at the US forums as a lot more SCs were sold over there and are modded more frequently too. Personally I never liked the SC flex, it is built on the series II GS chassis which itself isn't rigid even with a fixed roof. There are plenty of strut and chassis brace options available.

I have one and noticed a difference. The strut brace will help particularly when the roof is down or if you have wider wheels.

To tighten up the ride but still have some flexibility in controlling the right balance for your needs, fit a set of adjustable coil-overs.

post-21030-0-28899900-1417906972_thumb.j

That's what they do in the US the SC is now a very popular car for modifications and there are lots of parts available to play with. They seem to take modification to an art form... Usually get spares even by mail much cheaper from the states too. The only one I was interested in was the clear reflectors (instead of orange) but they came out at about $400 a pair !!!! Unbelievable for 2 bits of plastic.

Neil E

Your strut brace looks identical to the one I saw and I think it cost about 95 pounds. I appreciate all the other comments regards how the car is designed for cruising and not handling but have to agree with you that with the roof down there is a noticeable difference and just wondered like you must have if the braces are worth it. One to consider but have just had the Battery drain woes again so will be looking into that one first.

Neilj

Yes you are correct Neil the strut brace is identical to the one on eBay it was made in the UK by the same people at the same time.

The SC430 can be left alone and used as a cruiser or it can be driven in a 'spirited' manner or it can be tweaked to suit your purpose. It's a lovely well appointed 'sports coupe' to get 2 people from A to B with the roof up or down but I also think it's valid to follow the lead set by it's makers and turn it into something more of a drivers car if that's your inclination. The SC has been a very successful racing car. As explained earlier by Colin the chassis and suspension is based on the GS. The GS430 and twin turbo Aristo were considered thunder-saloons in their day so that's a taste of the heritage.

Battery woes....

A good auto electrician should be able to diagnose the fault if one exists but every Toyota Lexus I've owned (8 so far) has drained its Battery over time. The SC is more vulnerable than most as it has quite a small standard Battery and people often leave them for weeks because they have another car as a daily driver. If I'm going away for 3 weeks or more without the SC I usually lock it up in the garage, disconnect the Battery negative lead and reconnect it when I return, 20 seconds and you're done. It takes a matter of minutes to reset everything. I appreciate that's not a good idea from an insurance/security point of view but if your Battery is completely discharged then your alarm isn't any good either. When I bought the SC in June it had the standard Halfords replacement unit and would discharge within a week. I now have the biggest Exide Battery I could fit in the tray and I know it will last for at least 3 weeks.

If you put a multi-meter across the Battery when everything is turned off you should be able to see if there is any significant voltage drop. If there is no obvious voltage drain by something like an interior light being left on or the alarm being activated without you knowing, then it's probably time for a new Battery.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for posting inf about the strut brace.TBH I never looked for one as I assumed nothing like that would be available this side of the pond for this car.

Just found it on eBay and am going to order one.Hope it comes with some good fitting instructions.

Fitting is easy and takes 10 minutes tops.

Simply lift off the plastic strut covers, undo 3 nuts each side, place the brace over the studs and secure with the 3 nuts on each side.

(The plastic cosmetic covers won't go back on) If you are near to Gloucester, I'm sure the seller would fit it free.

Agree you cant tell by voltage drop you have to see the standard current draw. Voltage drop is not indicative of a constant load situation unless its very precise and in the situation you outline with a brand new Battery your car is drawing too much current. My bet is the standard you have a hidden tracker. If not your Battery should last at least 5 or 6 weeks. No manufacturer would design it for less.

thanks Neil.Not near Gloucester (Berkshire) but sounds within my capability.

Peter,during the winter I rotate 3 good/big batteries round my 2 cars and recharge the spare to make sure I've always got a good Battery in both cars.

Whichever Battery I put in the Lexus the most it will last is a week without use and then its touch and go whether its got enough juice left to start.

I will have to get this sorted professionally as its out of my league and its one of the 2 negative aspects of this car that really annoy me.

The other is the run flat tyres and lack of a spare wheel. I think I have solved the 'spare' and will post this separately if my idea works.

Swapping the run-flat tyres for proper rubber transforms the car.

The later models have a tyre repair kit or it's possible to fit a small space saver wheel if preferred.

jeffreyt.......... My car is 2005 Mk2 (6) with 70000 miles on the clock and its got the original Lexus Battery. That still lasts over 2 weeks and charges and holds its charge.. I agree its a point that really detracts from the 430SC as long term car. But I am convinced its not designed to do this and that its not a Battery issue.

Trackers are very common on cars of this price when new.. I have heard of a number of Battery drain issues being down to this. Finding them is obviously difficult. Bit you could start by looking behind the back plastic bumper where the rear parking sensors are. that's usually the place for any tracker ariel and it will probably be held in place with tie grips.

Well chaps if I may rejoin your discussion.

The strut brace is something I will consider in the new year when we are back to some top down driving. If it sharpens up the driving feel ie not as wobbly then will seriously consider. As for the Battery woes well I ran the car up on Monday last only a couple of days ago and all was well I then did a bit of work on the gear shift panel, see new topic, and never thought to switch off the interior light went to put it all back together and hey no alarm light flashing, flat Battery again. Put it on charge whilst I re assembled my resprayed panel and all is well again all working. Well did have one heart in mouth moment when the radio panel didn't work but after taking it apart and checking everything including a quick wiggle of the switch cable all is working thankfully. Next job when it gets a bit warmer is to look for this tracker and get the Battery checked out.

Neilj

Neil' the fact that the Battery died in the short space of time that you had the courtesy light on is telling you something about the capacity of the Battery. Before you go looking for the remains of a tracker, if you really think there is an open circuit, why not take Colin's sound advice and try to identify it by pulling the fuses one by one whilst reading the voltage drop on the Battery?

One other point (and please shoot me if I'm teaching you to suck eggs) when disconnecting and reconnecting electrical components, it's good practice to disconnect the negative lead on the Battery.

Neil E

Thanks for your comment about Battery disconnection. I have read before it is advisable to disconnect the Battery but being that everything was dead with no key in the ignition I thought it would be OK.

Will take note in future though just to be safe even if it means resetting everything afterwards.

Thanks also for your comment about the resprayed gearshift panel.

Neilj

No worries. To be honest there's little risk in and around the gear selector area but as some circuits are permanently live there is always the possibility of shorting something out particularly when removing parts for the first time without knowing what else may have been done before. e.g. fixes or additions done by previous owners.

With regard to the power drain, I will take some readings from mine and let you know how much it loses.

• 1 month later...

Hi Jeffrey PM sent.

On the subject of Battery drain, I left my SC for 17 days whilst on holiday, 'garaged' but in cold conditions. On returning to the car, I unlocked it, closed the doors, left it for a few minutes for the voltage to settle and then measured it at a disappointingly low 11.71 volts. The Battery is only a few months old and was fully charged when I left the car.

The engine turned over quickly without any hint that the Battery had drained significantly and it started up just as it always does. I don't have a tracker or anything else fitted to it that I would expect to cause any additional drain. It's not the best scientific test but lots of experience with Lexus suggests it is similar to every other Lexus I've owned.