Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Engine Rattle

THE GURNS

I recently had a new castor arm fitted and while it was in the garage I thought I might as well have the engine oil and filter done,we didn't use the car for over a week and when I started it I had the rattle of doom from the bottom end,I'm guessing the garage fitted a cheap oil filter with no return valve? if you use the car daily then we don't get the rattle,it seems that all the oil is returning to the sump and taking a while to circulate? GS300 1997 by the way.

Maybe it is only the VVTi variant of the engine but I thought the filter pointed somewhat downwards so the oil couldn't run out. If it doesn't have a Toyota filter on it I'd get it replaced. Also do you know what grade of oil was used? Maybe it is too thin.

It's exactly what you said in your first post.

Non OEM filters don't have the return valve. Therefore on cold starts you may hear lifter chatter and the red oil pressure light may stay on for 3-5 seconds as the oil circulates. I've experimented with this on mine. Same engine as you, IS300, 2JZ-GE. With OEM filter, no chatter, no red oil light. Non OEM filter, 2-5 seconds of chatter and oil pressure light on start up