Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My 2001 LS 430 has, on 4 different occasions, refused to start. It was sent to the dealer and started while there. It was jumped started to move it and then continued to start. When it won't start the electricals are completely gone. That is, even the instrament panel does not light up. So far the car has had the problem at home, but it is just a matter of time until somebody gets stranded.

The dealer says the Battery goes dead. Right. The question is why. The Battery was replaced and the car still had the same problem. Dealer in Mentor, Ohio seems less than interested to fix it. I am tired of the car and dealer. Anyone witha suggestion?

The obvious (can't give better advice without seeing it) is to see if the alternator is charging the Battery. There should be about 14V.

Alternatively!! If it's always flat at home it could be that there's something draining the Battery when the car's left standing. You need someone with a circuit diagram to check.

Did you check if you left some lights on? Like the glove box or some other mods/accesoiries. These lights do not use a lot of power, but if your Battery is almost empty, it may still drain it.

Did you install any aftermarket parts, e.g. alarm, ... Probably it was not installed properly.

How often do you drive your car? If you only make short trips, your Battery may not get the chance to charge completely.

I would by a Battery checker, that can be plugged into your car lighter, such that you can monitor the Battery status.

In addition, to give yourself some more peace of mind, you can buy some emergency Battery charger(some can be only used once), the current ones are very small, and not too expensive.

Start monitoring your Battery for a few weeks, and if the Battery is deteriorating go back to the dealer or find another dealer.

Remember you have the top Lexus and you should demand top service. :angry:

I own a 2002 LS 430. On two occasions my car was dead in my garage upon startup. Once, maybe it was my fault. Twice, no way. So I mentioned it to the dealer. They knew right away what was happening. I do not put alot of miles on the car. Sometimes, I might not start it for two days. Their explanation was that the alternator was a high end/output (I don't really know their terminology) unit and cars that don't get used every day are subject to this problem. They have been replacing batteries for similar situations still under warranty. Like that's supposed to make me feel better! At least I knew it was through no fault of my own. So, make the dealer aware of your situation and notate it now, and go from there. They are aware that it is a defect.

Their explanation was that the alternator was a high end/output (I don't really know their terminology) unit and cars that don't get used every day are subject to this problem. They have been replacing batteries for similar situations still under warranty.

Sorry this doesn't even begin to make sense.

When the engine isn't running, the alternator isn't doing anything. There's no way they should be draining the Battery.

I don't use mine very frequently. I don't have this problem at all.

Yes, we left the LS at Heathrow for 20 days and when We returned it had a flat Battery. Once started it was fine and has been since, but there was no satisfactory explanation as to why a very expensive car should not beable to start after near three weeks. My old Maxi would stand for 3-4 months outside and still fire up on the 1st or second turn over...

I think is one for Nancy Drew and the Hardy boys.

I had the same recurring problem with my 98 LS400. Had a new Battery fitted and still the same problem. It seems that something can drain the Battery but no one seems to know what it is. There are however 2 batteries that fit the LS one being much high capacity than the other. Changed to bigger Battery and since then no problems.

I just recently purchased a 2001 Lexus ls 430 and have had the same problem. About two months ago the car did not start. Battery totally drained. Had the dealership tow the car and they kept it for 4 days. They said they could not find anything wrong with it. Three weeks later (today) same thing happened. Battery totally dead.

With respect to some of the other replies, I have a 1995 s class benz and have left interior lights on and other things on all night and the car started fine the next day. Also, I have not driven it for three weeks and the car started fine. There is something wrong with some of the ls 430 models. If anyone knows, please let us know.

• 2 weeks later...

My 2001 LS430 AND my 2002 SC430 would ocassionally not start after filling up with gas or after I would move the car a short distance when negotiating a parking spot. I finally figured out that I could solve the problem by removing the key from the ignition and immediately reinserting it. Apparently by doing this it resets the starting sequence (chip controlled) andf solves this problem. I encountered this problem in both the LS and the SC. I was told (by a member of this forum) this can be caused by not tightening the gas cap properly (safety feature). This makes sense since I often use Full Service gas stations.

I know this does not fit the "dead battery" profile of your original post but it does fit the "wont start" issue. I often do not use the Lexuses for a few weeks or so and I do find the Battery dead more often than not...I assumed from the draw of security systems.

Will see if the 04 has the same quirks....has arrived at dealer but have not picked it up yet.

My 2001 LS430 AND my 2002 SC430 would ocassionally not start after filling up with gas or after I would move the car a short distance

Moving short distances and stopping can be a priblem not just on a Lexus. The RAC say that one of their commonest call outs is to people who have taken their cars out of the garage to clean and then can not restart to put away again. The reason is modern cold start systems - essentially if you shut off too soon there's loads of unburnt fuel left in the engine and essentially it is floaded - leave the car half an hour or so and they're usually OK.

The other common problem is trying to restart very shortly after a long run with a hot engine. Less of a problem on todays cars but earlier fuel injection cars used to suffer from vapourisation in the fuel lines and hence an 'air' lock.

• 3 weeks later...

In my first post I stated that my 2001 LS 430 will sometimes not start. I have disconnected anything that could even remotely drain a Battery. Some times, nothing happens when I turn the key the first time, but it will start on the second or third try. The starter motor does not grind when the car doesn't start, nothing happens at all-silence. The dealer even drove the car for a week and could not find anything wrong. He has had it FOUR blank blank times. Recently, I bought a Battery tester and the Battery tests "Good". However, ocassionly it still takes two or three tries with the key to get it to start. My wife is afraid to take it out very far for fear of getting stranded. It is an electrical glitch somewhere.

I see that a few others have had a similar problem. Has anyone found a solution. Does anyone know of a factory notice or any other solution?

Tiredofproblems

this sounds like the starter immobiliser coming in. there's a switch in the drivers door lock that seems to be linked to the starter immobiliser. i've had probs with mine and found that sticking the key into the drivers door lock and giving it a couple of 'unlock' clicks, causes the switch to work and the starter to run. if it was a Battery prob, it almost certainly wouldn't start on a subsequent attempt.

this sounds like the starter immobiliser coming in.

Actually, there is a security feature when the Battery is disconnected (at least on my MkIV). You have to turn the ignition on and leave for a period then switch off and start as per normal.

There is a sticker on the bonnet close to the Battery that tells you about it and also a section in the manual (I think).

Could it be that it detects a low Battery as disconnected?

This would make it a Microsoft-like feature rather than a bug.

I have an LS400 '94. Left it @ Heathrow for a month with the alarm active, and I did not have any issues with the car at all ! Started first time without any issues. My technical diagnosis and heavily developed experience in vehicle electronics indicates to me that there may be an electronic fault somewhere :driving:

• 3 weeks later...

I posted the original message that my LS 430 would intermittantly refuse to start. It was sent to the dealer FOUR times, over a period of about a year, without a solution. I finally sent it to my local mechanic who took one look at it and said that it was the starter motor. He sent it to the dealer, who replaced the starter motor and the problem seems to be solved. Why couldn't Classice Lexus in Mentor, Ohio fix the problem on the first visit? It also took several visits to fix the heater fan motor and the noisy steering column. Who said that Lexus cars and service was the best? I used to.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links