Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

High Audio Volume Upon Ignition

Irrespective of the source - iPod, Bluetooth or Memory Stick - I have noticed that when music

has been playing at any normal volume setting (which for me is 40-50 depending on music type,

road noise etc.), and the device is not switched off or disconnected at trip's end, the volume can

be so startlingly loud as to require turning down the next time the car is started and the audio

automatically returns at the setting in which it was left.

Does anyone know if this has something to do with the "Auto Volume System" specific to the

Mark Levinson or some other ambient-sensitive volume control feature not mentioned in the

owner handbook?

I don't know about the undocumented ambient-sensitive volume but the documented feature would work in the opposite direction - i.e. the volume increases with the vehicle noise and would effectively be off when stationary. If you don't have that feature turned on (Automatic sound leveliser) you should probably try it as it would stop you having to put the volume up so high when driving.

If that doesn't fix it then it just sounds like you get use to the excessive volume whilst driving and then it appears too loud once you return.

I don't know about the undocumented ambient-sensitive volume but the documented feature would work in the opposite direction - i.e. the volume increases with the vehicle noise and would effectively be off when stationary. If you don't have that feature turned on (Automatic sound leveliser) you should probably try it as it would stop you having to put the volume up so high when driving.

If that doesn't fix it then it just sounds like you get use to the excessive volume whilst driving and then it appears too loud once you return.

You are almost certainly right. I just had a look in the car and saw that the ASL was switched off, I don't know why but

probably because I fiddled around with the audio controls out of boredom and to no good purpose when waiting for my

wife in a car-park somewhere. I'll see what happens when I use the car tomorrow. Thanks.

You are almost certainly right. I just had a look in the car and saw that the ASL was switched off, I don't know why but

probably because I fiddled around with the audio controls out of boredom and to no good purpose when waiting for my

wife in a car-park somewhere. I'll see what happens when I use the car tomorrow. Thanks.

Easy fix - turn the audio off before switching the car off. That's what I do with every car Ive owned!

Easy fix - turn the audio off before switching the car off. That's what I do with every car Ive owned!

Right. But even small things like that require the sort of self-discipline I haven't got.

Right. But even small things like that require the sort of self-discipline I haven't got.

How do you manage to put the parking brake on then? :D

How do you manage to put the parking brake on then? :D

As a matter of fact I make the effort only when parking on the edge of a cliff or halfway up an Alp.

It does seems quite common that people don't use the parking brake very often on an auto or hybrid. The main problem is without use it seizes up, more of an issue in a couple of years when an MOT is due.

That is sound advice, one really should use it more.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links