Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Discs And Pads Question

IS200D

Hi everyone, just had all my discs and pads (lexus parts) replaced by retailers own mechanics. As I knew already, and as as advised by the retailers, I took it easy on them to allow them to bed in.

However, on the way home I had an idiot pull out right in front of me, giving me no option other than to to brake sharply. Unfortunately, it was like I had no brakes and luckily managed to swerve around the car.

Up to and since then, the car is braking fine, in fact far better than before - so what caused the total lack of braking? Is it because they hadn't 'bedded in' properly, or is it something to do with the abs?

Any advise would be much appreciated before I contact the retailer.

Many thanks in advance.

either the pistons/pads weren't fully in their correct position on one or more of the brakes or you have air in the system. Try pressing hard on the brake pedal a few times when stationary with the engine running to make sure the pedal is nice and firm.

I don't think it was an abs issue, you would have felt the pedal vibrate if it engaged.

More than likely the garage did not clean the discs before fitting or had a bit of oil on them that was not cleaned after fitting.

The discs come with a light oil film on them that stops them from rusting while on the shelf after manufacture its that that's probably not been cleaned off properly. Its not long lasting - with a few uses of the brakes it will clean off.

Many thanks for your quick response Colin.

I think you are probably right about it being something like the brakes settling in. When I drove it this morning it was like nothing was wrong with the brakes, with it being extremely responsive. I'll give the pedal a few pumps while stationary just to sure though.

More than likely the garage did not clean the discs before fitting or had a bit of oil on them that was not cleaned after fitting.

The discs come with a light oil film on them that stops them from rusting while on the shelf after manufacture its that that's probably not been cleaned off properly. Its not long lasting - with a few uses of the brakes it will clean off.

Thanks is200, interesting point - thats one of the downsides to letting non lexus mechanics working on your car I guess. Mind you I'm curious about how the '2 hour test drive' didnt pick up something like this - my dash cam shows it coming off the ramp at 3pm(it cut out just after they realised it was on) but I didnt get the keys till 5pm!

• 3 weeks later...

The cleaning of the disc to remove the oil before fitting should have nothing to do with them being fitted by a non Lexus mechanic.

All levels of mechanics should know this on all makes of car. Even I know to do this before I replace my brakes and I'm a chef! lol

Yes, it really is amazing how something so simple yet potentially dangerous could be overlooked. It'll be interesting to hear what the dealer says when I get back from sunny Spain! I now know I should have insisted only Lexus touches it like I did with the water pump!!

I haven't used Lexus since the timing belt change on my old 200. It's prob the only job I'd go to Lexus for now.

You need to find yourself a competent local mechanic/garage. I promise you they exist. I've got a great one and he also drives an IS300 same as me so I guess I'm pretty lucky.

Enjoy the test of your time in Spain :)

• 2 weeks later...

I actually don't mind using Lexus, although I've yet to experience the customer service others (pariculary lexus themselves) rave about.

You're right about finding a decent mechanic, I just need to find one. You can have a well appointed garage, with all the right equipment and latest technology, but if the individual operating it is an imbecile its all pointless - hence me walking out of three halford autocentres and ending up at Lexus!

As for Spain, it was very enjoyable! Cheers!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links