Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Low 1st gear

DaveEllen

Doing most of my driving in the 24hr traffic jam that is London I'm getting fed up with the low 1st gear on my car.

Wherever possible I keep it rolling so I can pull of in 2nd.

Do any of you use 2nd to start on the flat ? if so any problem with the clutch?

No I dont want an auto !!!

99 IS200SE satnav dodgy Battery

I've moved off in traffic a couple of times in 2nd but not actually from a dead stop,but very close to

Mine didn't seem to find it difficult because the engine has loads of torque

First gear isn't long enough...... we run out of revs far too early (Give me 7,500 at least pleeeease) and the 6th gear is far too short - in 6th gear at 70mph, I want the revs to be down at about 2k rpm - isn't 6th gear supposed to aid economy???? Give it a chance!

The gear box is lovely - but the gearing sucks - can tell it is the first and only Lexus manual box!:rolleyes:

1st to 2nd is a bit stiff but on the odd occaision when some prat needs to be dispatched at traffic lights the change is wonderfull !!!!! :D

2nd to 3rd always (fast/slow) change seems to click in but no problems going down the box.

I sometimes get quite solid resistance when going up from second to third gear. It's hard to explain, but it does feel that something is in the way - release pressure and try again and it slots in smoothly. It's as if the resistance is designed to be there, as it doesn't feel like a foreign object floating about in the box. Weird. Anyone else experienced this?

I had that clonk from second to third before 5k miles. It was like some foreign object. Really gave a very short sharp kick in the hand. Now it's gone.

Yes, 1st gear is so short, always hit the limiter when I have to dispatch another car. 6th is short too I agree, but I have a feeling that that is how the car gets to 135mph, which is better than almost all in class. Besides, I don't think economy would have been much better from the straight-six. HAve to be said though, the gearbox feel is SOO good. Wish it's still as tight as new.

Here we go again with the gearbox thing.......there is a thread about the gearbox problem. To cut a v long story short there are cars within a chassis range which have a problem with the synchro rings. It is covered by warranty...mine has just come out of the garage as they did a gearbox strip & changed the parts for 'updated one's'. In the thread a member says that he had his whole gearbox replaced......I tried my hardest to get a replacement box but there was no way i was getting it..& believe me I tried!!! The prob first starts going from first to second...it's like it wont engage sometimes....then it starts happening from 2nd to 3rd. Mine started just after 4k on the clock & lexus do actually deny a fault until you press hard enough about it!! I was told for 9 months 'dont worry about it..it's charachteristic of the car!' I found this site read up on the problem & went back absolutley fuming:flaming: it was then they said that they would fix it under warranty. When they opened my box they found damage to bearings because of this so they had to have my car even longer!!!! I believe IS200's from late 2001 onwards have a redesigned box. Mine is a may 2001 sport. Good job I cut the story short eh?:lol:

The best way I can describe my 'fault', is that it feels like smooth chrome - strange, I know, but that's the only way I can describe it!:( I'll keep my eyes open for the thread, and keep a closer eye on the gearbox!!

My car is a 2002 model....... get the 'clonk' but not often, and not bad - certainly never stops me slipping it in - just feel a slight knock in the hand.

I doubt it is even worth mentioning come first service - though the fact my remote boot opening doesn't work (from the fob) is worth mentioning!! :(