Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Oh Dear.. 9 Days Old And Already In For Repair

Driving home today... Horrific noise from the rear of the car... Had no idea what it was.. but sods law every time I turned the radio down to listen more closely.. The noise stopped.

Got home and got out of the car for a better listen... Something has gone wrong in the boot.. Vibration from the radio is causing an God awful noise (and its not my choice of music)

Managed to get a recording on my phone in case it suddenly stops.

Car booked in next Wed for them to look at it.. I think the bass unit is in the tail door?? Sounds like certain frequencies are the problem.

http://youtu.be/U-F9I5_8Z_o

Driving home today... Horrific noise from the rear of the car... Had no idea what it was.. but sods law every time I turned the radio down to listen more closely.. The noise stopped.

Got home and got out of the car for a better listen... Something has gone wrong in the boot.. Vibration from the radio is causing an God awful noise (and its not my choice of music)

Car booked in next Wed for them to look at it.. I think the bass unit is in the tail door?? Sounds like certain frequencies are the problem.

WOW that is some nasty stuff. They'll definitely sort it out or atleast find out the cause - its to be expected being the first year of the NX.

WOW that is some nasty stuff. They'll definitely sort it out or atleast find out the cause - its to be expected being the first year of the NX.

After who knows how many billions in investment, and the legendary Lexus build quality; I would refute that statement. I would not expect any problems in the first year of the NX.

That said, I accept problems do occur. I have a moto; its not about the problem; its about how you *deal* with the problem.

Sounds like the number plate is rattling. It needs to be put on with double sided tape instead of screws.

There could be something in that. The plate was plated with plates provided by my company car leasing company. I just "flicked" the plate this morning - it sounds awfully familiar.

Strangely, despite the noise happening with Maroon 5's "Moves like Jagger", the noise did not occur this morning when Sammy Davies Jr was singing "Talk to the Animals".

After who knows how many billions in investment, and the legendary Lexus build quality; I would refute that statement. I would not expect any problems in the first year of the NX.

That said, I accept problems do occur. I have a moto; its not about the problem; its about how you *deal* with the problem.

Sounds like the number plate is rattling. It needs to be put on with double sided tape instead of screws.

There could be something in that. The plate was plated with plates provided by my company car leasing company. I just "flicked" the plate this morning - it sounds awfully familiar.

Strangely, despite the noise happening with Maroon 5's "Moves like Jagger", the noise did not occur this morning when Sammy Davies Jr was singing "Talk to the Animals".

Lexus have had first year problems with all their vehicles if I recall correctly - RX400h had a recall, GS is having a recall, IS has software issues and suspension leaks etc

Am I right in thinking the NX has a subwoofer in the actual boot lid? If so it could be the numberplate. Put "move like jagger" on again and take the number plate off - see if it helps. Its probably the bass in the song causing a vibration in the lid.

Now I know why my Lexus has medical grade tape where the screws are behind the number plate!! :P Foolishly, I took it off which may be why Ive heard a noise going over bumps coming from outside when the windows are open?

It's a typical plastic over metal noise which car audio people are familiar with. Just to test, you should be able to stop it by placing your hand on the number plate when it is rattling.

Certain bass frequencies cause panel resonance at higher volumes. The number plate constantly looses contact with the metal when it vibrates and hence the noise.

So playing around today confirms it's the number plate resonating when the radio outputs at certain frequencies.

Plate screws are nice and night (maybe that's the problem... Too tight??)

Not sure what Lexus can do... But we'll find out Wednesday.

Id be interested if anyone else has this problem.

Easiest way to reproduce is to pop the bass on full and turn the volume up a little. Song choice will help too... Seven Nation Army might call the number plate to fall off!! Lol

double sided fixing tape at the ends

Oh the irony... Double sided tape to fix a£40k motor. The Germans are rolling around laughing already.

Well its not exactly a problem with the car is it? Its an installation issue. Id rather have a rattling number plate than an electrical nightmare of an Audi, Merc or BMW

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links