Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi there my father in laws 1998 ls400 has been cutting out for over a year now and they have learned to live with it but it's dangerous so am trying to find out what it could be. They say they are driving along when all of a sudden it cuts out leaving no power steering no dashboard lights etc, they jiggle the keys and its then back to life. Car has to been driven for a while I.e. Half hour or so before it plays up and then can be ok after that, strange one. Seems ignition problem to me but you can,t get it to do it by jiggling keys before its cut out. Any ideas please would be appreciated. 88,000 miles on clock.

This could be so many things it may be worth having a diagnostic. Problem is intermittent faults may not show up. Anyone know of an obd 11 reader that works with our cars?? When I was looking into my intermittent starter problems the lexus service guy did say that he'd never replaced an ignition switch (think he's been there 18 years or so)

Right just spoke with the in laws and they have just told me the engine keeps running but they loose all dashboard lights and power steering, headlight light on dash is only light that stays on if head lights are on. It can happen at anytime and normally only once on a journey somewhere and other thing seems to happen when turning slightly on curved road or on a roundabout. Jiggle key and comes back on.Had this issue since owned so for last ten years now !! They live with it but something not right somewhere.

Loose power steering confuses me as pump operated from drive belt off engine ? Or electric ?

I get exactly the same thing on my ’96 Mk3, and as suggested
it’s usually after a little while of driving (perhaps some bit of plastic
gradually warms up, expands then something in the ignition switch breaks
contact?).

There was another post about this on here and it seemed the

switch was definitely the problem. I’m living with mine but I’ve replaced one
before on a Camry of similar age, it wasn’t too hard to do so should be a
relatively cheap fix once you’ve bought the part and not worth spending lots of
money on diagnostics to investigate it.

• Like 2

If you have same problem then that's interesting to know, may look into getting another switch so should be able to replace switch and keep,centre barrel so keep same keys I believe.

Let me know the definitive answer too please ....... mine's been like it ever since I bought the car . as you say . one learns to live with this silly niggle ............. even though this aberration is rare in my case. .......... but it's best not too really

Malc

I might be wrong but looks like a plastic round switch which screws on back off ignition assembly, so am I right in thinking this can be replaced without the need to replace any keys ? Not sure how much of a job this will be also. Anyone done this ?

hi

i have done this - it took me about 45 mins - you will need a drill/driver with one of those flexible bendu connectors to undoe the screws on the back of the ignition switch

have a read here also:

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/95281-electrical-fault/

A little bit more info in this thread too:

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/95281-electrical-fault/

In some respects it is easy enough to live with, but I must admit when everything cuts out on a dark country road it can be a little unnerving and potentially dangerous if it's on a bend or when other traffic is around. If mine gets through its MoT OK then it's something I'll be doing.

Lurch

If you look through the archives on my posts you will find a comprehensive analysis of this problem I posted on the subject earlier this year June/July and again in November when another member raised the issue.

The replacement switch is £85 from Lexus but can be sourced for half that price elsewhere.

Thanks have had a look but can,t seem to find that part for a LS all other lexus models but no one lists the LS. The part number in the previous posts (USA part number) doesn't match any listed on eBay etc. without taking it off and looking for a number, may have to give lexus a call and get uk part number.

Have used amayama before for gearbox parts on my RAV4 , they were excellent so may drop them an enquiry to see if cheaper including delivery etc. you say I need a flexible socket drive to make life easier to remove ? Can I just remove from behind ignition column or does everything (column) have to come off to be able to access it.

Not having removed one myself yet ,I thought at first glance the bottom panel as to be removed but someone who as done it posted on here that with a flexible screwneck (the switch is screwed on to the end of the ignition barrell with philips screwheads)there is no removal of panels required.

as far as can remember you just need to remove the panels and the air duct. The swan neck is required there is no room for screwriver - i just placed the screw driver bit on the screws with the swan neck and undid with a driver - took 2 seconds to remove

hope this helps

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links