Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is250 Advanced Mpg Figures

Hi,

Sorry as I know this has most probably been covered many times.

I wife has a 2010 IS200D advanced and she quite likes even with its annoying manual gearbox. Her daily school drop and commute to work is about 10 miles and this can be in traffic. The Car around town currently gets an average of 29MPG.

I said it would be better for her to get an automatic 250 Advanced petrol as the urban MPG would be no different and come to think of it the motorway too. Although the yearly road tax is more the cost of diesel is more so in summary by changing car she would have a far better driving machine that wont really cost any more.

Can anyone comment on around town driving MPG for the 250 advance Auto or just 250 auto. Most probably looking at a 2010 - 2012 model.

Thanks

Hi I had a 2010 250 SE-L which was at the time top of the range , around town I was getting 28/30 mpg and on a run about 35/37 mpg . The other thing to think about if the car is not doing long motorway style runs then there is a chance of the diesel motor choking up . A diesel should have a high speed run once every 4/6 weeks to keep it clean as told to me by my local lexus dealer ...!

Sent from my iPad using Lexus OC

Hi,

I have gone recently from a 1.9 Alfa 159 diesel to a Lexus Is 250 advance auto Petrol, I can see the fuel gauge dropping as I drive, :D but it is a fabulous smooth motor.

Only had it a few weeks and have not had time to gauge the fuel usage, but first impression is that its thirsty.

I wife has a 2010 IS200D advanced and she quite likes even with its annoying manual gearbox. Her daily school drop and commute to work is about 10 miles and this can be in traffic. The Car around town currently gets an average of 29MPG.

I said it would be better for her to get an automatic 250 Advanced petrol as the urban MPG would be no different and come to think of it the motorway too. Although the yearly road tax is more the cost of diesel is more so in summary by changing car she would have a far better driving machine that wont really cost any more.

Can anyone comment on around town driving MPG for the 250 advance Auto or just 250 auto. Most probably looking at a 2010 - 2012 model.

I think you'd be lucky to get 29MPG around town in an IS250 - 25 would probably be a more realistic target.

Of course, the driving experience would be in a different league with the automatic transmission and the refined petrol engine.

• 3 years later...

10 miles... move to plugin Hybrid. 

Merc C350e is the best car I can recommend. If running in petrol mode, you get atleast 45mpg. If you keep it charged, well... double that.

Lexus should jump into Plugin. Sorry for hi jack.

13 minutes ago, mk_lon said:

I live in London and I barely get 20mpg, but most of journeys are start stop traffic, even when I drive like a granny... 

Yes but ohh the Luxury....

• Haha 1

I got 45mpg in London with C350e Petrol Hybrid. Didn't charge it. If I plan it i.e. charge it, I do not fill for months. Mercedes say 135mpg but that is not real. But if I do charge and use engine I hit 90mpg easily. If I go to work and back in London and make sure it is charged, well... the petrol engine never kicks in.

I did my math, keeping the is250 costs me more then depreciation of c350e. You get perks of owning a new luxury car and a more kitted car. No tax, low insurance, no mot for a while, no congestion fee, free parking for few hours, faster car...

Bad side for me is, I do not think I can do DIY on a Merc. Star/torx screw everywhere... I am sure there will be special screws when I get to real stuff. Sell my soul to get it fixed if it breaks? Unless under warranty.

I get max 22mpg from is250. 305 tax. Congestion charges, pay parking if I have to. Old noisy car as compared. I don't know how good is IS300h but I am sure it will be better than is250.

Why did Lexus not go plugin hybrid? What am I missing here? Where is Linas to explain it to me 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think so... C350e has air suspension. Eco mode, comfort, sport, sport +. Comfort is just like being on a boat. No engine or outside noise. I don't want to yap about it on a Lexus forum. One must drive one to know difference.

Does IS300h have air suspension?

On 7/15/2018 at 1:49 PM, jackcramerr said:

Why did Lexus not go plugin hybrid? What am I missing here? Where is Linas to explain it to me 🙂

I was saying that for ages - my guess is that UK is too small market for Lexus to bother to comply with the local rules. Otherwise it makes no sense - new BMWs and MBs are faster, more fuel efficient and more affordable/available then Lexus.

As well not sure about how did you come to conclusion that depreciation on MB C350E will be lower then running cost of IS250. I did same calculation and depreciation on new car is like 5 times more then entire running cost of IS250... that is pretty much the only reason I am still sticking with IS250 - I cannot stand depreciation. 

My calculation -  new C350E with decent options is ~£40k, the depreciation over 3 years going to be 50%, so only depreciation on the car will be £20k or £6,333 year, add running cost and whatever minimal fuel necessary , £140 basic road tax so say, £1k for insurance £1500 year and running costs + depreciation and new car will cost £8000 a year to run. IS250 costs depreciation is probably £200 a year nowadays, because it is already at rock bottom prices, ok fuel will be £1500, insurance is about the same in my case, road tax is £305... so we get around £2000 in running costs a year... still at least 4 times less then new MB and that is not even counting you actually need to pay for new car is doesn't comes free somehow. If anything for year depreciation of MB C350E you can buy reasonably equipped IS250 and run it for 3 year and still have money to spare.

@jackcramerr - no IS300h doesn't have air suspension. I don't thing any saloon does, with exception of like S-class, some old 5-series BMWs... Air suspension is mostly SUV option.

7 hours ago, jackcramerr said:

I don't think so... C350e has air suspension. Eco mode, comfort, sport, sport +. Comfort is just like being on a boat. No engine or outside noise. I don't want to yap about it on a Lexus forum. One must drive one to know difference.

Does IS300h have air suspension?

I'm referring to the e90 and w204 shape, those shapes would be rivals to the mk2 shape of is250. Compare apples with apples.... 

I agree that the c350e is better than the is300h, the mk3 is300h interior looks ugly and cheap, that put me off it. I think the mk2 is has a better looking interior. Whilst the price of the c350 put me off, I don't have £40 ish grand... 

1 hour ago, mk_lon said:

I agree that the c350e is better than the is300h, the mk3 is300h interior looks ugly and cheap, that put me off it. I think the mk2 is has a better looking interior. Whilst the price of the c350 put me off, I don't have £40 ish grand... 

I do, but I cannot swallow £20k depreciation over few first years of ownership. High depreciation in UK just drives me mad and I don't understand how people justify that cost. It is one thing having to spend money on car up-keeping, maintenance etc. and completely another just understanding that you are loosing money into thin air for nothing due to depreciation... and that is on top of actually paying for the car, maintenance etc. I think the only way is possible to "justify" it is employing tax loopholes getting car via company and offsetting depreciation against tax... so that basically society pays the depreciation - completely legal, but not-exactly moral I guess.

Many people are leasing and have car on finance etc. Leasing is NOT owning.

I think leasing has driven this depreciation. Plus people wanting new reg. 

Always go for a 3 year old car.

I am certainly not impressed by IS300h. IS250 must have been impressive in its time. It looks more posh inside.

• Like 1

I don't think IS300h is bad or that interior is poor, however as both of you said IS250 felt better inside. IS300h materials feels light, feels fragile... which gives that cheap feeling. I am sure IS300h is just as reliable and well built, but it doesn't feels that way, in some ways it feels more comparable with Korean cars (overall lightness) i.e. more luxury Kias, Hyundais etc. In other hand I was appalled by build quality and materials in E350E I had for testdive... it felt cheaper then IS300h. So here I am not sure are you saying C350E is better built then E350E? Or that is my spoiled opinion comparing everything against IS250?

As for leasing, you still pay for depreciation, you just pay more lease - certainly leasing company doesn't just write that off.

16 hours ago, jackcramerr said:

I think leasing has driven this depreciation. Plus people wanting new reg. 

Depreciation was always there but leasing has allowed manufacturers to massively increase the list price of vehicles over the last 6 years without people really noticing - they are just concerned if they can afford the monthly payments. Now the lease terms are creeping up from 3 years to 4 or 5 years, again to hide the list price increases - even worse in the US where some lease durations are up to 7 years.

Or they put "balloon" payment which exceed the used car value several times e.g. I was quoted £690/36 Month+10% deposit for £69k Volvo S90 and £46k "guaranteed value" payment after 3 years. You would think you paid in £41k and you will be about half way paying back the car, think again. The point here - they would make me pay for car's depreciation, for them remaining value will be £28.4k, which will be somewhat more realistic used car price.