Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Steering

My steering seems very 'heavy' - the car sometimes legitimately needs two hands to steer it.

It is a new model IS200 SE - with around 2500 miles on it.

Any ideas what it could be, to save me a trip to the dealer?

I am not much of a gearhead - I have checked that there is plenty of power steering fluid -that doesn't seem to be the problem.

Incorrect wheel alignment is not a factor of car age. You could have hit a curb.

Maybe your power steering hydraulics are not working right. Like when the engine is turned off and there is no pressure in the power steering. You can still turn the wheel but it's real hard.

I would get it checked out.

PS The power steering is progressive on the IS, that is it gets more resistant the faster the speed. This is to increase the road feel. But it's never really resistant.

Nope That doesnt sound right to me at all!! I would definatley get it checked out!! Sounds like maybe the power steering fluid could be low or maybe the belt is slipping a bit!

My power steering system failed after losing all of it's fluid (must of happened quickly as I didn't notice it). Made a nasty griding noise and then became heavy.

The dealer seemed pretty shocked and said that they had never seen that fault before.