Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi if you don't have standard factory xenon's then you will need to install HID kit, which I had to do. Very easy to do and will take 30-40 minutes to install. Plug and Play

If you are looking for a bright light with hint of blue then go for a 6000K kit - Highly recommended!!! - I have this now

If you want very bright white light then go for the 4500k-5000k kit - Factory look with no blue hint

If you want a more blue look then go for the 8000K kit - This looks very good on a black car - I will be getting this next

If you want a purple look then go for 10000K - I would not recommend this, also you will be pulled over by police!

When buying the after market kit you will find 35W kit and a 55W kit. The 55W kit will be much brighter but make sure the ballast his AC output and not cheap Digital Output like some £15-£20 kits will be.

I purchased eBay item number: 301120250761

Hope this helps....also you will find that there is not much variety with the H11 bulb like the is with H7 or other sets.

Mine one is IS250 SE-L with factory standard Xenon hid headlamp, I am going to change to 10000k hid Xenon bulb to get white-blue and bright enough, as when i was driving on motorway, i think its not enough visibility using the factory hid, therefore i want to change it to 10000k bulb with brighter and have white-blue colour for my headlight.

any preferred ???

My experience is that anything other than a genuine "big brand" HID lamp is a waste of time.

I put some 6000K HIDs in mine. Although I kind of suspected they were a lot dimmer, I didn't believe it at the time (as I replaced both bulbs in mid-Summer when I hardly used them, and shortly after I got the car, so I wasn't familiar with what the headlights were meant to look like.

The first 6000K burned out after about 10k miles, at which point I changed both bulbs for Philips. When I eventually replaced it, the difference between them and Philips 4300K was night-and-day. The 6000K was so dim, it was barely better than a regular halogen.

I've seen some other HIDs on display, and the 10000K are a lot dimmer still - plus the blue light they give causes a lot of glare, especially in fog. Not recommended - the light quality simply isn't good enough.

Fair enough if you want to try, but it's a lot of work changing the bulbs because they are very difficult to get to. Just be aware, that the "show" colour HIDs are generally of poor quality, dim and burn out very quickly.

Pretty sure anything over 6000k is illegal in the U.K. and that said 10000k is definitely illegal...

Technically, if the bulb isn't "E" marked, it is illegal.

Only 4300K bulbs can be E marked. Cheap HIDs, even of the same colour, often aren't E marked.

In reality it makes no real difference, as no one is going to take a bulb out to check it - except in the situation in which some terrible accident happens, and you get prosecuted for CDCD or CDDD, and the cops are looking to nail you to the wall.

So Chump..are you running Philips Xenon bulbs now rather than a HID kit and you say its a lot brighter.

I have had my HID conversion kit for past 10 months and it's great and super bright without glare...I have 6000K which is E marked. Checked at MOT no problem. This is only legal if you have projector headlamps.

However I have seen the Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited and they look really cool and are a great upgrade from standard halogens. £30 a pair thou but worth it, if you don't want the HID kit conversion

I did have 8000k and 10000k Xenon hid before and i got passed on my mot......but now i bought and changed to a pair of new headlamps with factory Xenon hid bulbs, I want to see any brands of Xenon hid with 8000k or 10000k thats will have a brighter and longer distance during motorway with white-blue colour :) ????

I saw most of you guys mentioned about the Osram Nightbreaker, is it I need to search on D4S bulbs ???? are they with 6000k or 8000k or 10000k ???

if you don't have self levelling motor or washers that could be a problem for a MOT, forget what Mercedes are using just get a osram night breaker to be honest, legal and quick fix.

The rules for hids are that they need to be projectors. The lenses are made of glass and that they are self levelling and also that you have washers. However I dont think that police will actually pull you over unless you don't have projectors. And passing an mot will be fine anyways. I have 10000k fitted and there amazing. So bright and easy to see. No issues with fog.

Osram night breaker are halogen - much dimmer than HID. Only suitable if your car takes halogen bulbs. If you have HID lights you need a HID bulb.

Night breakers are OK, but they are only designed to run for 100 hours or so, so you'll be changing them every 3 - 6months.

I have OEM HID on my car, and when the bulbs burned out I changed them for 6000K D4S bulbs - they worked, but when one of those burned out I put Philips D4S in and it was much brighter. Visibility was so much better.

I've seen 10000K on display and they are a lot dimmer. Even the eBay sellers advertise them as 30% less bright,which is saying something.

Before anybody does this bulb changing, the first thing to do is check the rules regarding MOT, your car will fail if some aftermarket kit is fitted, non E marked for example, some kits require a self levelling system on the car, if it don't have it them also fail.

If the car wasn't built with HID, then chances are it isn't going to pass an MOT if you put them on.

Simple thing is check with your local MOT tester and they will tell you whether you on on to a waste of money exercise. Failing that ask a traffic officer, they are the ones who will pull you and ticket you, happened to a mate of mine, 3pts, fixed penalty, buying and installing the kit and the cost of removing the kit, he was not a happy chap. He also had to have the vehicle towed as the police would not allow it to be driven.

And don't ever buy that cheap crap of eBay, you would be better off putting an candle in there for what they are and how long they last.

I believe Osram do some sort of 'Cool Blue' HID bulbs now that Mercedes fit as standard but I think even these are only 5000K

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OSRAM-XENARC-COOL-BLUE-INTENSE-D4S-XENON-HID-CAR-BULB-SINGLE-/251688775784?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a99d1f068

I believe Osram do some sort of 'Cool Blue' HID bulbs now that Mercedes fit as standard but I think even these are only 5000K

In order to be E marked as Road legal, the bulb must be exactly the same brightness as the original. The osram cool blue bulbs are.

I've never seen a 6000K or higher bulb which is as bright of original. I don't think the technology to do this actually exists, but am happy to be proved wrong. Even the Philips aftermarket 6000K are simply too dim to meet the standard and are only available in Japan where the law is different.

In order to be E marked as Road legal, the bulb must be exactly the same brightness as the original. The osram cool blue bulbs are.

I've never seen a 6000K or higher bulb which is as bright of original. I don't think the technology to do this actually exists, but am happy to be proved wrong. Even the Philips aftermarket 6000K are simply too dim to meet the standard and are only available in Japan where the law is different.

Not exactly true exactly the same as the original.

Try this information for the correct legal term of E Marked.

E-mark approval on a lamp basically means that it has been tested by an approved photometric laboratory and has achieved the standards laid down by the EC for fitment to a vehicle within the European Union. There are other regulations which apply in the UK, such as those for Construction and Use, but broadly speaking, vehicles registered from 1986 onwards are required to have e-marked lights if they are used on a public road.

.Gov can give you most legal info about anything car related if you search it.

The above info als has this as well.

Given the fact that there could be insurance- or even legal implications if a vehicle without e-marked lights is involved in an accident, always follow the manufacturer or distributors guidelines when fitting & using styling lighting. Some lights, for instance, are not legal for road use, and if you do fit them to your car you assume all responsibility for any consequences thereof.

10000K - what is claimed by the seller on eBay. Reality is going to be something completely different with an artificial tint, poor performance and made of the finest Chinesium.

'blue' light isn't that useful for night driving anyway, and is appalingly bad for the other drivers who are near you on the road since it's great at ruining dark adaptation. If you want something brighter then look for that, but don't just chav it up.

• Like 1