Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Usb Error 4

PaulWhitt20

Occasionally when I start the car I get a USB error 4 from the music system and it won't play music from the USB stick. If I turn the car off and on again it sorts it out and works fine until the next time.

Anyone else had this problem? What causes it? What fixes it?

Standard (non navigation or DAB) music system 2013 model year.

Thanks

Paul

• 5 years later...
  • 1 year later...
40 minutes ago, OriginalTerryplayz said:

I have the same problem to and restarts the car does work. I don’t know there is a fix

I never had this problem on our 2013 CT (I used to use a 32GB stick in that vehicle) but one thing that may help here a little - you probably don't need to restart the entire car - just reboot the infotainment system by holding in the power/volume knob for about 5s till it restarts.

Paul

• 1 year later...

I cured my problem by transferring my music to a new, smaller 8gb usb. I had tried using other previously used usb sticks and they all created issues with playback. I concluded it was something to do with the formatting of previous devices. Dunno!

But what I do know is I have had no issues in the 3 years since 😉

I have no problem with a 32Gb stick as long as I have the files in MP3 format, which limit quality to 320kbps. When trying all the lossless formats I know to get higher quality, USB stick has nothing on it. 320kbps is almost same as old Bluetooth transfer-rate, so no real reason using that, Bluetooth is wireless. Latest Bluetooth has 16bit 44KHz transfer which is same as CD quality (next generation Bluetooth will supposedly have 24-bit 92KHz), but the 2017 model we have, has the old Bluetooth which is not super, so when wanting to get the best out of the good ML audio line-in is the best. Even new phones without line-out can be used with an adapter:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144792185708?hash=item21b6496b6c:g:eYIAAOSwcH5ez1qa&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA4FkOy4PdxcQ79bXHuDWZ7XelOL5J95v4LmzITkbD%2FEjVurF6Ow1mR93OeJRTo2xPuejxyF1t6CmtDQ3kACp2p0HiuZfh4OfGguzU0ltl3LpQq2lhi7Wnrnk5MV6ZnV811Q64KEJn21aARl4tLBpUMDWgyiaVwp7sVU3QaT0w5bXGvvGTeUBuHLO1HutPV18CdTQ9A33yQ1v3w2ZdKwY58jP43gIrfiKpEHRDaGKOmf6uhPCxxmrVjD7CIXUpAMXEwalozPhCCKWkuGrqfxroYP%2BYDHqcA%2F03ots2aMIpvQdg|tkp%3ABFBM6MaVw59h

some of the adapters can supposedly charge the phone at the same time (never tried that):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155041190993?hash=item24192cd451:g:6aQAAOSwTLhirD-S&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA4DfRrhXDMQYhzeoOSkqEeA%2B5M5yCEmY95y%2BV9eiqTO%2F4EZYPHjziDsxOng5dO05IUn%2FL%2FcqRGfsSM8knAoZQR8sqOFwU%2Fdik%2Bej7kvv%2F5%2B7Uk7IymqutWVUS1%2FAY7BA%2Fv7w8Ve%2Bg5jBsKwR%2FUy5vdqG2JHWTukfjEoOGsdrVWyjgKv%2FqjXVlOQuOMkWnUaz%2BZRPYqaaoZvDWdXgB728FQZIfewcRd9RF8ptCxMTw141GUQJHr5xWydO3gTxGOeqCxkm04eR8PSh8YfNuSdJxDmSIwMDTLATumfxkKY61dbBt|tkp%3ABk9SR-jGlcOfYQ

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

There is a problem with charging phone from USB in car. Or maybe that is not why the USB is in the car.

Bought a

image.thumb.png.36f96aa656bd2fb865e269a910410a1a.png

to find out if any power is coming from the USB and found out that almost nothing come from it. Only 4.49V and .3A, which will fill up a phone in a couple of days.

So, no! That is not the place to recharge the phone.

55 minutes ago, DavidCM said:

Depending on where your usb socket is,you might have some dust/fluff in it.

2 USB sockets next to each other with a rubber cover on them. Same result from both. It cannot be a fuse as then there would be no power at all. Unlikely same dust on both USB.

.3 to .4A is hardly enough to keep a new powerful phone charged. Probably was in 2011, but phones have powerhungry screens and chips now. So if needed to charge a phone in car we need a 12V to 5 - 6 - 7V with at least 3 A unless we want phone to be permanently wired to the meagre USB port. The Samsung A71 has a 9V 3A output from 220-240V power supply

• Confused 1