Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

3S-Ge Engine Knocking/rattle! :(

RS Tom-Hundred

Hi guys, really could do with your help please as I've got a serious knocking/rattle that has come on very quickly today! Had a search on here and came back with a few things but nothing that seemed to point straight to it (apologies if it is my searching skills and missed something). Hoping someone will recognise the noise from a video please.

It happens whether I'm driving or if just revving and not in gear. Doesn't do it on idle but starts after about 2k and gets worse around 3 or 4k. Tried it once above that (was too scared of **** something up to do it again!) and couldn’t hear it from inside the car cos of other engine/exhaust noise. Only tried it more from inside the engine bay working the throttle so couldn’t accurately judge the revs (and still didn’t want to push it too high)

The noise seems to be coming from the top of the engine and from the right (exhaust) side cam. Also seems to be nearer the front (sprocket) end. Weirdly, it is more of a knock than a rattle like a big end noise but definitely seems higher up and also seems to be more "in time" with camshaft or specific cylinder than at the crank. Also I would have thought there may be some feel in the transmission maybe if so or that it would have been more gradual than not hearing any noise to it being like this tonight.

Just in case it is important, I stopped at some traffic lights suddenly cos someone pulled in front and cut me up last minute! As I was shouting road rage, I must have forgot to put it in 1st gear cos when they changed I tried to pull off and stalled cos it was in 3rd! I first noticed the noise about half a mile later. Can't see how the stalling it first would cause the issue but thought it was worth mentioning just in case :)

Here's a link to the video on Youtube (hopefully)

http://youtu.be/QmD-Z0y7VIM

Anyone know what the noise is please? Any suggestions or things to try would be
greatly welcome :)

THat sounds like a problem with the VVTI system which alters the camshaft timing, 1st thing to check is the engine oil condition and level along with the separate VVTI oil filter which does clog and cause oil starvation/low oil pressure to the actuators.

Thanks for the reply :)

Oil level has dropped a bit since when I bought it in the middle of November but it was at about half way then and it is still at about 3rd up from bottom mark. Funnily enough, I ordered some oil yesterday which should be delivered next week cos I am planning on doing an oil change this month.
There has always been a bit of a leak of oil coming from somewhere though. Not enough to ever leave any on the ground but can be seen in these photos I took last night.
Some down the bottom at the front:
78b1a654-e205-4b5f-bff9-526b35d66af4.jpg
And at top round the back:
DSC_0034Custom.jpg
(I understand the cam cover gaskets can weep a bit on these engines though - is that right?)

The oil in there doesn't look old from the stick and was supposedly changed under 4k ago (I planned to do the first change next week at about 4k)
That sounds interesting about the separate oil filter - didn't know about that! Where abouts is it located please and what is it like to change? Can they be got hold of easily? That would certainly explain why the noise is coming from where it seems to be coming from if the actuators were starved of oil. Thanks Steve :)

• 1 month later...
UPDATE!!!

On Saturday we got the engine out. bit annoying as it came out pretty easy but spent a while trying to get the angle brackets on the balance beam chains to mount somewhere on the engine and wasted a lot of time cos it just wasnt going to go anywhere and unfortunately the chains were fixed (couldnt remove from the brackets to use other eyes that Dad had with him)

So in the end we bolted on two of these said eyes and used a few lashings of nylon rope between and then straight onto the hook of the crane!

Car%2021.%207th%20Mar%203.jpg

Then we couldnt get a good combo to mount points on the engine stand to mount to the bell housing of the engine so we craned it onto my workbench and then manhandled it through the gate to the back garden (few metres) so could wrap it up and make it water proof overnight as unfortunately, I had to leave off for Nottingham for a gig on Saturday afternoon.

Next day we realised that we needed some longer fine thread bolts (M10 x 1.25) that would screw into the bell housing and probably some M10 threaded rod or long standard bolts that would pass through the other holes to clamp the engine to the stand via the flywheel end but after a bit of head scratching and few ideas, we realised we could clamp it on the side of the block straight to the engine stand plate without the adjuster tube bits, so we did that and swivelled it around so that the engine was upside down at an angle to work on

Car%2022.%208th%20March%2022.jpg

After struggling with the main sump section on the bottom of the engine (first with the sealant and then realising we had missed two bots which were hidden down a couple of tube bits of casting! Whoops! [that will explain why it wont come off then!]) we got it off so we could see the big end bearings, main bearings and crank etc.

Car%2022.%208th%20March%2029.jpg

Had a little look and then touched the big end bearing for cylinder one where we thought the issue might be and its safe to say that is deffo the issue and there is a lot of movement there that there shouldnt be! Here's a quick video I took (excuse my Dad asking me where the 14mm socket is)

Ouch! :(

Unfortunately, at that point it started to rain so we had to quickly cover up the engine and stand and go inside. But got out there again later when it stopped and whipped the cap off to get the bearings shells out. Not surprisingly looking really bad but annoyingly the rain came back and then it got dark so no more time to get any further!

Feel relieved to have found something but no idea whether its just bearings or crank regrind will be needed or if damage to the caps or rod or anything else yet! Need to get some threaded rod and/or longer M10 x 1.25 fine thread bolts so can get it mounted properly and when I next have some time off in daylight we need to get the crank out to measure everything and see the extent that is needed to get it sorted. Im crossing my fingers but deep down knowing that this could be a lot of work and a big headache/expense around the corner!

Wish me luck! (and let me know if you have any bolts of that pitch that are longer than 100mm please! LOL)