Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I have been experiencing problems with the air suspension system on my LS430:

The left rear ride hight sensor link broke causing a bit of a collapse - a bodge sorted this out for 12 months. However, I now have a leak in an air bag and the compressor can just about keep up but that will probaly fail soon. The right hand rear bag has cracks in it so will not last long and I expect the holey bag to fail at anytime.

So the problem statement is: 1 duff ride height sensor, 1 leaking rear air bag, 1 'tired' looking air bag and a noisy air compressor (caused by a collision with a traffic cone - a long story).

Solution 1 - spend thousands and fix the lot - not acceptable I am a Yorkshire Man with an old car.

Solution 2 - scrap the car - not acceptable it drives like new - suspension excepted

Solution 3 - convert to coil springs - looks affordable - £650 plus shipping from the US, duty, VAT and labour (4 hours or so)

So has anybody converted their Premium Pack LS430 to 'normal' suspension and what was the outcome?

Are there any UK or European suppliers anyone knows of?

There are a couple in the US that I am looking at - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261311197422?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT - is a good contender.

Any insight would be appreciated guys - I have not been on the forum much this year (work) and it seems there is still no shortage of opinions :)

regards

Bren

It seems that many LS400s have been sucessfully converted,I have one on springs and another on air so can't see why the 430 should not be the same.

There is a website www.lextreme.com which details the proceedure on the 400.

Regarding UK suppliers there must be some who could supply decent aftermarket struts,perhaps adjustable coilovers would be the way to go.

I had this conversation with the guy who replaced a rear height sensor a couple of weeks ago. He said he'd looked into it in the past and the cost is far too prohibitive. It's not just the parts but the long labour hours. It would probably workout less in the end having the air shocks replaced. The height sensors can be taken apart and cleaned, mine cost £315+VAT for the part, but fitting is quick and fairly easy.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that from 2000-2003 LS430s other than Premium Pack had coil springs - Premium Pack had air suspension as standard and I think it was optional on non-Premium Pack cars.

After 2003 air suspension became standard across the range.

I think this is correct but I am sure someone more knowledgable will confirm this or not, as the case may be.

I would try to source new or second hand parts and continue on air.

To convert, Meister R supply coil-overs for Lexus but they don't list any for the LS it may be worth contacting them as they enjoy a good reputation with many Lexus owners.

http://www.suncoreindustries.com/lexus-ls430-suspension.php

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/lexus-ls430-shocks

Couple of links to conversion kits for you, and as said above, our American equivalent site is a good place to research.

Interesting thread, I doubt I'll ever own a 430, but if I did, I'd be very tempted to convert to sprung suspension.

eBay item numbers

291353471127. This is an LS430 04 reg up for sale thats been converted. Would disabling the system bring up a fault code on the dash lights?. Maybe message the owner for some info.

221642869207. 371221077622.

Front and rear air suspension kits from Italy. About half the Lexus price.

I believe the 1st 430's were normal springs, no massaging seats, fridge, soft close doors, parking sensors etc. The premium pack was an option, but from 2002 all 430's were premium pack and another little face lift in 2004, 18" alloys, reverse camera etc. I stand corrected. Jim

So I have taken the plunge and order the bit from the bay in the US - there are no suppliers in The UK or Europe.

I'll give you an update when it is done.

The bits were $880 with $195 shipping - the sting will be VAT and import duty (4.5% + 20%) :(

The conversion is easy - unlike some comments in the thread guys - it is 1 hour per leg.

As far as the system goes pull the compressor fuse (I am going to ditch the whole thing - I don't need to carry useless iron about), you need to keep the ride height sensors connected - one of mine is duff (bodged at the moment) so will need to work on that.

I have an LPG conversion so I may need to put in some towing springs if the conversion is not adjustable - we will see what happens and my garage has done the is before.

I think it will cost me just ober £1000 for the job - which works for me. One new rear leg is £850 plus fitting - one leaks the other will be soon. The ride height sensors are not great - have a look under a 230K LS430 and you will not be impressed by what you see :)

Somebody asked about the premium pack - not many 430s were sold in the UK without it because dealers thought the resale value would be lower. Let's be fair I used to change my Lexus every 2 years, so I didn't give a stuff about what would happen at 230K miles :)

I have had 4 coil sprung Lexus' (1 X 300 and 3 X 400) and quite frankly cannot tell the difference.

If I get 1 more year out of the beast I will be happy.

Cheers

Bren

So I have taken the plunge and order the bit from the bay in the US - there are no suppliers in The UK or Europe.

I'll give you an update when it is done.

The bits were $880 with $195 shipping - the sting will be VAT and import duty (4.5% + 20%) :(

The conversion is easy - unlike some comments in the thread guys - it is 1 hour per leg.

As far as the system goes pull the compressor fuse (I am going to ditch the whole thing - I don't need to carry useless iron about), you need to keep the ride height sensors connected - one of mine is duff (bodged at the moment) so will need to work on that.

I have an LPG conversion so I may need to put in some towing springs if the conversion is not adjustable - we will see what happens and my garage has done the is before.

I think it will cost me just ober £1000 for the job - which works for me. One new rear leg is £850 plus fitting - one leaks the other will be soon. The ride height sensors are not great - have a look under a 230K LS430 and you will not be impressed by what you see :)

Somebody asked about the premium pack - not many 430s were sold in the UK without it because dealers thought the resale value would be lower. Let's be fair I used to change my Lexus every 2 years, so I didn't give a stuff about what would happen at 230K miles :)

I have had 4 coil sprung Lexus' (1 X 300 and 3 X 400) and quite frankly cannot tell the difference.

If I get 1 more year out of the beast I will be happy.

Cheers

Bren

Really interested to see how you get on with this. I've also had two LS400's and I don't think the air system feels any better!

Very interested in this. Please let us know how you get on. Can I ask - would you be able to give a list of parts that you ordered and where from? Were they OEM or aftermarket?

Thanks

A quick update - the job has been done and the car is fantastic - I have only done 25 miles but it is great to have a level car without a 'wobbley' backend.

I need to get the alignment checked (this afternoon if I can get away) but it feels and drives brilliantly.

I will post an update with all the details, bits and costs etc - the good news is the ride is still fantastic.

The kit was after market from the US and is high spec and simple to fit.

Cheers

A very happy Bren

Exellent news, glad you're happy with it.

In my eyes, your car has also become a much better proposition if you were wanting to sell, so overall, money well spent.

If you could put up links to who you used, that would be very helpful I think, for anybody wanting to do the same job.

Great news and really pleased that it has worked out well for you.

I will be interested to see what is involved when you post an update (even though I don't have LS430).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm just curious so I'm resurrecting this again. I've PM'd Brendan for an update but had no reply. I may have the chance to buy another LS430 in the very near future from a friend of a friend. If I did, I would want to get the conversion done for peace of mind. I've contacted a company in the US re price and shipping. There's also this company in the UK. They won't reply to any of my messages but I'm wondering if these will do the job.

What do you think?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BC-Racing-BR-Coilover-Suspension-Lexus-LS430-2000-07-/290371983867?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item439b84d9fb

The other thing Brendan mentioned was that the job wasn't as involved as some say. I thought the rear seat had to come out, does anyone know if that's the case?

I saw those struts when I got curious about the origins of mine. They look far better value, and no ultra long distance selling issues.

Still no response from them? I ask because I have a later 430 in mind, and the only way to buy them is after the air suspension has failed :)

My car came fitted with these: http://www.strutmasters.com/products/2000-2006-lexus-ls430-4-wheel-air-suspension-conversion-kit-td14f/

I was stunned by the price. I'd want a lifetime parts and labour guarantee for that!

I saw those struts when I got curious about the origins of mine. They look far better value, and no ultra long distance selling issues.

Still no response from them? I ask because I have a later 430 in mind, and the only way to buy them is after the air suspension has failed :)

My car came fitted with these: http://www.strutmasters.com/products/2000-2006-lexus-ls430-4-wheel-air-suspension-conversion-kit-td14f/

I was stunned by the price. I'd want a lifetime parts and labour guarantee for that!

The Strutmaster ones aren't bad when you convert it to Sterling, it's just under £850, which is the price of one air strut!

I've still had no response, so I suppose I'll have to phone them. In complete contrast, I contacted a US company and they responded (allowing for the time difference) immediately, very helpful, very courteous etc. With shipping it works out to £1,100, plus there will be VAT on that. The kit contains all that's needed, including details of how to remove the dash fault code when the new ones are fitted.

So it looks like I'll try the British ones should I do it. The price is pretty good, and if I remove the rear seat myself it would cut down on labour costs.

What I really want is some info from someone who has done this so I can know what to expect.